The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Postby Sammy Boy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:36 am

Has anyone seen this film?

My wife and I saw it this afternoon, we thought it was better than the first one.

We don't consider ourselves diehard fans of Tolkien's work, so did not feel disappointed about characters which the book never mentioned (in fact, we felt it was a good addition).

My only disappointment was the fact that some things were still unresolved by the film's end, but I suppose that's why Jackson is doing three films...
Sammy Boy

Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Postby Crossfire » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:12 pm

I haven't seen it yet because it doesn't look like my cup of tea, particularly with all the unneeded additions and what not. Which is somewhat weird considering I loved the previous LotR trilogy and liked the first Hobbit film. I just don't understand why they had to shoe-horn in Legolas and some elf chick for this one... why not save them for the last movie considering it's primarily going to be SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The Battle of the Five Armies. Would make more sense to put them in that part.
Crossfire

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:28 pm

I was very disappointed by quite a few things. Any of the forbidden dwarf/elf love scenes were hard to watch and a few other additions made me squirm in my seat, not to mention the fact that squeezing another movie out of this is ridiculous. All that being said, I still loved it and that is exactly the kind of movie experience I want out of the theatre. All Gandalf scenes were amazing.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Hated it. $9.50 gone down the drain.
K. Ayato

Postby Adie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:55 pm

I haven't read the book yet, so I don't know what exactly was changed/added to the storyline - but I enjoyed it a lot. :) I felt like it did drag a bit in parts, and I liked the first film better overall. The whole sequence with Smaug was amazing, though!
Adie

Postby Nate » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:28 pm

I thought it was pretty bad honestly. I liked the first one fine but this one just dragged on for too long and felt really dull.

There was no riddling with Smaug. Disappointing. Also Bilbo was not invisible for the conversation. I know it's because they figured that filming an entire scene with the wavy invisible filter would be annoying, or because you don't want to have your main character (which isn't Gandalf despite what the movie would have you think :V) not visible for so long, but it's still dumb.

Legolas being there was nothing but pure fanservice and that's annoying. The fight on the river WAS totally awesome though.

This could have easily been two movies though and it's really frustrating that they're making it three.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Crossfire » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Mullet Death wrote:Any of the forbidden dwarf/elf love scenes were hard to watch

Wait, it's actually true? I thought someone was just pulling my leg... time to go into overreaction mode.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY :bang:
Crossfire

Postby DecooPunk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:25 am

I liked it, but it wasn't very good. They added too much stuff and left out things that they shouldn't have left out.
I really don't know why they added Tauriel. The romance between her and Kili was awful.
DecooPunk

Postby Yuki-Anne » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:35 am

DecooPunk wrote: I really don't know why they added Tauriel. The romance between her and Kili was awful.

what is this I don't even

I don't know, I haven't seen it yet and I'll probably still love it but that sounds pretty bad... lol...

Also, I'm pretty sure I've said it before but Legolas being in the Hobbit movies was fanservice that I called twelve years ago when I was still one of those Legolas fans who would have been served...
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby K. Ayato » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:53 am

I hated it.
K. Ayato

Postby marro1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:28 am

I saw the midnight showing. I thought it was great.
Now I see. You’re Jealous. You’re jealous of humans aren’t you? According to you, humans are supposed to be a lot weaker than homunculi. And yet, even if they get discouraged after being beaten, and even if they get close to falling down after losing their paths, they continue to get up and fight. Everyone around them helps them get back up. And you’re envious of that.
Edward

I'm a worthless piece of garbage that can't even write a straight looking K!
Death the Kid.

marro1

Postby AnimeGirl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:55 am

It was awesome, but then it wasn't. I have read the book, and they have many detouring moments. Yes, the dwarf/elf love is annoying, though it wasn't as bad as I initially thought. Smaug is the only reason you should see this movie, that and the barrel scene. Actually, the best parts are what was kept to the book or existed even if it was only mentioned in the book. The added stuff was...ehhh...

I really wish The Hobbit was only two films; now we have to wait, kyaaah!
AnimeGirl

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sat May 24, 2014 4:57 pm

I am six months late but I have FINALLY watched it.

...it was so bad. I just... I felt like they rushed through all the stuff that was actually in the book so that they could drag through the useless filler crap that was thrown in. The Kili/Tauriel?Legolas thing was almost Padme/Anakin levels of bad. I felt embarrassed watching it. Thranduil needed more screen time. Bard was pretty well done; I liked the addition of his family. And I will say is that the way they did Smaug blew every other movie dragon out of the water. His movements were so lifelike. I suddenly realized that every other movie dragon I've ever seen is stiff and slow. It almost (ALMOST) made the confusing action sequence in the mine worth it.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Return to General Entertainment