Star Wars changes

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:32 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1502086) wrote:Wait a second--

Star Trek and Star Wars are not mutually exclusive interests. They're not even all that similar once you get past the spaceships and weird aliens. I wish people would stop with that "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE" stuff.

I would argue that the most recent Trek movie is far more like Star Wars than it is like the rest of Star Trek.

But honestly, I have no idea why there is such a rivalry in general. Star Wars is fantasy action adventure, and (traditional) Star Trek is true sci-fi with some adventure thrown in. They are incredibly different, and it should be apparent to anyone who has spent time watching both.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1502087) wrote:Star Wars is fantasy action adventure, and (traditional) Star Trek is true sci-fi with some adventure thrown in. They are incredibly different, and it should be apparent to anyone who has spent time watching both.

Thank you.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby bakura91 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:43 pm

I wouldn't be so annoyed with Lucas if he would just include the unaltered films on the same blue ray set as an option, If he did that I wouldn't even care or complain about the changes. I'm really thankful that other directors haven't done this type of thing with other movies I like. Oh except E.T
bakura91

Postby rocklobster » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Besides, if it weren't for Star Wars' popularity, we wouldn't even have Star Trek movies!
Anyway, this will surprise you: I do not approve of these changes! Yes, I am well-known on these boards for defending the prequels. But even I think these changes are unnecessary. I agree that having Vader shout "NO!" as he falls to his death is just silly. (When he discovered Padme's death, however, that didn't bother me. It seemed like the reaction anyone who discovered that news would've made)
And why does Yoda need to be CGI? He looked fine as a puppet. Why does he need to blink, even? Why do the Ewoks need to be CGI? They were just fine the way they were. (And for the record, I loved the Ewoks! Long live Wicket!)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:54 pm

Hitler didn't seem to pleased with the changes either. (He uses some language though to express his frustration though)
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Nate » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:28 pm

bakura91 wrote:I wouldn't be so annoyed with Lucas if he would just include the unaltered films on the same blue ray set as an option,

The reason Lucas doesn't want to do that is because he doesn't want people to like the theatrical versions. The reason why is when Star Wars was made, Lucas did not have complete creative control. He had to work with other people who limited Lucas in what he wanted to do, as well as helped fix his writing.

The prequels are what we get when Lucas has complete creative control. And Lucas is obviously still very upset that he didn't get to do everything he wanted to, and every change he's made is to make it more like his vision. This is why he does not want to give fans the original theatrical releases. He wants to show everyone "Hey look at how great I am, me, not those other guys who worked on the film, it's all ME." So he's not going to release the original theatrical cuts, or at the very least, if he does he'll screw over the fans like he did with the DVD versions where it had poor quality video or something.
And why does Yoda need to be CGI? He looked fine as a puppet.

He wants Yoda to look consistent across all the movies. The puppet they used in Episode 1 was AWFUL looking, which is why it got replaced with the CGI in the later versions. And so, to have a consistent look to Yoda, he needs to replace the puppet in the original trilogy with CGI.

So it's actually Episode 1's fault he's replacing puppet Yoda with CGI. Yep, yet another reason to hate the prequels.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Wait he's replaceing puppet yoda in ALL of them? I thought it was just Ep 1 o.O I don't care about replacing the puppet from 1, it looked like crap anyway and out of place among all the other CG. The puppet in ESB and ROTJ he better not touch though. That puppet was awesome. Changing that would be a slap in the face to Frank Oz and his talent for brining puppets to life and making them believable.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Psycho Molos » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:35 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1502086) wrote:Wait a second--

Star Trek and Star Wars are not mutually exclusive interests. They're not even all that similar once you get past the spaceships and weird aliens. I wish people would stop with that "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE" stuff.

(brandishes a sword ready to behead an immortal) "There can be only one!!". I know this a SW thread and not a Highlander one but... Lol
[color="Cyan"]Oh MOES! It's Czadek peddling the Black Pill for the Merv! Dark Evolution[/color]

Ich hasst Mein lieben.....
Psycho Molos

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:49 pm

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1502147) wrote:Here's a compilation of all changes made to A New Hope.

That's a very interesting article. The rest of the series, while not yet covering the Blue ray versions is good too.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:42 pm

I was never bothered with most of the changes made for the "Special Edition" of Star Wars, actually liked most of them, except for that whole "Han shot first" thing (although I keep reading that that was actually changed because of the MPAA...) But these changes are just stupid, although I was thinking that the "ewan mcgregor dubs Guiness' lines" thing was just thrown into that article as a joke. And replacing puppet Yoda with CGI is only for Episode 1, as far as I could tell.

At this point I'm surprised he hasn't just tried to remake the original trilogy entirely honestly.

I'd say that that would actually be better than what he is doing. At least then they;d likely be released as their own seperate thing, not constantly altering the movies that already exist...unless he evily decided that the remakes erase the older films from existance entirely. ...on second thought, maybe remakes wouldn;t be good *hides*
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Rocketshipper wrote:although I keep reading that that was actually changed because of the MPAA...

