Book Recommendations

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Book Recommendations

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:54 pm

i'm looking for a new book to read. my english teacher actually let us pick a book that we wanted to read for our next book critique. that's why i'm taking recommendations. here are some criteria i have:

i'm looking for more of a fantasy/comedy novel
around 300 pages (can be over that limit but not an extremely long book)
lots of action and not very confusing
nice plot and interesting characters
no romance in the novel (or very little romance)

thanks.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:02 pm

Let me be the first to say near anything Terry Pratchett's done. Local library should probably have some of his Discworld series (not so much a series, really, as much as a common universe with some familiar faces). Not all of them are up to par, but odds are you'll enjoy the rest.

And I discourage you from reading the first in the series, as the rest are much better.
Fish and Chips

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:13 pm

Black by Ted Dekker - Think Perelandra (by C.S. Lewis), The Matrix and '24' and you'll get a little idea of what to expect).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:37 pm

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i don't want the book to be really scary or anything. it's okay if there's SOME horror but nothing extremely gruesome or violent. might i also add that i'm not really looking for a series that revolves a great deal around witchcraft and magic, like Harry Potter. more like an adventure type of novel like Lord of the Rings...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:43 pm

Well, it's not dark or overly violent. But it's not comedy either. Thriller/adventure/fantasy.

Many of Terry Prachet's books are great. If you don't understand British humour though, give them a pass.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:52 pm

jon_jinn wrote:oh yeah, i forgot to mention that i don't want the book to be really scary or anything. it's okay if there's SOME horror but nothing extremely gruesome or violent. might i also add that i'm not really looking for a series that revolves a great deal around witchcraft and magic, like Harry Potter. more like an adventure type of novel like Lord of the Rings...

Generally speaking, magic tends to be a background element of Pratchett's work, not to much of a central feature, if you catch my drift. Some books focus on it a tad more, others hardly touch on it. Always some supernatural flavor, though. And Warrior already mentioned British humor.
Fish and Chips

Postby Kaori » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:55 pm

If you can find it, consider checking out Lilith by George Macdonald. It's not comic, but it's an interesting fantasy work by a Christian writer who inspired C.S. Lewis.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Doe Johnson » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:10 pm

I believe you like Ender's Game, have you ever tried Ender's Shadow? If you haven't, you should. It's awesome. (I think its about 400 pages...or however large Ender's Game was...)

The only other short fantasy novel I can even think of that is around 300 pages and doesn't have a huge love story that I can recall is Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. I really liked it, even though it's about a cat. It was really interesting. (I generally read fantasy books such as LotR, Wheel of Time, Dragonriders, and Song of Ice and Fire, so if you like those this would probably fit in well, althought it's been ages since I read it...)

For non-fantasy, I'd suggest This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti, just because I love it. But I think it's right at 500 pages (paperback).

Your evil 300 page limiter kept me from suggesting larger series. I swear, most of my favorite authors think 600 pages is the smallest they can make a book, and then they take 5 to 15 of those to even finish the story. XD

EDIT: Although I've never read it, I have friends who really like The Princess Bride, the novel the movie was based on. From what I remember, it looked like about a 300 page book.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Tancos » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:42 am

Consider Tom Holt's first three novels. Expecting Someone Taller, Who's Afraid of Beowulf and Flying Dutch are humorous fantasies. And there's always Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday.
Tancos

Postby DaughterOfZion » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:06 am

theres frank peretti's The Oath and it has a dragon in it. but i guess it is kinda confusing keeping the characters straight theres so many.
/ 人 ‿‿人 \
"Validation is for parking."- Steal Like an Artist Austin Kleon
I have deduced that your imagination has no coherence whatsoever.- Kyōya Ōtori
DaughterOfZion

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:04 am

Doe Johnson wrote:EDIT: Although I've never read it, I have friends who really like The Princess Bride, the novel the movie was based on. From what I remember, it looked like about a 300 page book.

Ah, if you can find a copy, definitely consider The Princess Bride.
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:04 am

Fish and Chips wrote:Ah, if you can find a copy, definitely consider The Princess Bride.

