Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:26 pm

A teaser trailer for a film based on one of my favourite spy-novels is currently slated for an end of the year release (or September, depending on where you live). This movie is worth any film-lover's notice based soley on its cast alone, which consists of a who's who of British top actors: Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, Mark Strong, Ciarán Hinds, Benedict Cumberbatch and John Hurt. There should be a law against having so many good actors in a film.

Its the 1970s. British Secret Intelligence (MI6, known also by its code-name 'The Circus') has been infiltrated by a spy / mole who is passing information on agents and activities to Communist Russia. Retired spymaster George Smiley (Gary Oldman) is called in to help root out the agent, who may have been planted by his old nemesis, a KGB director known only by the code-name KARLA. But the suspects are not only close colleagues and friends, but some are tied to him personal ways.

Well, that's the synopsis of the book, in any case. For a book mostly set in and around London its odd to see Instanbul in there, but if the movie can keep the core themes of the book (which take a very very bleak view on spycraft in general and the grim paradoxes associated with it) then it should prove to be a good, thought-provoking movie. John Le Carré books are difficult to adapt because they tend to have complex emotional arcs that take place mostly in the heads and souls of the characters. They also tend to have very complicated, layered (if painstakingly logical) plots, which can bog a film down, like it did The Russia House.

Also, the film has previously been adapted in the 1970s by the BBC in an extremely well-made but painstakingly slow* miniseries starring Sir Alec 'Obi-Wan' Guiness. Guiness has had many good roles on film but his turn as George Smiley is possibly his best performance (in my opinion), so Oldman has terrifyingly large shoes to fill. Also KARLA was played by a very young but very bald Patrick Stewart who manages to have a small but memorable performance without saying a word.

* The reason I'm calling it slow is not because I hate things that are slow in general; I just think they could have easily truncated some of the material towards the end instead of trying to fit in as much of the book's plot as possible. As I said, the complex plot can bog things down.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:30 pm

This looks awesome.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:31 pm

New Trailer. I barely recognize some of the actors - that's a good thing.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Can't stand the era but that's quite a cast and the trailer was great. Thanks for sharing J!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Currently the movie is generating a great deal of 'award buzz' among those who saw it. It would be interesting to see if this movie can become this year's 'big' award film.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 pm

I've been hearing a lot of excitement about this movie for the last few weeks now, and I can absolutely see why. XD Based on cast alone, I'm pretty stoked to see it. I haven't ever heard of the source material before, but it sounds pretty intriguing. Honestly though, all I had to hear was "Benedict Cumberbatch" and "Gary Oldman" in the same sentence to get interested in this one. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby ich1990 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 pm

I have my eye on this one. John le Carre is a masterful writer, and The Spy Who Came in From the Cold was a superb film. This film has a lot of good history behind it.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm not sure how I missed this thread back in July... but this movie has a lot going for it. Almost too much, I want to be skeptical but can't be.

Anyways, definitely excited to see this as soon as I can. I hadn't heard of the book series prior to this, but Johnnie has good taste, so I will probably have to check it out.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby GeneD » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:03 am

Benedict Cumberbatch with blonde hair. o_O

It does look very interesting though, so will definitely keep an eye out for it.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Sheol777 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:35 am

I am double curious to see this because the character Elim Garak from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was based off this book.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:52 am

And in other news, author of the book says that the book and movie are very different and he's more than okay with that. Since Le Carré is not known to gush about film versions of his books (he's been very open about his disappointment on the film version of The Spy who Came in From the Cold, even appearing in a Criterion DVD extra stating just that) I consider this a good sign.

“The film, through my very personal prism, is a triumph,” says the author (real name David Cornwell),

On the relationship between the book and film he says: “It’s not the film of the book. It’s the film of the film, and to my eye a work of art in its own right. I’m very proud to have provided Alfredson with the material, but what he made of it is wonderfully his own.”

As for comparison’s between Guinness and Gary Oldman in the role of Smiley, the author says: “if people write to me and say, ‘How could you let this happen to poor Alec Guinness,’ I shall reply that, if ‘poor Alec’ had witnessed Oldman’s performance, he would have been the first to give it a standing ovation.”

And in something vaguely related: in the follow-up miniseries to the original TTSP, Smiley's People, there is a small first-time appearance by some who guy who apparently had a role in Harry Potter.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Yuki-Anne » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 pm

Oooh... I really like that the author likes it. It looks pretty intense...
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Update: The movie was released this weekend in England; US release is slated for December.

Most major British film critics are going insane for the film.

Empire Magazine wrote:It was certainly a brave undertaking, tackling what is not only one of the greatest espionage novels ever, but one whose 1979 serialisation by the BBC lingers in the memory of everyone of a certain age. It’s a pleasure and a relief, then, that the film succeeds in its own right. It is a superior whodunnit thriller and a very grown-up one, devoted not to guns, girls, gadgets and glamour, but to the little grey cells. And in plumbing George Smiley’s grey matter, Gary Oldman has understood the illusion of being a nondescript sort of little man with a remarkable mind, authority and a gut full of secret sorrows and sins behind the serious spectacles.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Agloval » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:00 am

If I can spare the cash for a ticket I might go and see it in the next week or so.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Welcome back from holiday. Let me know what you think. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby Agloval » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:12 am

I saw the film this afternoon. I certainly enjoyed it, it's a very taut thriller. It felt a bit top-heavy to me, but I think that's quite possibly because I'm not used to watching films which contain this much information, not always obviously signposted.

Anyway, would recommend to anyone who enjoys quiet grey-and-brown spy movies about unpleasant people.

(Disclosure: I haven't read the book -- the only Le Carré I've read is The Looking Glass War, which I thought was a fine downbeat plot in unexceptional prose.)
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:29 am

Agloval (post: 1507047) wrote:(Disclosure: I haven't read the book -- the only Le Carré I've read is The Looking Glass War, which I thought was a fine downbeat plot in unexceptional prose.)

I'd agree with that. It was meant to be the most level-headed, realistic depiction of the spygame, so arguably its a bit much. But it was written early in his career and his later novels, like TTSP and its two sequels, as well as The Mission Song are better on the whole. Still very top-heavy, though.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Return to General Entertainment