The Thing (2011 Prequel)

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

The Thing (2011 Prequel)

Postby Tarnish » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:02 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/

Goody goody. They're making a prequel to a remake that was made thirty years ago. And they've added a romantic subplot. And it's directed by a guy who's only done commercials. And it has THE EXACT SAME NAME AS THE MOVIE IT IS SUPPOSED TO PREDATE. And oh, awesome, one of the screenwriters penned that terrible Nightmare on Elm Street remake and Final Destination 5.

The Thing is one of my favorite movies of all time. I don't feel so good right now.
Tarnish

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:07 pm

The Thing is is one of my favorite movies, and is probably my favorite horror film.

This looks like they made a prequel that is as generic as modern monster movies get. It's sad, because the number of ways to create suspense and terror with that creature are nearly limitless.

EDIT: Just because I was curious, I looked up the trailer for the 1982 version.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:14 pm

I enjoyed The Thing. The acting wasn't great, the story was minimal but the scares were there and the makeup and animatronics were exceptional and very clever (and I just saw the movie about a year ago). Was the original story it was based off any good? A reboot/remake/whatever is a stupid idea, especially considering the team they've put together.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Tarnish » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:16 pm

The original is really good, especially for the time, but the two are very different. This just looks like a rehash of the remake, only with boobies. And believe me, there WILL be boobies.
Tarnish

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:40 pm

John Carpenter's 1982 version is one of two films to scare the everloving crap out of me as an adult. But this...this just has "bad idea" written all over it.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:10 pm

The acting and visuals look good, judging by the trailer, but there's no doubt that it'll go for cheap scares and a blood-bath, rather than the slow-burn, psychological, creepy take on horror (like the original).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Return to General Entertainment