Why do the good cartoons die young!!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Re: Why do the good cartoons die young!!

Postby Kilvakar » Sat May 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog definitely deserves a mention here. One of my favorite shows, and unquestionably the best Sonic series made, got cancelled due after the 2nd season, and ended with a pair of glowing eyes showing up on the screen! The original Freedom Fighters are way better than the characters they use now, imo.
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby randomuser2349 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:00 pm

One modern cartoon is hurt by your words:
randomuser2349

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 pm

What's wrong with her face?
Ante Bellum

Postby Thunderscream872 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:26 am

Young Justice -- really wish it would've gotten at least fifty episodes along with a decent ending. :( That show had allot of potential to be great (though, it was great, it just could've been even better with a more fitting ending).
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby radical edward » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:52 pm

That's CN for you.
FKA rocklobster
radical edward

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:48 pm

Give it a rest already. You're thirty-something years old complaining about a network for kids.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nate » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Just be thankful that he didn't use his "clever" nickname for them.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Xeno » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:32 pm

The Cancellation Network?
Xeno

Postby Ante Bellum » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Maybe it was the Carton Network.
Ante Bellum

Postby Xeno » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Pack of Newports please.

Hey, does anyone remember Joe Camel?
Last edited by Xeno on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeno

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Xeno wrote:The Cancellation Network?

That's better.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:33 am

Edited: miss quoted and miss read on what was said. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Roy Mustang on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Mustang

Postby LastLfan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Actually it was the president of CN that complained about girls watching yj, and now they have written off rights to beware the batman and sym-bionic Titan, so they will never be on CN, also I don't think supergirl is confirmed for cbs yet, but titans is confirmed for TNT, they are currently considering ordering a pilot
LastLfan

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:59 pm

Yeah Paul Dini specifically stated it was Cartoon Network execs that canceled the show because "too many girls" were watching. Rocklobster's weird obsession with CN is a bit crazy sometimes but in this case he's 100% correct that CN was behind Young Justice's cancellation and that they're complete idiots for doing so.

Nate

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:08 am

LastLfan wrote: also I don't think supergirl is confirmed for cbs yet, but titans is confirmed for TNT, they are currently considering ordering a pilot

http://www.blastr.com/2014-9-19/its-off ... coming-cbs
Roy Mustang

Postby Thunderscream872 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:36 am

Nate wrote:Yeah Paul Dini specifically stated it was Cartoon Network execs that canceled the show because "too many girls" were watching. Rocklobster's weird obsession with CN is a bit crazy sometimes but in this case he's 100% correct that CN was behind Young Justice's cancellation and that they're complete idiots for doing so.

How is that a reason to cancel a show? Girls aren't allowed to like superheroes according to CN? Seriously? :eyebrow: What a bunch of backward thinking idiots.

Didn't know a live-action Teen Titans show was in the works. I'm assuming its gonna be live-action and not a cartoon since supposedly its gonna air on TNT. Sounds interesting. I loved 2003-2006 (I think that's when it aired) series, can't say I'm much of a fan of Teen Titans Go! though....

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

Thunderscream872

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Thunderscream872 wrote:How is that a reason to cancel a show? Girls aren't allowed to like superheroes according to CN? Seriously? :eyebrow: What a bunch of backward thinking idiots.

They're idiots, but not "backward thinking." They're capitalist thinking. I've quoted it before but here's what Paul Dini said about it:

DINI: "They're all for boys 'we do not want the girls', I mean, I've heard executives say this, you know, not [where I am] but at other places, saying like, 'We do not want girls watching this show."

SMITH: "WHY? That's 51% of the population."

DINI: "They. Do. Not. Buy. Toys. The girls buy different toys. The girls may watch the show—"

And Kevin Smith talks here about how executives can't figure out their own job and they could just sell different kinds of merchandise, so that's ridiculous. And then Dini says:

DINI: "That's the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I'll just lay it on the line: that's the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, like, 'we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys'—this is the network talking—'one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.' And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls' back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]'s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, 'F***, no, we want the boys' action, it's boys' action, this goofy boy humor we've gotta get that in there. And we can't—' and I'd say, but look at the numbers, we've got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—'Yeah, but the—so many—we've got too many girls. We need more boys.'"

SMITH: "That's heart-breaking."

DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.' We had a whole… we had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it's like, 'Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they buy the action figures, girls buy princesses, we're not selling princesses.'"

Nate

Postby LastLfan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:01 pm

Cool, survivor and supergirl I love cbs now, but yes I think titans is kind of an apology letter to fans of 03-06 for that tragedy of go. The two reasons I watch it at all are I appreciate some of the gags they do like throwing in professor Chimp, and if I'm gonna waste time with a dumb CN show as background noise, I prefer seeing beast boy to pizza Steve
LastLfan

Postby Thunderscream872 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Yep, it's all about selling toys, I get it, and I know these people need to make a living just like everyone else; but I find it hard to believe that the only possible, lucrative thing they can sell is toys. Really? Idk, I don't manage anything except me (sort of), so I probably don't have room to talk, but I feel like there are plenty of things they can market to girls (and guys alike for that matter). Isn't that kinda their job to find ways to market their product. Seems like they'd rather just kill the product, and find something easy that they don't have to think about. Business is business, I guess.

Needless to say, as a dude, even when I was younger, like, 9-14ish I was never as entertained by pointless action and explosions as much as I enjoyed backstory, character development, drama, etc. Guess that's not most young guys according to CN.

LastLfan wrote:Cool, survivor and supergirl I love cbs now, but yes I think titans is kind of an apology letter to fans of 03-06 for that tragedy of go. The two reasons I watch it at all are I appreciate some of the gags they do like throwing in professor Chimp, and if I'm gonna waste time with a dumb CN show as background noise, I prefer seeing beast boy to pizza Steve

Regular Show is about the only thing I enjoy on CN these days (besides when they play re-runs of Courage, Dexter's Laboratory, etc. every once in a while). I've tried to watch Go a couple times--hasn't made me laugh once. I feel like the humor is very uncreative in there.

Thunderscream872

Postby LastLfan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:32 am

I really enjoy adventure time, I feel it had a bad start, but have actually built a really interesting world at this point, but Jake and Finn aren't really my favorites, they're okay but the episodes where they are more secondary characters are usually better to me, like root beer guy and simon and Marcie. That being said "breezy" was an INCREDIBLE episode. Best on CN now in my opinion is steven universe. I feel like CN just did bad at promoting it. They showed the random weird moments to make it look like a stupid gag show like uncle grandpa without showing any context that makes those moments charming as opposed to stupid. It's like adventure time, but people know adventure time tackles deep stuff so they ignore the stupid commercials, but actually steven feels right off the bat like a season 5 episode of adventure time, Rebecca sugar has been a great job with this and has made a world both charming and mysterious.

To end my rambling, back to the main point of the thread, let's lament Lakewood plaza turbo, the little show that almost was.
LastLfan

Previous

Return to General Entertainment