What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Re: What are you reading?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:34 pm

The Books of Umber: Happenstance Found by P.W. Catonese
An enjoyable YA fantasy book about a boy who is discovered in the ancient ruins of a city and joins a band of explorers/adventurers led by a quirky magician/inventor. The characters are all quirky and fun and have intriguing secrets, so I'll probably read the rest of this series eventually.

The Dervish House by Ian McDonald
What started out as a promising near-future sci-fi story set in Istanbul soon revealed itself as a poorly researched, un-proofread fiasco that is an insult to the complex culture it's set in.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by NOT J.K. Rowling so who cares
Utter. Complete. TRASH. I read the whole thing hoping I would eventually figure out how the heck this thing got published and why JKR okayed this in the first place...but I'm still scratching my head over it. The characterization of everyone is horrible, the plot is laughable and cliche, and there are tons of plot holes and continuity errors. This is bad fanfiction that somehow earns money :comp:

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
Napoleonic Wars + dragons. Need I say more? ;)

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope by Ian Doescher
Two classics of completely different kinds smooshed together. Fantastic. Beautiful. Exactly what a nerdy girl with an English degree needs :n_n:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby PrincessNineTales » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 am

The Hobbit.

Make It Happen by Lara Casey.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67516 (It Will Get Better)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67529 (My Season of Loneliness and Isolation)
viewtopic.php?f=30&p=1650989#p1650989 (Appreciating How God Made You)
viewtopic.php?f=30&p=1650906#p1650906 (Gratitude)
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=67562 (Reading The Bible When You Don't Feel Like It)
PrincessNineTales

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:10 pm

The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

A classic about a boy raising a fawn as a pet. Perhaps better known as "WHY WAS I GIVEN EMOTIONS OH MY POOR BEATING HEART ;A;" Tragic and emotional, but I loved it.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

...which I'll admit I mostly picked up for the title :P This is a book about random, rare, weird mental issues the author has seen in his patients. Fascinating stuff for a psychology nerd like me, and all written very sensitively and humanely.

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory

What would happen if you received an invitation to dinner with Jesus Christ? Basically a book of apologetics couched in the story of a normal businessman trying to decide if he can actually believe the man sitting across the table from him is the Jesus of Nazareth. Very readable, a lot of spot-on observations.

Number9dream by David Mitchell

Weird, weird, weird. This is about a young Japanese man who goes to Tokyo in search of his father, whom he's never met. I enjoyed the odd experimentation Mitchell did with style, changing it up every chapter to keep you on your toes. But I didn't appreciate the amount of content, and I hated the abrupt, unsatisfying ending.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby IPv4 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm

"THE GIFT OF FEAR" by Gavin De Becker.

Have read over 100 pages in a few days, really interesting altough not always scientific. Helps one to understand the mindset of predators. If you like watching murder-mysteries, sherlock holmes, and other types of crime investigation you will definately like this book.
IPv4

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:45 pm

The Martian by Andy Weir

The hilarious and strangely uplifting tale of a man's struggle for survival alone on the planet Mars, and the hundreds of people on Earth who worked to get him back home. I think I like it even more than the movie, which by the way is an amazing adaptation.

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke

A fun story about a boy who runs across a dragon and his brownie friend who are searching for the Rim of Heaven, a place where the last few remaining dragons can live in peace and safety. They run afoul of an evil cannibalistic dragon, and come across lots of other mythological creatures. It was delightfully whimsical while also full of enough peril to hold my interest.

Why Does He Do That? by Lundy Bancroft

This is a detailed look into the psychology and tactics of abusive men. It's not only intellectually interesting to someone fascinated by psychology, but I also think this should be required reading for absolutely everyone. The only way to combat abuse and help those who have suffered at the hands of abusive men is to understand how they think.

A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis

I finally got around to reading Lewis' thoughts as he grieved the death of his wife. Very honest, very poignant, very thought-provoking.

A Quest for More: Living for Something Bigger Than You by Paul Tripp

This was a very challenging, convicting book about living for the Kingdom, rather than just tithing a fraction of our time and resources and calling it enough. It definitely halted me in my tracks about a few things.

Getting Back in the Race: The Cure for Backsliding by Joel R. Beeke

I read this mostly because of my job in my church's library, and this was a new addition. But I think it would be a very helpful resource for anyone who's realized they're falling away and are afraid they can't get back to the way their relationship with God used to be.

Lilith by George MacDonald

At times confusing, but overall this allegorical tale was really interesting and thought-provoking. It's about a man who meets a talking raven who leads him to a magic mirror that becomes a portal to a parallel world. It's sort of a Pilgrim's Progress-esque tale of a man who realizes he needs to die before he can truly live. I could definitely see the influences MacDonald had on C.S. Lewis' writing.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SierraLea » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:17 am

I started the Magnus Chase series, and it has cemented Rick Riordan as one of my favorite authors. That book is funny, well researched, a very smart, thought-provoking read, and I cannot wait for the final book.
SierraLea

Postby Kaori » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Since last time:

The Prayers of St. Isaac the Syrian, published by Divine Ascent Press. Just a very short pamphlet but extremely powerful.

As my soul bows to the ground I offer to you with all my bones and with all my heart the worship that befits you. O glorious God, who dwell in ineffable silence, you have built for my renewal a tabernacle of love on earth where it is your good pleasure to rest, a temple made of flesh and fashioned with the most holy oil sanctuary. [. . .] In wonder at it, angelic beings are submerged in silence, awed at the dark cloud of this eternal mystery and at the flood of glory which issues from within this source of wonder, for it receives worship in the sphere of silence from every intelligence that has been sanctified and made worthy of you.

『結局、「1%に集中できる人」がすべてを変えられる』 (In the end, the person who can focus on the 1% can change everything) by Fujiyoshi Tatsuzo.

Basically it is a self-improvement book (in Japanese) aimed at people who are so overwhelmed with all the things that they have to do that they don't know what to do, so there are a lot of tips about eliminating things that are unnecessary in one's life (ranging from unnecessary social engagements to unnecessary thoughts and beliefs), focusing one's energy completely on whatever is the most important task in front of you, and also on finding out what it is that you most want to do in life and figuring out what you need to do to achieve it. I felt like the author took a long time to say things that could have been said much more briefly; also I didn’t do any of the exercises he recommended, so whatever benefit can be gotten out of this book, the amount I actually got out of it is minimal. It was not bad, though--but also not great.

Not quite done with, but I will go ahead and list:

新完全マスター文法 日本語能力試験N2 (New Complete Master Grammar: JLPT N2)

It's a workbook for the JLPT N2. (I already did a N1 workbook a while ago but I thought I'd go back and review what I skipped.) Very helpful and well put-together. The workbook I used for N1, N1文法スピードマスター (N1 Grammar Speed Master), which was made by a different company, was also helpful and wasn't a bad book, but between the two I would definitely recommend the Complete Master series for people who are studying JLPT grammar.

That's all for things I have finished reading or almost finished reading (or working through in the case of the workbook) since I last posted. But I read a few short works from The Apostolic Fathers (ed. Jack Sparks) so I guess I'll share those.

Polycarp’s Letter to Philippi was indeed, as the editor said, very lacking in originality and was mostly rearranged quotations and paraphrases from the New Testament.

The Martyrdom of Polycarp was mildly interesting, but I had heard all the best bits already in lectures and sermons.

From I Clement, one interesting point was that Clement saw Rahab’s cloth that she hung outside her window in order for her and her family not to be killed as symbolic of salvation in Christ (similar to the Passover). I also liked the phrase “savior of those in despair” from 59.3. I feel like there was something else I felt was noteworthy but I can't remember what it was. I think it mostly felt very similar to the New Testament.
BlogMAL

“Leave your heart, and look into the face of Christ.” -Andrew Murray
Kaori

Previous

Return to Book Corner