Cosplay help! Sewing on designy-thingies

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Cosplay help! Sewing on designy-thingies

Postby minakichan » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Heyyy, so I'm a complete cosplay noob who knows nothing about anything =_=; Starting out has been fun and I've learned a lot! But I've kind of hit a wall right now, can someone help me out?

The character I'm trying to cosplay (Odin from Romeo X Juliet http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/minakichan/odin_4.jpg ) has these designs on her vest; in reality, they're probably embroidered, but there's a lot of them so I don't think I can do that. Instead, I bought some fabric that's that color, but now I'm not sure how to actually attach it... If I just cut it out and sew it on, won't the stitches be highly visible, and won't the raw edges look really messy? Is there an alternative or some supaa sekrit technique to making it look decent?

Thanks~ =D
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:32 pm

Embroidery is difficult anyway. What you're looking for is applique. Here. I've found a little tutorial for you. ^-^
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby minakichan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Ooooooooooh~ Wow, this is pretty cool. Thanks!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:41 pm

Don't even bother trying to do this sort of thing, even if you managed to make it it, it probably wouldn't look right. What you are looking for is a silk brocade fabric, which are more expensive than other fabrics, but they have elegant designs pre-embroidered on them. Some examples of brocade fabrics can be found here (and no, I am not hotlinking to the images themselves). Indeed, it looks to me like the character you linked to is in a silk brocade dress.
GhostontheNet

Postby Aka-chan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:24 pm

I guess it really depends on you. Brocade looks really nice, but sometimes it's hard to find exactly the design you want. Applique can look really good, but it depends on the time you're willing to put in--it can be quite costly time-wise. I can't tell exactly how much pattern there is, though--it would help if you could give us a full-body shot.
Aka-chan

Postby minakichan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:31 am

Oh sorry, I actually linked the wrong image (*HEADDESK*):
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/minakichan/?action=view¤t=odin_3.jpg is more accurate.

I can't go for brocade since the design thing is so specific (but it's my fault for posting the wrong pic ><). The time-consuming aspect of applique is a little scary to me-- AniBos is in about 3 weeks, hope I'm not completely screwed. Obviously, I'd like it to look nice, but I sort of am beginning to understand that as a cosplay noob with limited time, that'll be difficult ;_;. Thanks for all y'all's help~
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:16 am

[quote="minakichan (post: 1203160)"]Oh sorry, I actually linked the wrong image (*HEADDESK*):
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b328/minakichan/?action=view¤t=odin_3.jpg is more accurate.

I can't go for brocade since the design thing is so specific (but it's my fault for posting the wrong pic ><). The time-consuming aspect of applique is a little scary to me-- AniBos is in about 3 weeks, hope I'm not completely screwed. Obviously, I'd like it to look nice, but I sort of am beginning to understand that as a cosplay noob with limited time, that'll be difficult ]

Yep, with this costume a brocade would be entirely inappropriate. The material used in this pic looks like it is made out of a rougher and more durable material like canvas. Fortunately, since the artists kept the shapes of the designs on this vest fairly basic, stitching these patterns on will probably not be as difficult as they looked on the first picture. I'd venture to guess that the designs could be cut out from a material similar to the vest and then patched on.
GhostontheNet

Postby Debitt » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:00 am

Personally, I'd go for applique, but if you're pressed for time, maybe you could try painting/stenciling the designs on with fabric paint? There are several brands of acrylic-like fabric paint out there that can be ironed to make the paint somewhat permanent. Obviously you'll have to be somewhat careful while working so it doesn't look painted, but I don't think that would be TOO difficult, since the patterns aren't big or complicated.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Return to Tutorials