The thrawn Trilogy- Timothy Zahn

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The thrawn Trilogy- Timothy Zahn

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:14 pm

I discovred thi msterpiece out a yard sell. after reading The Last Command, I knew that I had to own the first two. For thse who dont know, its a Staw wars trilogy that akes place five years after episode 6. Han and leia are married and leais has two twins and this maniac clone Jedi Master wants to kidnap them to train them in the sith arts. Meanwhile, the last bit of the empire is being lead by Grand Admirable Thrawn of the chiss Species, and the try to take over the republic.
So who else has read waht i think must be Zahn's greatest work?
(ive only read those three books by him :sweat: )
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Technomancer » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:45 pm

They're not bad, and Thrawn was one of the more interesting villains from the Star Wars books. As far as the books goes, Zahn's also one of the better writers, which is why he was picked to open the new series.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby MasterDias » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:11 pm

I read them and enjoyed them. They are generally considered some of the best books in the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

Zahn also wrote The Hand of Thrawn duology containing Spector of the Past and Vision of the Future. I haven't read those two yet however.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:19 pm

hmmm i need to read those two. do you know waht they are about though?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby MasterDias » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:59 pm

Well, here's the book discription of Specter of the Past.

"From Hugo Award-winning author Timothy Zahn comes a dramatic new chapter in the greatest science fiction epic ever told. Now Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo must battle to safeguard the fledgling New Republic from a dead Imperial warlord--and from itself.

Once the unquestioned master of countless solar systems, the Empire is tottering on the brink of total collapse. Day by day, neutral systems are rushing to join the New Republic coalition. But with the end of the war in sight, the New Republic has fallen victim to its own success. An unwieldy alliance of races and traditions, the confederation now finds itself riven by age-old animosities.

Princess Leia struggles against all odds to hold the New Republic together. But she has powerful enemies. An ambitious Moff Disra leads a conspiracy to divide the uneasy coalition with an ingenious plot to blame the Bothans for a heinous crime that could lead to genocide and civil war. At the same time, Luke Skywalker, along with Lando Calrissian and Talon Karrde, pursues a mysterious group of pirate ships whose crews consist of clones. And then comes the most startling news of all: Grand Admiral Thrawn--believed to be dead for ten years--is reported alive.The most cunning and ruthless warlord in Imperial history has seemingly returned to lead the Empire to triumph.

As Han and Leia try to prevent the unraveling of the New Republic in the face of this fearful and inexplicable threat from the past, Luke sets out to track down the rogue pirate ships. Lurking in the shadows is the enigmatic Major Tierce, a disciple of Emperor Palpatine, sharing his long-dead master's lust for power, schooled in the devious stratagems of Thrawn himself, and armed with his own dark plans for the New Republic and the Empire."
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby JediSonic » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:19 am

I've read every aformentioned book except Vision of the Future, which I am reading right now.

Very, very good books. Certainly the Thrawn trilogy was one of my favorite reads of all time. Spectre of the Past/Vision of the Future are good too, although you may get the impression that a big part of it was just milking the Thrawn cash cow with more sequels. I love stories with action, intrigue, and good humor, and these books are no exception.

"You've been calling president Gavirsom 'Puffers' again, haven't you?" -- Luke Skywalker
JediSonic

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:04 pm

I've read all five of these books and enjoyed all of them greatly. Good plots, agressive and true to spirit star wars battles, and some of the most recognizable villians since the movies. Highly recommended to all fans.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Sephiroth » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:35 pm

i thought all those books were really cool, i always thought Grand Admiral Thrawn was one of the best Star Wars villans ever created, oh by the way theres a new book out by timothy zahn continuing the story from vision of the future, more on the chiss race, outbound flight project and the empire of the hand (of thrawn), its really good as well. If you liked tim zahn's stuff you'll probably also like Micheal Stackpole's stuff - X-Wing series, I, Jedi, and then theres the New Jedi Order books - the galaxy is now invaded by a terrifying enemy from outside the galaxy that are immune to the force. The expanded universe is by far the best aspect of star wars, i think it surpasses even the original trilogy in its best form
Largo (Megatokyo): "Its this thing... and its like, cool... and it does things... cool things!"

Ph34r t3h Cu73 0n3z!
Sephiroth

Postby Six » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:13 am

read the whole star wars EU (extended universe) its mostly just flat amazing... the X-Wing series and all of it, try to start with the books most closely after return of the jedi and just keep going... the quality of all of the books is very high (except the blackfleet crisis trilogy which was just badly written.) but yeah... im really not a star wars geek... well mabye just a little bit 8
Six

Location: Pittsfield MA but i preffer Philly which is where I will be going to College

Postby frahmo » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:24 am

can't remember the title of the book atm, but Timothy Zahn has a new book out in stores now. Kind of a continuation of the thrawn series. As always it was awesome, I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Zahn's work
frahmo

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:56 pm

THrawn id probly the best villian ever created. hes the kind that you cheer for and dont know why, almost as if you dont want him to loose. i dont think the EU better than the Sw films but on equal ground.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:41 pm

I don't think I ever finished that trilogy of books...if I did I don't remember a thing about them. o.O That was like 4 years ago...and I don't have my SW novels anymore, only Shadows of the Empire (which rocks btw) ; _ ;!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Return to Book Corner