Advice for letters of reference

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Advice for letters of reference

Postby Jaltus-bot » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi

I am looking for advice for requesting letters of recommendation. Relavence to jobs is helpful, but I am most interested in scholarship letters of reference. What has worked for you? How many do you ask for from one person? How much time do you give them? What do you tell them about yourself when you ask?

Thank you
When I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Asdvadz hedut ullah! (W. Armenian, "May God bless you!")

It's cosplay, get used to it.

"A hero need not speak. For when he is gone, the world will speak for him."

"One of the nice things about diseases of the brain is they tend to slip your mind." Colbert
Jaltus-bot

Postby Sheenar » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:28 am

copied from the internet:
Admission to any institute of higher learning usually requires one or more letters of recommendation. Graduate programs often require the submission of two or more letters and frequently follow specifically outlined procedures for their creation and submission. Be sure to follow these instructions carefully.

Letters required for admission to post-graduate studies are typically written by a faculty member, academic advisor, or administrator. In some cases, an employer can write the letter if academic recommendations are not available. These letters provide the admissions committee with information not found in the application--information that shows the applicant matches the school's expectations and requirements. The letter also provides an opportunity for an applicant to be seen as an individual, and helps him or her to stand out from the hundreds or thousands of other applicants.

It is important that the person providing the recommendation has a good understanding of your academic history, interests, goals, and direction. Normally, this type of recommendation letter is addressed to a specific person and should be submitted along with the admission application or as outlined in the admissions procedure. In many cases, accredited universities require that letters of recommendation be sent directly to specific departments or to the admissions office. If this is the case, the applicant may be required to sign a waiver of confidentiality and relinquish his or her right to access the information contained in the letter or forms. Academic letters of recommendation may contain evidence or confirmation of the following:

* Academic performance
* Honors and awards
* Initiative, dedication, integrity, reliability, etc.
* Willingness to follow school policy
* Ability to work with others
* Ability to work independently

Your teachers should be able to help you --don't be afraid to ask. That's what I did back in high school --I just asked around until I got the answers I wanted.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Return to Tutorials