Untrue. It was changed because Lucas said that he saw Han as a sort of "space samurai" with a code of honor and stuff. He didn't like Han shooting first because he saw it as "dishonorable" for Han to do so, which is why he changed it to Greedo shooting first, because then it was totally self-defense.
unless he evily decided that the remakes erase the older films from existance entirely

Which is exactly what he'd do. The original trilogy would no longer be canon and the remakes would. I'm not saying he SHOULD remake the original trilogy, I'm just saying with all the changes he's making he might as well go ahead and do it. Of course, the reason why he doesn't is because it'd be too expensive. While it costs money to edit and alter the original films, it's still far cheaper than remaking them entirely.

Nate

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:36 pm

plus he'd have to get new actors, although I must admit it might be amusing to see Mark Hamill and Co try to play those parts again at their ages now...

The DVD release of the special edition changed the Han/Greedo thing to them shooting at eachother at like the exact same time. Wonder why he altered it again.

AAML forever!

"Like the moon over

Rocketshipper

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm perfectly fine with the Special Editions from 1997 or so (except for the Greedo shot first scene) but this is going much too far! Just release the theatrical release on DVD and Blu-ray!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby rocklobster » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:33 am

Yeah, the DVD's I have actually include the original restored theatrical version. So why couldn't they do the same for the Blu-Ray?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby battletech » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:10 am

Here is some of the might be changes all in one place. These video clips have not been confirmed.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/09/06/video-scene-changes-scheduled-for-star-wars-blu-ray
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:31 am

battletech (post: 1502456) wrote:Here is some of the might be changes all in one place. These video clips have not been confirmed.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/09/06/video-scene-changes-scheduled-for-star-wars-blu-ray

The Darth Vader noo isn't as bad as I thought. I thought maybe they'd just copy and paste the No from Revenge of the Sith. But I still hate this version.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Edward » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Nate (post: 1502132) wrote:The reason Lucas doesn't want to do that is because he doesn't want people to like the theatrical versions. The reason why is when Star Wars was made, Lucas did not have complete creative control. He had to work with other people who limited Lucas in what he wanted to do, as well as helped fix his writing.

Where are all of the other people who worked on the original trilogy then? What happened that made Lucas able to change whatever he wanted in it? It's one thing for an artist to re-do something they made if they think the original wasn't true to their vision or something, but how can he make changes to the trilogy if he wasn't the only person to work on it? Unless they agree to all the changes, that is.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Rocketshipper » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Here is some of the might be changes all in one place. These video clips have not been confirmed.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...r-wars-blu-ray

The no is still stupid. The Greedo scene is at least better than what it was when the special editions originally came out. The Ewok thing doesn;t bother me at all, in fact, I think its actually kinda cool. and its not obtrusive or anything...in that clip you can really only see it at the very beginning. And that new Krayt dragon call sounds really weird. Although the original call sounded weird too. The change doesn't *ruin* anything, but its still pointless.

AAML forever!

"Like the moon over

Rocketshipper

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Some screenshots from the Prequel Trilogy Blu-rays are starting to pop up. Here are three shots.

Jabba

Gungan Celebration

Darth Maul

I haven't seen these movies since they were in theaters, so I just have to say: the quality of the CG and prosthetic make up just makes these movies even more of a joke. I have no idea how those horn prosthetics were considered passable, honestly.

Cognitive Gear

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 am

Wow. They looked a lot more credible in the cinema.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 am

The wonders of high definition!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:43 am

ROFL. Oh my gosh, these are so bad! I haven't seen the prequel movies in a LONG time (especially Episode I), but wow. I did not remember the CGI being that terrible-looking. XD Also, Darth Maul's horns are such a joke. XD I'm beginning to wonder how many times they fell off in his intense fighting scenes. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 am

So why does Darth Maul glue horns to his head?

Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:55 am

Now that's just lazy. All the money in the world can they can't blend the horns?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby bakura91 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Imagine If Steven Spielberg added a bunch of Cgi Shark scenes for a Jaws blu-ray. Or if George A.Romero decided the original Dawn of the Dead Zombies weren't colored realistically and "improved" all the zombie shots with cgi to make them look more current that would be ridiculous.(Lol I'm only 20 so you can't say I'm being an old timer, I'm just really nerdy about film.)
bakura91

Postby battletech » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:35 am

Five Stages of Star Wars Revisionism Fan Grief
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:33 pm

He's changing things up again? Wow, I don't know if I'll have time to keep up with all of these changes. I like Star Wars, but am I enough of a fan to really want to bother with all of these changes too? In addition to all of the random stories which hardly make sense that he's already thrown in with the new Clone Wars CGI series? Eeeeshhh....

Also, I don't see any point in re-dubbing Obi-Wan's lines...
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby bakura91 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:50 pm

battletech (post: 1502898) wrote:Five Stages of Star Wars Revisionism Fan Grief

Thats actually pretty accurate to tell the truth.
bakura91

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:53 pm

battletech (post: 1502898) wrote:Five Stages of Star Wars Revisionism Fan Grief

There is a different path- Finding high quality fan created Despecializations online, and moving on with life.

Cognitive Gear

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment