Time: Top 20 Worst Summer Blockbusters

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Avatar: very derivative with a lazy plot, but definitely not the worst movie ever made.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:55 pm

I'm with Nette, Avatar was extremely visually impressive, and while the plot was dull and derivative, it wasn't terrible, it's just that it had been done before. It told the story competently enough and the acting wasn't terrible.

Which is more than can be said of something like say, Transformers.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:33 pm

Wow, I've seen only three movies on that list... I love Star Wars, yet I know it was some very big flaws, but... Worse than The Last Airbender? But like someone said, it was one of the most disappointing movies.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:26 am

How was Pearl Harbor insensitive to the Japanese? I mean the movie sucked yes, but... I mean, it's pearl harbor, the Japanese didn't exactly come to rescue them, lol.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:39 am

Pearl Harbour wasn't insensitive to Japanese, so much as totally ignorant of real history.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bakura91 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Replace Green Lantern with Eragon and that list is absolutely correct. Wait Battlefield Earth shouldnt be on there! That was an excellent Comedy!
bakura91

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:55 pm

Eragon wasn't just bad, it was horrendous. Not only that, it completely destroyed the chance of a movie adaptation of Eldest ever being made as it destroyed a major plot point of the second book in the first movie.

I think the Avatar hate is more of a hype backlash than anything else. It's a typical James Cameron movie, not very subtle, simplistic plot, but fantastic visuals.
Yamamaya

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1493851) wrote:Eragon wasn't just bad, it was horrendous. Not only that, it completely destroyed the chance of a movie adaptation of Eldest ever being made as it destroyed a major plot point of the second book in the first movie.

I think the Avatar hate is more of a hype backlash than anything else. It's a typical James Cameron movie, not very subtle, simplistic plot, but fantastic visuals.

It's funny, I'm looking forward to Avatar 2, based solely on the fact that his best movies are sequels. (Aliens and Terminator 2) Somehow his writing, despite still having poor dialogue, is better suited to sequels.

We'll see, though. There's still a chance that he can become the new George Lucas.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1493851) wrote: Not only that, it completely destroyed the chance of a movie adaptation of Eldest ever being made as it destroyed a major plot point of the second book in the first movie.
You make that sound like a bad thing.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby bakura91 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:16 pm

I Know this is gonna sound REALLY strange but Battlefield Earth is actually a really good Scifi novel (it took me a whole summer to read cuz its Ridiculously long) But I Loved the book but the movie did EVERYTHING Wrong! When me and my best friend rented the movie we Laughed So hard though! But then after I ranted at him for like an hour explaining in extremely nerdy detail about how much better the book was in EVERY little detail they got wrong or changed that made the movie suck lol

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1493854) wrote:You make that sound like a bad thing.

Man that book and movie borrowed SO much from Star Wars in plot points that when the movie was over I thought I'd see George Lucas get a writing credit lol
bakura91

Postby Rocketshipper » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Yeah, I think this list is kinda BS in a lot of its choices, although I will admit to not having seen all the movies. I'd like to know what their criteria (if any) was for choosing these movies, because there is no way I can fathom how Episode 1 is #2 on the list, and how it managed to get lower than some of those other movies. Battlefield Earth may be the worst reviewed film on the list (2% critic and 14% audience on Rotten Tomatoes) so why isn't it number 1? Episode 1 has around 60% for both. And Revenge of the Fallen as number 1 just seems to me to be more of a choice made out of spite, than really honestly saying its the worst blockbuster ever. Is it really worse than Catwoman, lol? (although I actually liked Catwoamn so maybe I shouldn;t say anything...) Kinda surprised none of the Pirates sequals are on the list, it sometimes seems they get as much hate as Star Wars Prequals or the Matrix sequals. which brings up...were the Matrix sequals just not "summer blockbusters" and thats why they didn't make it? What about Jurassic Park 3? That certainly was a mediocre sequal.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Rewin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Because of this thread I really want to watch Battlefield: Earth now. I wonder if it's on netflix....
Mmmmmm, bacon.....
Rewin

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 pm

[quote="Rocketshipper (post: 1494651)"]Yeah, I think this list is kinda BS in a lot of its choices, although I will admit to not having seen all the movies. I'd like to know what their criteria (if any) was for choosing these movies, because there is no way I can fathom how Episode 1 is #2 on the list, and how it managed to get lower than some of those other movies. Battlefield Earth may be the worst reviewed film on the list (2% critic and 14% audience on Rotten Tomatoes) so why isn't it number 1? Episode 1 has around 60% for both. And Revenge of the Fallen as number 1 just seems to me to be more of a choice made out of spite, than really honestly saying its the worst blockbuster ever. Is it really worse than Catwoman, lol? (although I actually liked Catwoamn so maybe I shouldn]

Honestly, The Matrix's sequels were poor sequels to The Matrix, but compared to the Transformers trilogy they were absolutely Shakespearean. I find that all of the movies on this list are pretty aggressively bad, outside of one or two outliers.

Now, just because a movie is bad doesn't mean that you can't like it. I for one like V for Vendetta, despite it being a horrible mess and butchering of it's own themes and characters. I also remember enjoying the 1998 Godzilla when I saw it in 1999.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby bakura91 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:34 am

Rewin (post: 1494660) wrote:Because of this thread I really want to watch Battlefield: Earth now. I wonder if it's on netflix....

Do it! It is Hilarious I even own the DVD. But (and it feels weird defending something written by L. Ron Hubbard) the book is actually WAY Better! Although I'm Completly AGAINST Scientology, Dianetics etc. I'm a big Science fiction reader and L. Ron Hubbards Scifi stories are very entertaining but I think would be better adapted as comic books or something. Theres no real good way to adapt a 1000 page scifi to film, especially when the movie has the most Rediculous over the top Batman and Robin style acting, and scenes that seem like they were written by an 8 year old.
bakura91

Postby armeck » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:03 am

i liked starwars episode 1 and transformer dark side of the moon.. there was one or two others on that list that i liked.
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Yuki-Anne » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:42 pm

In my opinion, The Last Airbender was much, MUCH worse than both Eragon and Star Wars: Episode 1. Eragon was atrocious, though, and I hadn't even read the book yet when I watched it. And I know Eragon gets a lot of flack for borrowing plot points from Star Wars, but it's not like Star Wars was the most original movie ever anyway. Writers borrow from and are inspired by other writers. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as they don't out and out steal.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Yes, Star Wars wasn't the most original movie ever, that's true. What Paolini wrote wasn't just inspired by Tolkien and Star Wars but carbon-copied the series in a rip-off Tolkien world. I don't use the word 'rip-off' lightly. That said, Terry Brooks - The Sword of Shannara is even more of a LotR's rip-off.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Juliannesan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:13 am

I haven't seen a lot of the movies on this list, but I wholeheartedly agree with the Transformers movies, except that I would add all of them to that list.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:12 am

Am I the only person in the world who actually likes the Transformers movies? I feel like a heathen. :sweat:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:15 am

^ i liked the first and third one

Time's lists are kinda fail, not as laughably bad the Animated movie but seriously Howard the duck is not better than Green Lantern. Green Lantern wasn't very good but it wasn't THAT bad.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Atria35 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:23 am

TopazRaven (post: 1500921) wrote:Am I the only person in the world who actually likes the Transformers movies? I feel like a heathen. :sweat:

I lked the first one, but haven't seen the others.
Atria35

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:05 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1500921) wrote:Am I the only person in the world who actually likes the Transformers movies? I feel like a heathen. :sweat:

I liked the first one, even with its issues. The Transformers themselves save it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:59 pm

Transformers movies were...okay to watch in the theatre for the spectacle. But they're not great cinema by any stretch of the imagination.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Maledicte » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:09 pm

I think Eragon would have made the list if it hadn't been released during the winter.

And I liked Waterworld. Mostly because of fondness for the Universal Studios stunt show.
Maledicte

Postby Neane » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:28 pm

Stealth = Terrible.

Also, Waterworld is a good movie. How is it worse than Stealth?
Neane

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:28 pm

Lol, I didn't catch that Stealth was on here. I find it entertaining. Stupid, but entertaining.

I think Stealth is a better movie just by virtue of having Josh Lucas and not Kevin Costner.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:58 pm

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]I would like to add "Battle: Los Angeles" to that list. I mean, I don't care if some of it was filmed in my hometown, the movie still sucked. I mean, if I want a military movie with aliens, I'll watch "Independence Day". [/color][/SIZE][/font]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:55 am

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1501206) wrote:[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]I would like to add "Battle: Los Angeles" to that list. I mean, I don't care if some of it was filmed in my hometown, the movie still sucked. I mean, if I want a military movie with aliens, I'll watch "Independence Day". [/color][/SIZE][/font]

eh, didn't find it that bad. It was mediocre at best but still better than that other alien crapfest Skyline
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby ST. Attidude » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:39 am

KhakiBlueSocks (post: 1501206) wrote:[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]I would like to add "Battle: Los Angeles" to that list. I mean, I don't care if some of it was filmed in my hometown, the movie still sucked. I mean, if I want a military movie with aliens, I'll watch "Independence Day". [/color][/SIZE][/font]

The cover to Battle:LA looks like a kindergartner made it with photoshop :lol:

Transformers and Star Wars ep. 2 stunk pretty bad.
I'm sure that SWep.2 didn't make the list because of the Yoda fight :lol:
ST. Attidude

Postby Mister Frodo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:07 pm

I guess Episode I is so high up on the list because it was such a disappointment? I mean, you did have a huge amount of hype leading to the film, which, well, didn't quite live up to it the hype, to put it lightly. XD Though I like the prequels, despite their flaws, and I remember liking the 1998 Godzilla film when I was a kid. I'm curious why The Last Airbender isn't higher up; didn't almost everyone hate that movie?

Also, Avatar wasn't released in the summer, so that may be another factor why it isn't on the list, though it could also be because it seems the popular opinion of it is it's not a bad film. Haven't seen it myself, though, so I'm just going off what I've heard.
Mister Frodo

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment