First Image of Henry Cavill as Superman

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

First Image of Henry Cavill as Superman

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:41 am

The first official image of Henry Cavill as Superman has been released.

Click for super size:

I hope that whatever color filters they slapped all over this thing aren't in the final movie. Superman needs color.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:00 am

Looks great. But isn't the entire place grey? I don't think that's a filter. Plus, Superman is in color.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:33 am

Yes, but he's not very bright. Superman needs to be bright!
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Okami » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:53 am

TopazRaven (post: 1495435) wrote:Yes, but he's not very bright. Superman needs to be bright!

Agreed! XD
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:58 am

If he's in a solid concrete bank vault with a hole in the ceiling and no lights on except the sun coming through the hole in the roof filtered by dust, why should there be a whole bunch of color? Considering the circumstances the image is protraying, it looks pretty good to me. It's not the sort of scene where the color is going to stand out, but he'll probably be plenty bright in full lighting.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:17 pm

I. don't like any of it. and that makes me sad.

I don't like the scaled costume, looks like he got the material from Aquaman. The hair would be tolerable if he at least had the S-curl.
Solid Ronin

Postby rocklobster » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 am

There's a new Superman movie out? Why wasn't I told?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Looks much darker than expected. I like the look but yeah the filtering can go away to foggy
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:39 pm

...am I the only person who wishes they'd just give Superman a rest?
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1496239) wrote:...am I the only person who wishes they'd just give Superman a rest?

I actually want more Superman. He hasn't exactly had a huge movie screen presence lately. I'd really like to see Zack Snyder do something good here, as I think that he has a great eye for visuals, but not much mind for how to use them. I do believe that he can overcome the latter problem with some effort and a good producer.

Anyways, if this attempt fails, then I want one last reboot attempt before putting Superman down for another decade (or two). This time, put him back where he originated, the 1930's and 1940's. Embrace Superman's goody two shoes nature, leaving the gritty grimdark to Batman, because I am honestly getting sick of it.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Cognitive Gear

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Wait, are they setting it back in the 30's? Because if they did THAT I would be instantly interested.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1496288) wrote:Wait, are they setting it back in the 30's? Because if they did THAT I would be instantly interested.

Oh no, they aren't. Sorry if that wasn't clear. But it would be awesome, wouldn't it? That's what my Superman movie would be. :lol:

Cognitive Gear

Postby Wolf-man » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Yuki-Anne (post: 1496239) wrote:...am I the only person who wishes they'd just give Superman a rest?

Well considering how little Superman there has been in mainstream media I'm not sure what the problem is. I mean if anyone needs a rest its Batman and Spider-man. Don't get me wrong I love them bother but there has been so much of them in media recently that I would like a break from them.

I really want more Superman. I mean he hasn't had a good live-action movie since Superman 2. I love Superman mostly for all the reasons people hate him. People say he is overpowered and therefore not relatable. Well he's not supposed to be relatable. He is supposed to be inspirational. Superman is the hero that everyone wishes they could be. He is the hero that people can look up to. Batman is a great hero but he is not an inspirational one. He may be one of the good guys but he's not exactly an upstanding citizen. That's what makes his friendship with Superman so awesome because there are complete opposite ends of the spectrum and yet they are the best of friends.
People may be able to relate to Spider-man but they can't look up to him. He is not much older than many of the comic book readers especially today and he deals with everyday problems along with his superhero duties. So great in relatability but not so much in being inspirational.

I absolutely love this picture and I really hope that the movie is as good. I mean Superman has been dealt such a bad rap in Hollywood that I really want him to get a movie that does for him what Batman Begins did for Batman.

Solid Ronin wrote:I. don't like any of it. and that makes me sad.

I don't like the scaled costume, looks like he got the material from Aquaman.

Unfortunately, that will be Superman's official costume everywhere from now on. Thanks to the families of the creators who brought a lawsuit against DC. DC lost partial rights to the costume so they had to change it.
Wolf-man

Postby Xeno » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Wolf-man (post: 1496306) wrote:Batman is a great hero but he is not an inspirational one.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that point. Maybe this because of what happened to me specifically, but Batman was a very inspiring character for me (and it's also why he's my favorite superhero character). I lived with cancer from ages 3-6, and during that time I was very limited in what I could do and spent much time in hospitals undergoing treatment. The movie with Michael Keaton came out the year before I was diagnosed, and I ended up watching it many times while I was stuck in bed either at home or in a hospital (to the point where I could quote every characters lines in sync to the video with the audio off). I literally latched on to Batman, and have been a huge fan since. He was, and has continued to be, and inspiration to me ever since. He was, at least to a 3 year old Xeno, proof that anyone could be a superhero. You didn't have to born on some other planet, or be bitten by a radioactive spider, or have a mutated genome]I absolutely love this picture and I really hope that the movie is as good. I mean Superman has been dealt such a bad rap in Hollywood that I really want him to get a movie that does for him what Batman Begins did for Batman.[/QUOTE]

I second this completely.
Xeno

Postby Midknight74012 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 pm

http://sciencefiction.com/2010/12/30/batman-technology-inspires-defense-industry-design/ Not inspirational? The US military has something to say about that.
Psalms 82:3-4
Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless;
maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
Rescue the weak and needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
Midknight74012

Postby bakura91 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:17 am

I know some might not agree with me but I really did want a Good Superman reboot. I love the comics but besides the cartoon I only really liked the first 2 movies. I'm rejoicing at the thought that I'll finally have a modern Superman movie that isn't Returns, Maybe they'll finally have some more villains from the comics like Metallo or Brainiac! or Doomsday (hopefully not all in the same film though I dont want this to be Superman Lives lol)
bakura91

Postby Yuki-Anne » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:28 pm

I guess I'm thinking in terms of ALL the Superman-related media, including tv shows and crummy reboots. I'll be fine with if it's an actually good movie, because who doesn't like a good movie?

But the tricky part is making an actually good movie.
Yuki-Anne

Postby bakura91 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:16 pm

I Cant wait! Ive been waiting for a new Superman movie. Before I saw Returns was when I was starting to get into Superman and DC comics so Superman Returns was a huge let-down to me. When I saw Dark knight at the theater I loved it so much I saw it the again the next week with a friend and I kept telling him "Next year man there gonna make a new Superman thats gonna be awesome this time!" So Ive been waiting for a while.
bakura91

Postby Solid Ronin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:51 pm

Everyone's been saying they want a good Superman movie, and I am in agreement and If it were up to me, I'd make it a full CGI movie.

Anyways, if this attempt fails, then I want one last reboot attempt before putting Superman down for another decade (or two). This time, put him back where he originated, the 1930's and 1940's. Embrace Superman's goody two shoes nature, leaving the gritty grimdark to Batman, because I am honestly getting sick of it.

While I like the idea of a retro Supes, I don't see it as necessary, if the world ever needed another perfect man its nowadays.

To go along with what You and Wolf Superman is a hero that's an actual GOOD guy, so when people come from seeing a Superman movie, they should be able to think "If everyone acted more like Superman the world would be so so much better."
Solid Ronin

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Looks like some people have snuck to the shooting location and taken some photos:

Colors are still lacking. The cape folds look fantastic, though, and unlike a lot of Superman fans I actually like the lack of red underpants and the details they added to the suit. I am concerned about the lack of cape in many of these shots, I hope that it isn't gone for half of the movie. Capes may be impractical, but they sure do look good flapping with the wind, and can add a lot of weight to super powered action.

Cognitive Gear

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:30 pm

At last. After 75 years, Superman figured out that undies go on the inside of the pants.

Also, to whoever said an all CGI superman would be awesome: If they got the artist who did the Deathly Hallows segment, I'd be all upons.
Yuki-Anne

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:22 am

Not sure about those pictures i hope a lack of cape doesn't mean like a CG one. Zack Snyder likes Cg and all but we don't need a CG cape XD

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:34 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1501197) wrote:At last. After 75 years, Superman figured out that undies go on the inside of the pants.

Also, to whoever said an all CGI superman would be awesome: If they got the artist who did the Deathly Hallows segment, I'd be all upons.

I actually laughed out loud at the first half of this post, and with the second half, I remembered that we are actually the same person. XDD I will be all over any movie that guy directs/animates/art directs/whatever. XD

Also, I am surprised that Superman has decided to wear a gray suit. Well, not surprised. But I think it's strange having it be more of a chromatic gray than the saturated blue that everyone's used to seeing. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Solid Ronin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:17 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1501246) wrote:I actually laughed out loud at the first half of this post, and with the second half, I remembered that we are actually the same person. XDD I will be all over any movie that guy directs/animates/art directs/whatever. XD

Also, I am surprised that Superman has decided to wear a gray suit. Well, not surprised. But I think it's strange having it be more of a chromatic gray than the saturated blue that everyone's used to seeing. XD

It is blue... but that you've said that only makes me not like the dark colors even more.

And the red trunks should never have left.

Not sure about those pictures i hope a lack of cape doesn't mean like a CG one. Zack Snyder likes Cg and all but we don't need a CG cape XD

Did you not see the picture that was mostly cape, or do you mean the ones wheres he's punching without it? I can deal with a CGI cape seeing as if they have any sense they'll only make it when something very big is happening.
Solid Ronin

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1501428) wrote:

Did you not see the picture that was mostly cape, or do you mean the ones wheres he's punching without it? I can deal with a CGI cape seeing as if they have any sense they'll only make it when something very big is happening.

Yes i mean the one's without the cape.

GrubbTheFragger

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1501428) wrote:It is blue... but that you've said that only makes me not like the dark colors even more.

Chromatic gray = a gray with a very bluish tint. Basically, bluish-gray. XD Which is what that suit is. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 pm

That suit is fugly. What's with all the weird metal junk around his hip area? Bring back the red underpants. Also whyyyyy is Superman gray? This is making me kind of pessimistic about this whole thing. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:24 am

Eh, I kind of like it... maybe a bit brighter colors but as it is, I'm fine. I'm glad they got rid of the red briefs too...

Seeing as it's a Snyder film, and all his films have this kind of washed out color look, I can understand the washed out suit. There's probably gonna be a lot of dark colors and stuff all around him at all times and a bright blue one would probably stand out too much.

I really don't care to be honest... never liked Superman anyway. I'll see it just to see what Snyder does with it visually (visually his films never disappoint). But anyway...
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Wolf-man » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:01 am

I don't see the gray...at all. All I see is a little bit of a darker blue. The main reason that his costume looks like this is because this is what is going to look like in the mainstream comics from now on because DC isn't allowed to have the classic costume look on account of the lawsuit from the Siegel family. I really like the suit. I think it looks a heck of a lot better than the Superman Returns suit which sucked. About the cape; I don't think it will be CGI I just think that he may loose it in battle. I mean that would be kind of weird to have a bunch of scenes with a real cape and then all of a sudden a CGI cape appear. The biggest thing that I am still worried about (aside from the casting of Perry White) is how his flying will look. The flying in Superman Returns was pretty bad mostly because it was all CGI and looked really fake. As someone said on another forum "I want to believe a man can fly!" So I really hope they will use a mix of CGI and wire/cable work for the flight.
Wolf-man

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am

I'd guess that the cape will be CGI, much like Night Owl's in certain scenes of Watchmen. It's such a well done effect that I can't imagine them not using it again.

Cognitive Gear

Next

Return to General Entertainment