Artist's Block

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Artist's Block

Postby aliveinHim » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:39 am

How does one get passed an artist's block. What's annoying is that I have inspiration. I just can't draw realism anymore. I used to be able to shade and make something look real and all of a sudden it looks like crap :(. Please help all you artists.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Furen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 pm

aliveinHim (post: 1498292) wrote:How does one get passed an artist's block. What's annoying is that I have inspiration. I just can't draw realism anymore. I used to be able to shade and make something look real and all of a sudden it looks like crap :(. Please help all you artists.

:/ best I can say is work at the basics again (the basics are always important) and just remember what you used to do or learn a new style you like better.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:47 pm

Draw anyways. About 2 years back, I hadn't drawn anything for years (That phrasing sounds funny, huh?). I was afraid that what I would draw would be terrible. I finally mustered up the courage to draw something. I'm not mentioning how well it turned out, but nevertheless, a roadblock in my artistic career, as I might call it, was removed. The more I drew, the better I got. That's the same with anyone. The lesson here is don't be afraid of drawing crap. You skill will improve, and if you don't want to keep around those memoirs of practice, well...

... there's always the garbage can.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 pm

Get a reference picture, or, depending on what you want, get a sibling or friend to pose for you (don't expect him/her to hold the pose for long, though). After paying close attention to whatever's tricky for you (e.g., noses, or ears), try again.

If you've never looked at drawing books or other resources, consider doing so. Knowing where exactly the eyes belong on an average adult's face is useful information, even if the people you draw aren't average adults.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby c.t.,girl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:31 am

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1501444) wrote:Get a reference picture, or, depending on what you want, get a sibling or friend to pose for you (don't expect him/her to hold the pose for long, though). After paying close attention to whatever's tricky for you (e.g., noses, or ears), try again.

If you've never looked at drawing books or other resources, consider doing so. Knowing where exactly the eyes belong on an average adult's face is useful information, even if the people you draw aren't average adults.

And if you don't have $$ for those books you can always look at some stuff here: http://tutorialsclub.deviantart.com/ :>

I have been and continue to be in an art slump for...*looks at DA to see when the last picture was put up by myself* it's been a while...>_>

BUT READING THESE THINGS KEEPS THINGS FRESH!
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby aliveinHim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks everybody! I seem to have overcome it :)
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:11 pm

A quote from Chuck Close that I find to be incredibly true:

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case."

Great, great advice. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby c.t.,girl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:35 pm

[quote="Radical Dreamer (post: 1501624)"]A quote from Chuck Close that I find to be incredibly true:

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs]

Such a genius.
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Return to Tutorials