sword of truth

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

sword of truth

Postby RefractedAhav » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:23 pm

Is this seires any good. (I know I can't spell)
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Staci » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:47 pm

Elowen wrote:Is this seires any good. (I know I can't spell)

Yes, the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind is a rather exciting series. However, I must warn anyone present, in book 4 and beyond of said series, there are scenes of graphic love making piled on top of violence. Now, violence (or some form of) is expected in fantasy novels, that's a given. However, sequences of people "getting it on" is not. Please be aware of this before buying, especially if it offends!

Cheers and many blessings! :thumb:
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby Lightbringer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:49 pm

I got hooked on the very first page of Wizards first rule, but as much as I like the series (i dont know how many books there are now, i stopped reading fantasy books a long time ago) read up till 5, anyway ....... oh someone else just posted the same thing. yeah look out for the scenes, theres sexual stuff in all the books as i remember, not just 4. good series, thats its only mar.

Lightbringer // Aaron
Lightbringer // Aaron

Image Image
Join up! Darklight-The Chronicles of Tairis epic RPG
http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=5233
Lightbringer

Postby Shinsei » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:14 am

I dunno about this series. The first few are pretty good, solid fantasy, y'know, but after a while, it gets violent, sexual, and just plain bad. Faith of the Fallen (i think thats book six) was really bad. Very existentialist, humanist, etc. Espoused a lot of liberal crazy philosophies. Definately one to skip. Actually, I'd just stop reading a few before that, like number four.
Shinsei

Postby Lynx » Sun May 09, 2004 9:38 pm

i love this series. if i remember correctly (correct me if i'm wrong) the first book, wizard's first rule, gets pretty violent, but that's about the worst thing. The first book wraps the story up enough so if you didnt wanna read anymore of the series you wouldn't have to. Debt of bones is the prequel to the series, and you could read it first, but if you read it later you'll know more about some of the characters. like it was mentioned before, debt of bones is really short so it wont take long to read.

plot wise, goodkind's books shine. i like them better than robert jordan's novels. The first 4 or 5 books are a lot better than the later books in his series. Towards the end of his series, goodkind "forgets" who his main characters are, and writes about a new set of characters. That annoys me. i love terry goodkind's writing style though, purly based on writing style, terry's my favorite author.

Terry also has this thing for the truth. Truth is a theme that runs deeply throughout the whole series, especially through richard. I read somewhere that this is because terry goodkind went to a catholic school growing up where he was not allowed to ask questions, and this is why seeking truth is so prominent in his novels. unfortunatly, even with all the "truth" in his books, they fall short of having many Christian values in them.

Now for the violence- the books are very violent. What i remember most was the graphic descriptions of torture. If violence in books bother you, don't read this book.

There is some sex in the books. terry goodkind's sex scenes are either mildly iffy or extremely iffy. Terry rarely writes anything between these two extremas. if i remember correctly (once again, correct me if i'm wrong) but there arent any exteremly iffy parts in the first book, but there definatly is one in book two.

language- i dont recall much swearing from the books, cussing is rare in those books.

so, should you read it? that's up to you. if any of the above i mentioned offends or is a problem for you, i suggest you dont read them. the books themselves (minus debt of bones) are very long, so you would be putting a lot of your time into them. what it comes down to is the question are those books worthy of spending your time and attention on them?

wow that went on a lot longer than i expected it to... well anyways, hope that helps!

lynx
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Namelessknight » Sun May 29, 2005 12:24 pm

Extremely well written, but as others have noted, there are some graphic descriptions of sex. Most of them are not intended to be purely lascivious, but still. One of the main reasons I will not be buying these.

As for his world view. It is based on something called "objectionism" or something like that. the little i read about it, it seems to be in contrast to those who say we can't know anything thru our senses. Goodkind says all we can trust is our senses. Lots of it makes sense, but it is definitely not christian.

I second reading the first book. It is a standalone novel and excellently written. But all the others had enough objectionable material so I couldn't recommend them...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Arnobius » Sun May 29, 2005 1:13 pm

I liked the first book, though I thought it was sexually excessive. Book two did some things I just thought were plain sick sexually, so I dropped and never continued.

Seemed like it would have been better as a standalone novel
Arnobius

Postby bigsleepj » Sun May 29, 2005 10:48 pm

I only read the first four books but it got "overlong". I hate decalogies (assuming its not going to get all "Wheel of timey") and the S&M parts kind of put me off. That said Terry Goodkind has created a well-crafted and interesting world and he's a very good writer.
bigsleepj

Return to Book Corner