What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Re: What are you reading?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:34 pm

The Books of Umber: Happenstance Found by P.W. Catonese
An enjoyable YA fantasy book about a boy who is discovered in the ancient ruins of a city and joins a band of explorers/adventurers led by a quirky magician/inventor. The characters are all quirky and fun and have intriguing secrets, so I'll probably read the rest of this series eventually.

The Dervish House by Ian McDonald
What started out as a promising near-future sci-fi story set in Istanbul soon revealed itself as a poorly researched, un-proofread fiasco that is an insult to the complex culture it's set in.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by NOT J.K. Rowling so who cares
Utter. Complete. TRASH. I read the whole thing hoping I would eventually figure out how the heck this thing got published and why JKR okayed this in the first place...but I'm still scratching my head over it. The characterization of everyone is horrible, the plot is laughable and cliche, and there are tons of plot holes and continuity errors. This is bad fanfiction that somehow earns money :comp:

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
Napoleonic Wars + dragons. Need I say more? ;)

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope by Ian Doescher
Two classics of completely different kinds smooshed together. Fantastic. Beautiful. Exactly what a nerdy girl with an English degree needs :n_n:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby PrincessNineTales » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 am

The Hobbit.

Make It Happen by Lara Casey.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67516 (It Will Get Better)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67529 (My Season of Loneliness and Isolation)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67542 (Being Positive In The Midst of Negativity)
viewtopic.php?f=30&p=1650906#p1650906 (Gratitude)
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67548 (Self-Esteem)
PrincessNineTales

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:10 pm

The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

A classic about a boy raising a fawn as a pet. Perhaps better known as "WHY WAS I GIVEN EMOTIONS OH MY POOR BEATING HEART ;A;" Tragic and emotional, but I loved it.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks

...which I'll admit I mostly picked up for the title :P This is a book about random, rare, weird mental issues the author has seen in his patients. Fascinating stuff for a psychology nerd like me, and all written very sensitively and humanely.

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory

What would happen if you received an invitation to dinner with Jesus Christ? Basically a book of apologetics couched in the story of a normal businessman trying to decide if he can actually believe the man sitting across the table from him is the Jesus of Nazareth. Very readable, a lot of spot-on observations.

Number9dream by David Mitchell

Weird, weird, weird. This is about a young Japanese man who goes to Tokyo in search of his father, whom he's never met. I enjoyed the odd experimentation Mitchell did with style, changing it up every chapter to keep you on your toes. But I didn't appreciate the amount of content, and I hated the abrupt, unsatisfying ending.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby IPv4 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:00 pm

"THE GIFT OF FEAR" by Gavin De Becker.

Have read over 100 pages in a few days, really interesting altough not always scientific. Helps one to understand the mindset of predators. If you like watching murder-mysteries, sherlock holmes, and other types of crime investigation you will definately like this book.
IPv4

Previous

Return to Book Corner