Neil Gaiman's "Marvel 1602" (Review)

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Neil Gaiman's "Marvel 1602" (Review)

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:27 am

First I asked about "Sandman" now I'm talking 1602. This is the first comic book by Gaiman (or in fact, ANYTHING) I've read and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed. It is a more standard graphic novel than what Gaiman wrote when he produced "Sandman" (unread by me) because 1602 deals with Marvel Superheroes attempting to save the world. And if you believe that such a plot is by nature stupid, then this is not for you. If you don't mind, howerver, read on.

I can't decide wether or not the plot and setting of the graphic novel is one elaborate contrived gimmick or a stroke of imaginative and conceptual genius. Maybe its both. :grin: But basically this eight-book volume, collected in a giant hardcover book, imagines the Marvel Universe as it would have been if it was set in Europe in the year 1602. All the Marvel characters from the "Silver Age of Comicbooks" are present and accounted for. Sir Nicholas Fury is the head of the ailing Queen Elisabeth I's Intelligence Agency and magician Doctor Stephen Strange is her physician. Bizarre thunderstorms have been appearing around the world and is threatening to tear the world apart and the good doctor is not convinced that this is entirely a natural phenomenom. Meanwhile the Queen awaits the coming of Virginia Dare, the first English colonist born on the American Colonies (in fact, the colony of Roanoke which in the real world has had an interesting history if I'm not mistaken). She is accompanied by her Native American protector who takes no nonsense from anyone. But Virginia has a strange powers herself that are both usefull and very dangerous...

To summerize the plot further would spoil too much (and would take too much time), but I should say that somehow Gaiman manages to add 17th century versions of several Marvel superheroes and villains, including people who live in a school for gifted young lads, a blind minstril named Matthew and a young fellow named Parquagh who is consistantly almost getting bitten by strange spiders. All this is mixed into Court Intrigue as James of Scotland, pictured as a self-righteous religious maniac, lusts after the throne of Elizabeth I. And there is even a Templar artifact thrown in for good measure (although don't expect it to be anything like The Da Vinci Code)

Speaking of which one of the flaws with the story is that its theologically dodgy at best. The Marvel universe has always been slightly incompatible with a totally Christian world-view (especially considering that there some guy named Thor always hanging around ;) ) but 1602 does not shy away from this like most stories would. All of the superheroes are depicted as Christians, both Catholic and Protestant (except maybe Stephen Strange) but find themselves constantly in a spiritual battle. The "witchbreed" (Mutants in modern Marvel comics) are seen praying in one scene together when in another the Spanish Inquisition (didn't expect them, did you?) tries to burn a witchbreed who resembles an angel. The Inquisition is featured a lot in this book and as I said King James of Scotland is not the saint he believes himself to be. 1602 however does not condemn Christianity but rather religious fanatacism. Also, as mentioned, there are polytheistic elements as well.

If there is another flaw but I can't talk of it because it would spoil the plot. But the biggest problem I found is that I was unsatisfied when the story finished because (egads) I didn't want it to end. I would have preferred it to go on. Actually, although Gaiman and Marvel never said they were going to continue this series, they certainly WROTE it as if they are going to. Maybe some other time, perhaps.

Not everyone would like this graphic novel but I heartily recommend it.

Edit: Looking back at how much I wrote, I have to say I failed at keeping it short as I intended too. Doh. :bang:

Edit: I would also like to add that the dialogue is some of the best I've ever encountered in a graphic novel. It is in fact very well written. I am truly impressed by that.

Edit: It is also more "adult themed" than the run-of-the-mill Marvel comic although nothing is explicit.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Maledicte » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:39 pm

Yeah, I thought it ended too early too.
and yes, Gaiman-sama does write terrific dialogue. Read Sandman (hint hint) or even his novel Neverwhere for more goodies.
Maledicte

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:49 pm

That's certainly an interesting premise. I didn't even know this series existed until reading this thread.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:39 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:Yeah, I thought it ended too early too.
and yes, Gaiman-sama does write terrific dialogue. Read Sandman (hint hint) or even his novel Neverwhere for more goodies.

Actually, even before reading 1602 I was always tempted to try his book "Coraline" which, to me, sounded like a good, interesting read. I might also try American Gods and Sandman is definitely on my list

(he's got them on his list, he's got them on his list
and none of them be'd missed)
(don't ask)

uc pseudonym wrote:That's certainly an interesting premise. I didn't even know this series existed until reading this thread.

That's whats strange about this. Usually I know about books like these, only I heard about it only a few weeks ago when some of my friends recommended it (one bought the original serialized releases but I like hardcovers). I just hope that Gaiman gets around to writing more of this.
bigsleepj

Postby Maledicte » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:22 am

I found it by accident looking through my library's database. How weird....you think that with such an interesting concept like this it would be more well-known. But I like the covers...the engraving design is very cool. And the interior art is good too.
Maledicte

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:20 pm

SirThinks2Much wrote:I found it by accident looking through my library's database. How weird....you think that with such an interesting concept like this it would be more well-known. But I like the covers...the engraving design is very cool. And the interior art is good too.

The engravings on the front covers were real engravings. According to the book it was done by someone who really etched the wooden designs with a knife into wood. The guy who did it usually does only theatre posters but he was contracted for 1602. They really help set the mood.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Zane » Tue May 03, 2005 12:58 am

Wow, that sounds really interesting Bigsleepj!

I will definatley keep any eye out for it. But here in WA (western OZ) I really don't think I will be able to get my hands on it. Just too isolated, and animation entertainment ignorant. Who published it and when?? (Marvel I guess) I'll try to find it on the web.

Edit; I just found a couple of sites on it and man, Andy Kubert did the art for it, thats awesome, I enjoyed his Ultimate X-Men run at the start of the series. I will definatley keep an eye out for this one now. Cheers mate.
Zane

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue May 03, 2005 1:07 am

Warrior 4 Jesus

Return to Book Corner