Updating a Pre-existing site on Dreamweaver CS4?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Updating a Pre-existing site on Dreamweaver CS4?

Postby That Dude » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:00 pm

I just got Dreamweaver CS4 for the mac and haven't yet figured it out so I need a little help. Can somebody show me how to update a pre-existing php site from CS4?
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Maokun » Tue May 05, 2009 6:50 pm

This is also relevant to my interests because I'm exactly in the same position.
Maokun

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed May 06, 2009 4:32 am

It would kinda depend on how the site is hosted (the site I work with is weird, and a pain, and would require a completely different process than what I'm about to tell you), but shouldn't you just have to download the .php files off of your site and then open them up in Dreamweaver?

I haven't used Dreamweaver itself, but from my experience with Adobe GoLive, it never really seemed to like php much. It would still work with the page and highlight code syntax and such, but in the "preview" mode the php ends up being ignored because there's no server to run it through.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby That Dude » Wed May 06, 2009 1:12 pm

Yeah I'm still having troubles in this area...I think that it's some problem with my old mac I'm working on. Some sort of problem with the OS I'm guessing.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed May 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Can you not get to the .php files to download them?
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed May 06, 2009 5:03 pm

Suck down the existing site via ftp, make your changes (test if you can on a local dev server), and re-upload via ftp again. Then do your modifications on the local copy, and sync to the remote server whenever you have a new release.

This (oreilly.com) ought to help you get your dev environment working. Basically, you'll need to be running apache with whatever version of php is on the server, and mysql only if you need it for the site.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby That Dude » Thu May 07, 2009 8:25 am

The problem is that I'm not able to connect to the .ftp site from my computer, even though I have the correct ftp login info inputed.
That Dude

Postby mechana2015 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:10 am

That Dude (post: 1309904) wrote:The problem is that I'm not able to connect to the .ftp site from my computer, even though I have the correct ftp login info inputed.

That would be the problem you need to solve, probably through a discussion with the people serving the site, or making sure you're working on the right mode of FTP (SFTP can foul all kinds of things up, especially if they don't tell you to use it). Unfortunately, Dreamweaver has nothing to do with this part of the problem, unless you're using it for FTP access.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby That Dude » Fri May 08, 2009 11:16 am

Well one of my web contacts was able to figure the ftp problem out. So that's all fixed up. Thanks for all the help!
That Dude

Return to Tutorials