How to make an RPG

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

How to make an RPG

Postby Masquerade1412 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:25 pm

I am currently working on my first RPG for the forums. There's just one problem though.

I don't know how to make one! :waah!:

I've played a lot and have most of the concepts written down somewhere, but I need some pointers on how to put it all together.

Please....:?::?::?::?::?:
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

Postby Diamond Dragon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Well, first you obviousely write the plot....

Then, you tell us anything else we need to know about the RP, like different species.

Then you put down the character forms, maybe several different ones, if it's for different kinds of people.

Let me know if you need any more help!
(Pic made by Bio! <3)

DiamondDragon - the Sky pokemon
Ruling the skies on its thick wings, this Pokemon is feared by all flying beasts. Its twinkling wings change in the sunlight. Some people believe that this pokemon actually has diamonds that grow on its skin. Despite its intimidating size, it is an extremely friendly ally and a very dangerous enemy.
@)}~`,~
Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
http://dragcave.net/view/JXKV4
Diamond Dragon

Postby Masquerade1412 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks, Dia....But I'm gonna need a little more than that, unfortunately.

I need to know...
1. How to maintain an RPG.
2. How to start it.
3. How to end it.
4. How to work the characters into the story.
5. How to create "boss battles". (Villains)
6. What attracts the most players.
7. Best "Battle System". (How the characters fight opponents and each other, and how to decide who wins)
8. How long does a normal RPG last?

I thank you for all the help.

Masquerade
Sincerely,
The Last Wizard of the Century
Masquerade1412

Postby rocklobster » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 pm

1. What I do is keep a good communication with as many players as possible, taking care to help them in PM's as much as I can, but also taking time to listen to input from them as well. Really, the whole thing is more like a story written by community.
2. Try to approach it as if you're writing a novel and getting other writers to help. My Dragon Children RP's are actually based on an idea I had for a novel and I've even posted the novel on my blog, but I'm in the process of rethinking that.
3. I never really got far enough into an RP to get an ending. I did once with Neo-Eden, but that was really forced. We had a big battle worthy of the book of Revelation.
4. Try to have a few ideas for characters of your own from the beginning. Then let everyone else come up with characters and brainstorm a bit. Remember, everyone has ideas. The trick is to find the people who you think play best and allow them to help you come up with ideas. Don't be afraid to play editor or moderator if you think the story is getting too confusing. Also, PM people to let them know upcoming scenarios. This will help them anticipate what you're doing next. (Think of them as "story arcs", like TV does with each individual episode for a show.)
5. Boss battles aren't used in our RPG's. But you create villains in the same way you create heroes. It's just the motives that are different. Some stories don't even need villains, for instance slice-of-life stories like my short-lived Emerald Coffeehouse.
6. I've found that fantasy and slice-of-life seem to work best. Sci-fi doesn't seem to work that well, but that doesn't mean it won't work. It really depends on the scope of your idea. If you present it in an interesting way, it'll attract people. To paraphrase Field of Dreams "Post it, and they will come."
7. The key thing is not to allow "god-moding". If a character seems to win a fight too easily, that's when you should step in and shoot it down. Otherwise, back off and let the fight happen. There's no point system like in a video game. Monsters should be considered NPC's, meaning the GM controls them.
8. I've seen RP's last anywhere from a month to 2-3 years, depending on the commitment of those involved.
Hope that helps!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby raider~joseph » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Dude pm me when you make one cause ill join in a heartbeat.

Humor helps I found.Even if no one says its funny.I like humor because it makes my characters more realistic jokes ive used are or have been based off of humor ive used in real life.
The orbital friendship cannon is gone. But its LEGACY LIVES ON IN US!
FOR PONY, FOR STUFF, FOR LUNA!

"I can has roleplaying!"
raider~joseph

Postby seaglass27 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:02 am

I can't figure out how to play an RPG so if anyone can help me with that, please do.

Here's how to make one, though: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=18880
seaglass27

Postby Dante » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:57 pm

1. How to maintain an RPG.

Come online often and take care of all your NPCs (Non Playable Characters) - bring all the players together, but don't 'force it', give opportunities. They want to get together too, but they need a plot reason to do so.

2. How to start it.

Write out a general idea of the story, some plot device that acts as the motive for players to act. Then Create the villians and NPCs, with NPCs that you control being as important as your bosses. Make your villians dynamic though, we're an anime forum, so we love various twists, like seemingly good NPCs turning out to be the villains, anti-villians and villains that turn good. You can do these little twists with things other then the villains as well - if you know one of the players, you could even secretly work out that they're a villain!

3. How to end it.

Sadly. More then likely the RP will just die... That's the nature of RPs on here. However, if you format it, you can have it end in a variety of manners. You can set a time-table after which the world ends (but realize it will probably end with everyone dead). Get your players through at any cost and then wrap it up by giving it an ending paragraph (you can always start another RP with the same characters later) - or if you're evil, place victory conditions in the game and if they fail cause a game over to trigger. Do put a lot of work into the game over though, also this can always lead into another RP. As long as it was fun, it's makes for an interesting plot element - but if you god-mod, you'll end up causing players to quit.

4. How to work the characters into the story.

Other then NPCs, that's the job of the players to do. They create their own characters, you create police officers, mayors, dojo masters, teachers and what not that give the characters crucial bits of advice, training or simply develop their characters. You get to control a ton of characters, but your job can get kind of boring on the regular NPCs occasionally.

5. How to create "boss battles". (Villains)

With DICE - or just have them write it out and eventually have the boss give it up and run or surrender or such (there are plenty of plot-ways to do this). Don't just do battles for battles sake though, make it important to the plot. (also figure out a system for if the players attack each other - we have a lot of schemer RPers on here who vie for global domination and don't mind taking unique routes to achieve their ends). Also, make your villains fun and interesting - give them a reason to want to know about this character more even if they hate him.

6. What attracts the most players.

It's a mystery. If you figure it out, let me know.

7. Best "Battle System". (How the characters fight opponents and each other, and how to decide who wins)

The players on CAA like 'light-RPing'. So the less rules the less dice rolls the better. Go for just having them write out their battles and just work with them to let them get a victory. Peanut and I have tried complicated - I had an entire massive spreadsheet with mile-long equations that calculated battle parameters and Peanut worked with something quite a bit more simple. Players didn't like either and it made updates incredibly difficult for us as GMs (as we sometimes had to do hundreds of calculations to figure out what happened). Focus on the story and don't sweat the small stuff - save the harder thought out stuff for the 'Big' boss battles.

8. How long does a normal RPG last?

Anywheres from a week to several years. If it goes on for several years - consider it a major victory.Typically, even if it dies, it will have enough steam to attract the old and some new players the next time around.

EDIT: Also if you want to go really crazy you can find PDF books on the subject. I've yet to use it (I'm sure it will be awesome if I do) but I have OVA for instance. It goes into detail on this question for a specific system in about over a 100 pages. But this has nothing on the tomes for D&D for instance. However, I'm not that crazy and the larger ones tend to limit you more.

Otaku Jordan (post: 1503316) wrote:I can't figure out how to play an RPG so if anyone can help me with that, please do.

Here's how to make one, though: http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=18880

Walk in, introduce yourself, create a character you'd like to play as (most RPGs on here require minimum stats that simply give other players an idea what your character looks like and gives you an idea about their personality and history) and then write stories for them and them alone in the RP. When other players or things interact with you, either by other players or by GM, then interact back as you expect your character would. That's called 'getting in character'. Most of all, just have fun writing for your character and reading what other players write. RPGs are like free books written by you and a group of friends, like an interactive choose your own adventure that's multi-player and the choices are infinite. To be a really good RP player, learn to be a really good author.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Furen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Otaku Jordan (post: 1503316) wrote:I can't figure out how to play an RPG so if anyone can help me with that, please do.

Listen to the story (Key so you know where to go)
Grind grind grind (fight fight fight)

generally you'll be fine from there.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Return to Tutorials