What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:26 am

...trilogy of four...? O.o

Anyway, just finished "To Green Angle Tower, Part II" by Tad Williams, so that's another series out of the way.

Now beginning "Quicksilver" by Niel Stephenson. Again.
Mithrandir

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:35 am

Talame wrote:Has anyone read 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'? I've read the trilogy of four... but the best one was the first :D Marvin (the robot) is hilarious! :grin:

I've read all of them Talame, and loved every moment of them! Great reads!

I am currently reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner).

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:43 pm

I've read everyone too,including Mostly Harmless the last one.
mitsuki lover

Postby Hephzibah » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:30 am

Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy is one of the few books that I was actually rolling around on the floor (literally) laughing so much that my sides hurt.

I am currently reading WHITE by TED DEKKER!!!! YEY!!! IT FINALLY ARRIVED! :grin:
Hephzibah

Postby Technomancer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:48 am

oldphilosopher wrote:...trilogy of four...? O.o

Not all, it's a trilogy in five parts now. ;) 'Mostly Harmless' is the last book.

Anyways, I'm reading Liz William's 'Nine Layers of Sky' at the moment.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Hephzibah » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:59 am

There was a book that wasn't completed cause he died... was that Mostly Harmless or was it another one?
Hephzibah

Postby Dragon Master » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:14 am

I'm reading Les Miserables I don't have a clue as to what its about yet...any help with out spoiling the book?
I like hitting things :lickbash:
Dragon Master

Postby Technomancer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:25 am

Talame wrote:There was a book that wasn't completed cause he died... was that Mostly Harmless or was it another one?

Mostly Harmless was completed. When the author dies he was working on another, non-Hitchhiker book, 'The Starship Titantic'. Some other unpublished/incomplete material was also published in 'The Salmon of Doubt'.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:20 am

I have read the first four parts of the trilogy. Mostly Harmless never really appealed to me, as it had a very different air to it. I have also read The Salmon of Doubt (that is, the collection including what was finished of the novel). I would suggest all of the books but the last I mentioned; I enjoyed all of them. The third was the best in my mind.
uc pseudonym

Postby Locke » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:56 am

The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing - Edited and Critical Commentary by Professor Allen C. Kupper

pretty cool stuff
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Lady Arianrod » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:37 pm

To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf and The Tempest by Shakespeare.

Even though Shakespeare's language is difficult to understand at times, he really knew what he was talking about. He does a wonderful job commenting on human nature and behavior.
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:29 pm

I'm really getting into Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.. I'm glad someone recommended to it me because I hadn't heard of it prior to then. It's definitely an exciting read - the author's style is somewhat similar to J.D. Salinger's, (also typical 70's literature, hehe) such as in Catcher in the Rye, but I find ZatAoMM more profound.
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:27 am

Locke wrote:The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing - Edited and Critical Commentary by Professor Allen C. Kupper

I am curious regarding this book. Is the genre generally similar to Bram Stoker's original? For that matter, is Allen Kupper the actual author?
uc pseudonym

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:28 am

Intervew with the Vampire, by Anne Rice.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby mastersquirrel » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:28 pm

A Body in the Library: by Agatha Christie.
It reads different than other books I've read by her, but I think it'll still be good.
[SIZE="1"]"If there's one thing that I know, it's that I know more than one thing." - Master Squirrel[/SIZE]
mastersquirrel

Postby Kesshin » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:31 am

Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. Not so wordy once you've worked your way through the Odyssey.
"Consider the lilies of the field. They neither sew nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which is in the field one day and cast into the oven the next, how much more will he clothe you, o ye of little faith?
-Luke 12:27-28

-CAA's official writing shinobi.

"Mostly I write action/adventure, and while I dislike romance, I seem to end up doing it and I've been told I do so well. To that I give a cliche "Feh.""
-uc pseudonym
Kesshin

Postby Ingemar » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:48 pm

Required-- Selections from Luther, Gerson and Rabelais
Not required-- Basics of Biblical Greek by William D. Mounce
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:34 pm

I read The COmplete Idiot's Guide To Christianity this week.
mitsuki lover

Postby Scribs » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:13 pm

I am reading Leave it to Psmith by P.G. Wodehouse
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:37 pm

I agree; Great Expectations was not too bad. The Stranger, on the other hand, annoys me by its sheer pointlessness.

mitsuki lover wrote:I read The COmplete Idiot's Guide To Christianity this week.

I must admit I am highly curious as to the content of this book. Out of curiosity, why are you reading it? I know if I did so it would primarily be for amusement.
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:29 am

I've just begun Shadowmancer by G.P Taylor while I wait for Book 3 of the Otherland series to come back to my library.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Lady Arianrod » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:00 pm

I'm re-reading the Great Gatsby. Fitzgerald is a genius.
~Life is the art of drawing without an eraser~

Lady Arianrod, lover of nature and fire.

Hello there! I'm back after a long break! I started watching anime again in 2016. I still check the forum too!

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
Lady Arianrod

Postby Mithrandir » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:30 pm

Scott Adams: "Words you don't want to hear durning you anual performance review."

Or something like that...

And the newest Dave Barry book.
Mithrandir

Postby SwordSkill » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:42 pm

William Gibson's Virtual Light (finally found time to read it)
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:17 pm

I just read William Gibson's Burning Chrome

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby SwordSkill » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:06 am

mechana2015 wrote:I just read William Gibson's Burning Chrome

:lol: I haven't even bought that...yet. I've been buying too many of Gibson's stuff and never finding time to read them. :shady:
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:13 am

oldphilosopher wrote:And the newest Dave Barry book.

He has a new one out? What is the title?

On that subject, I highly recommend his fairly recent book on politics.
uc pseudonym

Postby EvilSporkofDoom » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:31 pm

The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
-Hebrews 11:6

EvilSporkofDoom

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:23 pm

The Heavenly Man: the remarkable true story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun,
written by Brother Yun and Paul Hattaway

If you can get your hands on it get it and read it. Its an amazing, inspirational read and a testament of one man's faith in Jesus to overcome terrible obstacles in order to preach God's Word to the people of China. Highly reccomended!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:32 pm

I'm read the Scarlett Letter. Wonderful book.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner