Captain America: The First Avenger

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Captain America: The First Avenger

Postby Sammy Boy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:02 am

Is anyone looking forward to this?

With film ticket prices being so prohibitive in Australia, I will probably just wait for the DVD release. Buying it is cheaper than paying for two tickets.
Sammy Boy

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 pm

I can't wait for it, i will be seeing it.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:16 am

I'm really looking forward to it. Captain America is implausibly a favourite of many non-Americans. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 am

I'm probably going to see this with my father whenever it comes out. We love superhero movies. xD It looks pretty darn awesome any other way though.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Wolf-man » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 am

Comes out tomorrow! So excited!!! I have been waiting for this a while now. I can't wait!
Wolf-man

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Saw it today. Now that was a fantastic super hero movie!

My only complaint was Hugo Weaving's fake German accent and the overuse of slow motion scenes.

Other than that, it was pretty epic.

I shall have to write a review. :grin:
Yamamaya

Postby Solid Ronin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:07 pm

This isn't the perfect movie, but it felt like it.
Solid Ronin

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:19 am

So I saw it today, and thought it was great.

Funny coincidence, I was at the place they filmed the press conference Cap missed, the day they filmed it. Probably looked at that set for 5-10 minutes from a bunch of different angles, but they wouldn't tell us what they were shooting.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Edward » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:13 pm

I just saw it today, and I really liked it. Like Yamamama, I thought slow motion scenes were a bit overused. It was cool for the first couple of scenes, but it got annoying after a while. But other than that, I really liked it, and I would love to see the Avengers movie next year too.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Going to see it soon. Heard it's great movie on Rotten Tomatoes.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Souba » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:35 pm

[color="RoyalBlue"]I saw Capt America at the midnight showing in 3D, and I really liked the movie a lot! It just feels like a great action movie with a lot of heart! I didn't get Steve Rodgers from the comics so Bucky Barnes as the new Capt made me get at least Buck's take on him but this movie made me really really like Steve Rogers! ^^
Anyway, I stayed for the "secret ending" and now I'm stoked for The Avengers next May!
Beloved in Grace,
Souba[/color]
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:08 am

It was really awesome, had some heavy emotion and good humor.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:41 am

My love for this movie shall be eternal.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby airichan623 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:05 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1492199) wrote:My only complaint was Hugo Weaving's fake German accent and the overuse of slow motion scenes.

Yeah....that accent was horrible. He needed to work with a language tutor.
Edward (post: 1492975) wrote: Like Yamamama,

pfft. LOL :grin::lol: Yamamama the Obama llama?
Edward (post: 1492975) wrote: I thought slow motion scenes were a bit overused. It was cool for the first couple of scenes, but it got annoying after a while. But other than that, I really liked it, and I would love to see the Avengers movie next year too.

Ok back on topic... those slo-mo scenes are especially annoying when you're watching it in 2D. :shake: Other than that though, as far as superhero movies go, I really like this one. Steve Rogers is by far one of my favorite underdog heroes- he's not a nerd or anything, just a wimp. And that's what makes him so endearing. :) And the female lead was awesome- best moment: punching the recruited guy at the beginning.

Did anyone else catch Schmitt's Raiders of the Lost Ark jabbing joke near the beginning of the movie? "The Fuhrer's off looking for treasures in the desert, and here we are in Norway." xD

My biggest pet peeve with this movie though was one glaring historical inaccuracy:

Captain America's little group from the 108th was too interracial to be even close to a real 1940's platoon. Hate to say it, but the American army was racist back then- Asians had their platoon, and African-Americans had their platoons-they didn't mix. [Not being racist, just stating historical fact.]
They could have cleared it up with just one line, possibly about how they were also German prisoners separated from their platoons. :rant: Ok rant over.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby mkalv » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:31 pm

I saw it and I loved it. If you are an American, you just can't hate this.

However, I found the villain to be a little too weak. Red Skull just isn't a real threat.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby Solid Ronin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:20 pm

mkalv (post: 1498397) wrote:I saw it and I loved it. If you are an American, you just can't hate this.

However, I found the villain to be a little too weak. Red Skull just isn't a real threat.

The dude had the power to wipe out every capital in the world, what would he have to do to convince you?
Solid Ronin

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Solid Ronin (post: 1498420) wrote:The dude had the power to wipe out every capital in the world, what would he have to do to convince you?

Exactly. If Captain America had never gotten involved, he would have very easily conquered the world.

airichan623 (post: 1497090) wrote:Yeah....that accent was horrible. He needed to work with a language tutor.

pfft. LOL :grin::lol: Yamamama the Obama llama?

Yes, fake accents if not done properly can be very narmy.
It took me a while to notice the mispelling.

airichan623 (post: 1497090) wrote:Ok back on topic... those slo-mo scenes are especially annoying when you're watching it in 2D. :shake: Other than that though, as far as superhero movies go, I really like this one. Steve Rogers is by far one of my favorite underdog heroes- he's not a nerd or anything, just a wimp. And that's what makes him so endearing. :) And the female lead was awesome- best moment: punching the recruited guy at the beginning.

Slow-mo is terribly overdone and seems to have become a dead horse. It would have been okay if there had only been a few, but there were way too many in this film.

Yeah, Steve Rogers was a great character. He was sort of a 1940s Peter Parker without the SCIENCE smarts.

airichan623 (post: 1497090) wrote:My biggest pet peeve with this movie though was one glaring historical inaccuracy:

Captain America's little group from the 108th was too interracial to be even close to a real 1940's platoon. Hate to say it, but the American army was racist back then- Asians had their platoon, and African-Americans had their platoons-they didn't mix. [Not being racist, just stating historical fact.]
They could have cleared it up with just one line, possibly about how they were also German prisoners separated from their platoons. :rant: Ok rant over.

Yup, that was just thrown in to make a multiracial team. To be fair, there was some integration near the end of the war out of neccesity, but for the most part, the units were segregated.

Also, a Japanese American would NOT be fighting as a soldier since the U.S. put every Japanese-American into internment camps and likely wouldn't have trusted any Japanese people who avoided internment in the first place.
Yamamaya

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:23 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1498440) wrote:Also, a Japanese American would NOT be fighting as a soldier since the U.S. put every Japanese-American into internment camps and likely wouldn't have trusted any Japanese people who avoided internment in the first place.

Actually that's not true. There was a Japanese-American fighting force in WWII. It was the 442nd Regimental Combat Team.

TopazRaven

Postby Wolf-man » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Ok first of all I have to clear something up.
The Howling Commandos (which were the multiracial group that worked with Cap) were not some kind of politically correct thing. They were not made up for the movie in order to have a multiracial cast. They are actually in the comics and are a part of the Captain America lore. Unfortunately the original Howling Commandos included James Howlett a.k.a. Wolverine. Obviously they couldn't include him due to the fact that media rights to Wolverine are owned by Fox. So yeah just wanted to clear that up. Also thank you TopazRaven for getting history correct.:thumb:

Also just to say something about my favorite movie of 2011. This movie was fantastic. I have long awaited for something to surpass Iron Man and this has done it. This movie made any fears I had for Avengers disappear. I disagree about the Red Skull's accent. I honestly think that it was really well done. At first it seemed a little weak but Hugo Weaving's performance was so amazing that either it got better or he just once again he showed how much of an amazing actor he is that the mediocre accent did not matter. This movie actually had me wanting to see it again as soon as the credits rolled. I think that has only happened to me twice before. Recommend this movie to everyone!
Wolf-man

Postby TopazRaven » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:25 pm

No problem. xD I read up about the 442nd awhile ago and was very much inspired by the bravery of said men.

TopazRaven

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:07 pm

TopazRaven (post: 1498447) wrote:Actually that's not true. There was a Japanese-American fighting force in WWII. It was the 442nd Regimental Combat Team.

Okay I stand corrected.

There was another project the military had with the Japanese. Certain men were taken to an island. The military then trained their dogs to hate these men and hunt them down. The idea was to train dogs to be able to pick up on the presence of Japanese soldiers.

Naturally it failed, because different races don't have different scents.
Yamamaya

Postby Edward » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 am

Edward (post: 1492975) wrote:Yamamama

:bang::hits_self:lol:

Yamamaya (post: 1498484) wrote:Okay I stand corrected.

There was another project the military had with the Japanese. Certain men were taken to an island. The military then trained their dogs to hate these men and hunt them down. The idea was to train dogs to be able to pick up on the presence of Japanese soldiers.

Naturally it failed, because different races don't have different scents.

There's actually a historical fiction book I've read about that. Eyes of the Emperor by Graham Salisbury. It's pretty good, from what I remember.
Edward

Return to General Entertainment