Intro to Japanese Language Thread. (Weekly Updates).

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Intro to Japanese Language Thread. (Weekly Updates).

Postby Shuji » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:59 am

Hey, names Ryan and I'm currently a student at the Ohio State University majoring in Japanese. I was trying to figure out a way to keep up on my Japanese and help others that want to learn to get into it as well. So I figured, why not make a weekly Japanese "Class" done on the forums. I am new to the language myself. But have taken enough so that I can teach the basics and re-enforce my own learning. I have websites that can be used in conjunction for pronunciation and practice. If anyone is interested in this idea post and let me know, and I'll start this thread up. Anyone else with experience with the language is more than welcome to help out as well.
Shuji

Postby samuraidragon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:49 am

I'd be interested. My Japanese class doesn't start until June and it wouldn't hurt at all to get in some learnin' before then. :)
-マックスウェル

"My my, the cruelest lies are often told without a word; my my, the kindest truths are often spoken, never heard." Ben Folds, The Last Polka

No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friend - John 15:13
samuraidragon

Postby Doe Johnson » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:54 am

I'd be interested. I took two years in high school and am going to Japan this semester. I've tried making little helper sites too, but i never finished them...maybe I should start them up again.
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Peregrine » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:15 am

I have absolutely no experience with japanese, but I will definitly be following this thread. Languages always interest me.
Peregrine

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:55 am

I know a handful of terms and phrases and about half of the Hiragana alphabet, but other than that, I don't know much at all. XD I'd be interested in checking up on this thread every once in a while, though. Can't hurt to learn something new. :thumb:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kawaiikneko » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Shuji wrote:Hey, names Ryan and I'm currently a student at the Ohio State University majoring in Japanese. I was trying to figure out a way to keep up on my Japanese and help others that want to learn to get into it as well. So I figured, why not make a weekly Japanese "Class" done on the forums. I am new to the language myself. But have taken enough so that I can teach the basics and re-enforce my own learning. I have websites that can be used in conjunction for pronunciation and practice. If anyone is interested in this idea post and let me know, and I'll start this thread up. Anyone else with experience with the language is more than welcome to help out as well.

Whoo, an OSU student! How's their Japanese language department? I was thinking of taking Japanese down at OSU during my senior year and I'd love to have some insight into the program.

On an entirely seperate note: OUCH... Buckeyes... *hides face*
Kawaiikneko

Postby Shuji » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:02 pm

Kawaiikneko wrote:Whoo, an OSU student! How's their Japanese language department? I was thinking of taking Japanese down at OSU during my senior year and I'd love to have some insight into the program.

On an entirely seperate note: OUCH... Buckeyes... *hides face*

yea...uh...I dont want to talk about that game. It never happened. Thats what I tell myself. In reguards to how the Japanese course offerings are, in a word they are very impressive. I've taken foreign language in Highschool (spanish for 4 years) and learned more Japanese in just one quarter than spanish from Highschool. The teachers are helpful, kind, and most importantly extremely knowledgeable. Highly recomend it here. If you have any specific questions about the Japanese course offerings here let me know and I'll answer the best I can.

The course setup I can describe for you now, it consists of what are called "ACT" and "FACT" sessions. In ACT class (which takes place 5 times a week) we speak only in japanese interacting with native speakers of the language and learning proper context, culture queues, pronunciation and fluency. This all takes place in a small classroom setting with 10-15 students. In the FACT sessions which take place twice a week it is in a sort of lecture hall where we are free to ask any questions we may have about the class and go over what we have done in ACT. With the mixture of these two class types learning really seems to come together.
Shuji

Return to Tutorials