Agreed. Although, if you're allowed, I would suggest getting the edited version, rather than the full version--apparently, the full version goes into great detail on lots of things that seem near-impossible to read without falling asleep. XD The editor of the version I have mentions how the author spends over 60 pages describing the Queen's trip somewhere--somewhere around 25 pages are simply used for showing what she packed. o_o XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:32 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Agreed. Although, if you're allowed, I would suggest getting the edited version, rather than the full version--apparently, the full version goes into great detail on lots of things that seem near-impossible to read without falling asleep. XD The editor of the version I have mentions how the author spends over 60 pages describing the Queen's trip somewhere--somewhere around 25 pages are simply used for showing what she packed. o_o XD

I'm fairly certain there is no "Full version." Just a running joke throughout the narrative.
Fish and Chips

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:19 pm

Doe Johnson wrote:I believe you like Ender's Game, have you ever tried Ender's Shadow? If you haven't, you should. It's awesome. (I think its about 400 pages...or however large Ender's Game was...)

i would totally read Ender's Shadow, except my teacher doesn't want us reading more than one book by the same author. so i am somewhat forced to try something new.

as for the princess bride suggestion, i really might consider that. i saw the movie (thanks for recommending that too) and thought it was pretty awesome. is the movie based on the book?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:20 pm

jon_jinn wrote:as for the princess bride suggestion, i really might consider that. i saw the movie (thanks for recommending that too) and thought it was pretty awesome. is the movie based on the book?

The movie is based on the book, but there are some scenes in the book that are almost exactly the way they are in the movie (the battle of wits, for instance). It's very funny. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby KBMaster » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Well, I WOULD reccommend Howl's Moving Castle, but you don't want anything with witchcraft, so that's out.

Piercing the Darkness is an excellent book. It's by Frank Peretti. I can't remember exactly how long it is, but it should be somewhere around the 300 mark.

Monster by Frank Peretti is also very good.

I'll second Black by Ted Dekker.

House by Frank Perretti and Ted Dekker is good.

Three by Ted Dekker is good.

The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley is pretty good, I liked it. Its sequel, the blue sword is also good.

The Boy and the Samurai is an excellent book, as is A Samurai's Tale(read AST first). Both are by Eric Christian Hauggard.

The Dragon's Gate by Laurence Yep is an excellent book.

I can't think of any more at the moment... Hope that helped. Have fun reading whatever it is you read! :P
KBMaster

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:55 pm

KBMaster wrote:Well, I WOULD reccommend Howl's Moving Castle, but you don't want anything with witchcraft, so that's out.

actually, i read howl's moving castle about two years ago. i didn't really enjoy it but i'm sure if i read it again, i might. witchcraft is fine, i just don't want the book to sorta be based on that type of stuff...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:04 pm

jon_jinn wrote:as for the princess bride suggestion, i really might consider that. i saw the movie (thanks for recommending that too) and thought it was pretty awesome. is the movie based on the book?

Yes, and rather accurately (relatively speaking). Book still has some stuff the film shouldn't have left out. Fezzik and Inigo's backstorys, and the Zoo of Death (much better than the Pit of Despair).
Fish and Chips

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Villians By Necessity by Eve Forward.
This is a real gem of a story.It basically takes the whole Quest theme in Fantasy and sets it on it's back.
Witch of the North by Courtway Jones
The Arthur story as told from the POV of Arthur's half-sister Morgan Le Fay.
Fire Lord by Parke Godwin
Another retelling of the Arthur story
Any of the Shannara novels by Terry Brooks
Little,Big(forget the name of the author)
The Once And Future King by T.H.White
Classic retelling of the Arthur story that begins with The Sword In The Stone
Robin Hood by Howard Pyle
The most famous modern rendering of the Robin Hood story
Til We Have Faces by C.S.Lewis
Lewis' retelling of the Psyche myth from the oldest sister's POV
Bard by Morgan Llewyn
retells the story of the ancient Irish
Circle of Light forget the author's name
4 books that tell the story of Dwarf,Bear,Otter and friends.
Book #4 is called Squaring The Circle
Barbed Coil by J.V.Jones
mitsuki lover

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:22 pm

One book I really like is "The Thief" by Megan Whalen Turner. It's about a young thief who brags that he can steal anything--and then proves it by stealing the King's seal. He lands in jail for that, of course, but he leaves enough of an impression on the King that he takes him out of jail to send him on a mission to get a magical jewel.

It's very adventurous, lots of traveling. Gen, the thief, is also sarcastic and humorous, so it's very funny at parts. There's no romance, either--although the other books in the series do feature it as a fairly major plot point (most of it isn't too overly sappy...although, I'm a girl, so take that with a grain of salt).

The only things is, there is a little bit of swearing in it, and the world that the story is set in has gods similar to what the Greeks and Romans believed in.
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:41 pm

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:One book I really like is "The Thief" by Megan Whalen Turner. It's about a young thief who brags that he can steal anything--and then proves it by stealing the King's seal. He lands in jail for that, of course, but he leaves enough of an impression on the King that he takes him out of jail to send him on a mission to get a magical jewel.

It's very adventurous, lots of traveling. Gen, the thief, is also sarcastic and humorous, so it's very funny at parts. There's no romance, either--although the other books in the series do feature it as a fairly major plot point (most of it isn't too overly sappy...although, I'm a girl, so take that with a grain of salt).

The only things is, there is a little bit of swearing in it, and the world that the story is set in has gods similar to what the Greeks and Romans believed in.

this book sounds pretty interesting. i've always loved Greek Mythology and the story sounds very original. anyways, thanks for the recommendations. now, i have too MANY books to choose from. but it's all good. thanks again for the recommendations. :thumb:

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:42 pm

Yes, I like greek mythology too, so that's part of the reason I love the series. ^^ I just wasn't sure how other people would feel about that part of the series.
[url=l33tbeat.blogspot.com]l33t beat[/url] -- News, reviews and opinions on anime, video games, and fantasy fiction
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby narutofreak » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:38 pm

Song of Ice and Fire By George R.R. Martin, Arena and the Legends of the Guardian King series by Karen Hancock, Dragonkeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul, Cry of the Icemark, Harry Potter, Narnia, Firebird Trilogy by: Kathy Tyers, and the Termeraire series by Naomi Novik. :sweat:
narutofreak

Postby Taliesin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:06 pm

since there are too many reccomendations already I will just second some opinions
1. hero and the crown. this book is spiffin awesome but has some dull parts
2. the theif. I loved this book you would never guess the plot twist
3. the princess bride is so funny I really loved it. some dull parts though
FKA starhammer

Communism is only the perfect government if you have the perfect leader. And I'm only available Tuesdays.

I'm too cool to scroll.
Taliesin

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:10 pm

I highly recommend you check out the Newbery Medal winning Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. The five books are:
1. The Book of Three
2. The Black Cauldron
3. The Castle of Llyr
4. Taran Wanderer
5. The High King
And since no one has brought it up, Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It's quite thought-provoking.
I realize my books are under your minimum limit, but they are all very interesting.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:11 pm

well, i went to the library yesterday and got three books. the princess bride (which i am currently reading and am already halfway through), the thief, and the color of magic (by terry pratchett). i'm not sure if i got the right version of the princess bride, since i heard that there are different versions...i got the "good stuff" version abridged by william goldman. the first like thirty pages are about how william goldman came to hear about the book and all this stuff about his childhood. anyways, i am at the part where the black masked character faces off against fezzik. after i finish the princess bride, i will probably read the thief. i am also not sure about the book i got by terry pratchett. i don't know which one to start off with and i'm not sure if the discworld series progresses in chronological order, or not...

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Peregrine » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:39 pm

Wow, you all have just named some of my favorite books! I'd have to second (or third or whatever) The princess bride, the chronicles of prydon, the theif, dragon's gate along with yep's other books, and Lilith, but i haven't read lilith in a while.
Peregrine

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:56 pm

i heard that there are two sequals to The Thief. are they any good? what are they called?

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:55 pm

I'd have to say anything by Ted Dekker. I especially love three, it's great at showing the battle between good and evil. Plus it R00lZ
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Jman » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:26 am

I would recommend anything by Ted Dekker. He's an amazing Christian author.

Adopter of Locke *0/0*
Adopter of Felix *0/0*
Adopter of Insanewithapen *0/0*
Adopter of Zelda27 *0/0*
Adopter of Sakura's Wings *0/0*
Adoptee of Cap'n Crack *0/0*

---
"It never hurts to try to make new friends, except when it does hurt…
but that's only when you're trying to make friends with a charging rhinoceros." ~ HolySoldier5000

---
"But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed. "
-Isaiah 53:5

|J|c|r|e|w| --- Jman's Antidrug
---
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig