Sports Injuries

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Sports Injuries

Postby Ashley » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:31 pm

Alright, everyone's got some...let's hear 'em.

I'll start us off.

Tennis ball to the eye--resulted in a nasty swollen cheek.
Tennis ball to the head--nearly blacked out. This stinked because it was the final round of a championship match and we (my partner and I) never really recovered. -__-'
Broken right arm--motorcycle accident in 6th grade
Torn left ACL ligament--got tackled wrong in the powderpuff practices last year
Torn ligament in left ankle--went to whack a tennis ball and ended up making my knee kiss my butt while my foot stayed forward. Ripped apart that ligament pretty good.
Multiple tennis sprains to right ankle too.

Whew...I'm one beat up little Texan. Anyone else got some good injuries?
Ashley

Postby Locke » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:46 pm

does trying to jump over a two feet gap and hooking your foot and falling to the sweet sweet pine-wood on my face while my tendon snapped count?
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:54 pm

In middle school, I broke my left arm one year, then my right arm the next year. The broken right arm was a sport injury. Some (physically bigger) brute decided that knocking people down during a soccer game was amusing, and whoever got the ball got decked. Well, I got the ball, and I got decked and my body fell on top of my right arm, and there was a very loud snap. A few weeks later, I was walking down the hall in between classes and this same brute came up to me and claimed he did not injure me.... Yeah, I never understood that.

I sprained my right ankle in a pickup basketball game during high school (right foot did not land evenly). However, it was not serious, and it healed with no surgery.

Finally, although Chinese martial arts is not a sport, around three years ago, I suffered a torn right ACL ligament and partially torn right meniscus from a sparring accident. Strangely, at the time of this injury, I felt no pain and I thought I really did not suffer anything serious. I almost continued practice. Later, I had knee reconstructive surgery and physical therapy, and now it is deemed healed and strong again.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby The Grammarian » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:35 pm

Never got involved with sports enough to have too many. My brother hit me with a driver (golf club) on the backswing once in South Carolina probably 15 years ago, which resulted in me being taken to the emergency room. (No stitches, though; just hurt like crazy.)

More recently (last year) I got nailed in the crotch with a racquetball racquet by my own teammate while playing doubles. I had to walk that one off. Hurt like crazy.
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby andyroo » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:45 pm

I can't say that I've had any injuries from sports or any injures ever except for one. A basketball once hit my pinkey finger right on the very tip. It was swollen for days.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Rachel » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:26 am

oh yeah, i've got this covered. now where to start...

once while i was playing football with the neighborhood kids (mostly high school boys) i got tackled and my left hip got slammed against my friend's dad's truck. it bruised the bone.

we were playing basketball in pe one day and i jumped to block this one dude's shot. he hit my ankle and i fell on my arm. i bruised both the muscle and the bone in my forearm not to mention almost broke my wrist again. how i broke my wrist doesn't involve sports so i won't say how i did that.

freshmen year in volleyball i had shin splints multiple times

freshmen year i had bursitis in both knees from running in volleyball

freshmen year in soccer i had two stress fractures, one in each leg

sophomore year in soccer i again had the multiple shin splints in both legs and also two more stress fractures in both legs

sophomore year in a soccer game i was fixin' to ( yeah i'm from texas i can say that ) clear the ball down field and this idiot girl on the other team kicked the back of my left knee right on the joint. the first time i went to the doctor he told me that i had bruised a nerve and i would be up and running in a week. the next time i went he said that if i rested it and put ice on it, it would be better in about a week. ha! all lies. here we are more than a year later and my knee has not gotten any better. it's actually gotten worse. ooh that reminds me of another one.

you know how when you're bowling and when you go to throw the ball your knee kind of twists? yeah well i was bowling one day and i went to throw the ball and when my knee did that twisty thing something kind of popped, only i thought it was my thumb cuz my thumb always pops when i bowl. anyways, after a couple more times of throwing the ball ( i know there must be some term for this but oh well ) my knee was hurting like crazy. it would hardly straighten out. and yeah this was after i hurt it playing soccer.

almost anything athletic will now make my knee hurt very badly. i just don't say that it hurts most of the time because i've actually gotten used to the pain so it doesn't really bother me anymore.

and now another one. a few years ago a friend and i were riding our bikes up and down this big ditch that was near our houses. my front tire hit this rock and i tried to correct but it didn't work. anyways i fell down and pulled the bike with me because like an idiot i didn't just let go. anyways that little spiky thing that the chain is on went straight into my left leg. it was pretty deep too. like about half an inch or so. but i do have a pretty cool scar now. ;)
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby cbwing0 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:39 am

I have only one really good injury, which I got while ice skating. It was my first time on the ice, and as expected I fell a few times. This wouldn't have been bad, except I wasn't wearing gloves. Some little kid came by, and ran over my right pinkie finger. It was split open (including the nail), and I had to get stitches.

Moral of the story: wear gloves when the you go ice skating. ;)
cbwing0

Postby shooraijin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:54 am

Flipped up my right kneecap when I collided with another player knee-to-knee in a basketball scrimmage in high school (ended my season). Avoided an ACL tear, but I did nail the medial meniscus, which they determined was not repairable, and my knee has never been the same since. The left ain't so hot either, but that's more a patellar maltracking syndrome.

Jammed and sprained multiple fingers.

Lots of minor ankle strains.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Inferno » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:02 am

cbwing0 wrote:I have only one really good injury, which I got while ice skating. It was my first time on the ice, and as expected I fell a few times. This wouldn't have been bad, except I wasn't wearing gloves. Some little kid came by, and ran over my right pinkie finger. It was split open (including the nail), and I had to get stitches.

[U]Moral of the story: wear gloves when the you go ice skating. ]

This is a good moral(if your smart:lol:) Hmmmmm....... a sports injury. I broke my arm playing football.
"rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Philippians 4:4

METAL!!! :rock:

Member of headbangers united! \m/ >,< \m/

Myspace.com/cal3bsp3ncer
Inferno

Postby Michael » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:06 pm

Dehydration from lack of water while performing vigorous competitive swimming.

Twisted elbow (not severe) from getting smacked by the ball there whilst playing catcher.

Cold feet from Tae Kwon Do.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Hitokiri » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:42 pm

lets see her

jammed my fingers thousands of times playing sports, her my leg once whil eplaying elementary soccer, several scratches (and scars :thumb: still have 'em) from skateboarding, her my hand pretty bad wrestling during a match, had a 250 pound kid fall on me during wrestling (it was cool, he was like "auugghhhh" as he fell and he was new to the sport and i have been playing it a yera and half so depsite his immense weight, i flipped him over an dpinned him. Now he's the starter for our wrestling team :lol: ), got hit hard a couple times while sword fighting (wood of course :eyeroll: ), got beat up fist fighting (jammed both of my thumbs a year ago and they are still kinda jammed), got hurt occassionally playing paint ball (with slingshots ).

Last but not least, a kid farted in my face during a wrestling match. Almost lost my lunch.
Hitokiri

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:29 pm

Well, I'm glad this is narrowed down to sport injuries only... ;)

Soccer: No pain no gain
In soccer, I'm always on defense or the goalie and it's street soccer. So, I like to exercise the tackle. I'm not going into any details, but my blue jeans were red jeans with added blood stains several dayz. I’ve been very blessed that I haven't broken' a bone.

Basketball: Jammed my finger and left a little bloody.

Baseball: I was whacked in the leg by a hardball.... that stung for a week.

Stake Boarding: I ran into a Stop-sign and split my stakeboard. It was funny until I realized I slashed my arm on the side of the road.
Link Antilles

Postby Locke » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:38 pm

oh yeah, i broke and is now bent, my middle finger in a very very amature block from my friends foot . but i won.

capuera beats karate anytime!
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Kisa » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:34 pm

-Knee torn open on school playground- too torn up to get stitches so had to wear a huge wrap on my leg for weeks
-Soccer sprained both ankles in conditioning. Major goose eggs on outside of each ankle. Hobbled around b/c couldn't use crutches(I mean which leg would you support on?)
-Soccer sprained elbow. Landed on fully extended elbow in a goalie save. Had to wear a sling all through final exams on my writing hand.
-Swimming and shoulders don't mix . . . enough said.
-Knee in every sport. Basketball hurt it initially then soccer and breaststroke in swimming and then twisted it in ice hockey. It is pretty much shot now.
-Many jammed thumbs in basketball.
-Many hurt wrists hiting on the lane ropes while swimming.
-Others can't remember, but yea . . .
The price we pay to play what we love! ^_^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Psycho Ann » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:01 am

Broke my collar bone twice in the same location at aikido (not quite a sport...).

Did something wrong to my left index finger during basketball (swollen for a week of so).

Brusies, sprains, twisted stuff, a few bleedings, soreness, from badminton, basketball, volley, soccer (don't remember, was too way back)...

Um... gee, I hardly get hurt during sports... but I DO have a bunch of injuries outside of sports... ^^;;

Man, the stuff you guys went through made me cringe XD
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Technomancer » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:05 am

I got a chipped tooth once from playing street hockey after getting hit in the face with a stick. I got hit a couple of other times too, one smashed the bridge of my glasses into my nose (which made for a nasty cut), another time I took a slapshot to my forehead (the stick, not the ball). That one did a number on me.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby kirakira » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:25 pm

Hmm...I've never gotten anything broken, and really don't have many injuries to brag about. Which is suprising, if you've ever seen how I play. ^^ I've gotten several scars from playing football and from fencing. I've gotten bloodied up quite a bit playing soccer (honestly, what did God give us elbows for if not to know into guys twice your size?) Yesterday, a bunch of us were playing soccer after school, and one guy kicked my ankle kinda hard. I bumped it in the night last night in my sleep and woke my mom up because I was screaming, it hurt so badly. ^^ Also in that game, one of my friends and I collided and both went sprawling. Turns out she had a bit of a concussion. :sweat:
Love wins.
kirakira

Postby Gypsy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:07 am

Well, we're quite the rough and tumble group, aren't we?

Big injuries:

Basketball = broken collarbone: If you're going to get into a one-on-one tussle with a 6'2" girl that's three times your general size, make sure you catch yourself correctly when you inevitably hit the floor. And I'm sure Psycho Ann will tell you how fun wearing those sling/harnesses are. (And Aikido is most certainly a sport!). My shoulder is still messed up and it makes lots of fun grinding, popping, and cracking noises when I move it.

Soccer = concussion and ruptured blood vessel in eye: Playing soccer in below freezing weather is not unheard of in Maine - however, the ball becomes much like a cement block in those temperatures. I wouldn't recommend heading the ball in those conditions ... ever. Not unless you like to black out, experience mild memory loss, have headaches for a week, and lastly, have you eye fill with blood from the inside. For two weeks I had to walk around with a "demon eye" and while some people thought having a blood-red eyeball was cool ... it freaked most people out.

Small injuries:

Soccer = sprained knee
Soccer = shin-splints
Soccer = three broken toes
Soccer = split lip and complimenting cleat welts on my face
Soccer = muscle dent(?) ... I guess ... I didn't know muscles dented and stayed that way, but I can stick my finger into a little cleat hole in my calf
Basketball = two broken fingers
Basketball = I have a lovely scar across my collarbone where some ... fellow female athlete tried to claw me to death. Heh, heh, I certainly let her know how much I appreciated it … I mean … vengeance is the Lord’s! 
Basketball=skinnless knees: let’s just say no one ever told me “you need to be more aggressive.â€
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby Enthralled » Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:06 pm

Hmm... I don't have much in the way of sports injuries.

3rd grade baseball, got hit in the shins various times from bad pitches and not paying attention.

Basketball in 4th grade someone 'passed' the ball to me, actually more like heaved the ball at me, and again I was paying attention and it smacked me in the back of the head. Got a pretty nasty headache from that, and a healthy dose of floor in the face.

Umm.. thats it for 'official' sports.
Unofficial Sport injuries...

Bike tag: various cuts and gashes in hands, knee's, shins, and feet... playing this game while speeding down a very steep rocky concrete road wearing no shoes, and diving off your bike into the person your trying to tag is very exhilerating.

Trip tag: bruised and cut shins

Bloody knuckels: various cuts and scars... anoybody else ever play this game with quarters and nickels.. well, actually any kind of coin? It was very good for passing the time in lunch or gym.

Pillow Fights: Got smacked in the back of the head because I was't paying attention and went head first into the corner of a countertop when I was about 10. Cracked my forehead open alittle bit. Anice portion of the wall had a pretty nice coat of red 'paint'.

War: got hit in the face with various sized dirt-bombs, wooden blocks and swords.. resulting in minor cuts and bruises. mostly for not paying attention...

Got hit in the face with a basketball while riding a bike. I then proceeded to fall off my bike at a fast pace into my friend that was riding next to me. That was an interesting accident. The fall was worse than the actual injury. Got a scrape on my elbow from that one...

Skateboarding: skating down a hill backwards while videotaping my friend, and ended up flying right into the side of a truck, cause I wasn't paying attention. I was alright, but my video camera got trashed. The truck ahh... needed some work after that too haha.

besides that, I've fallen out of trees and porches and whatnot. I've never had anything more than a deep cut, or a bruise. Never had stitches.
All praise and honor be to the Lord God of Israel!! My Redeemer!!
Enthralled

Postby Kisa » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:29 pm

Hehee, I love the battle scars stories! ^_^
I also had shin splints at times too and minor pulledmuscles and all too at many times, lol.
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Destroyer2000 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:49 pm

I was swordfighting with my friend (Well, not a sport, and it was more like polearm and club fighting.) I didn't recover from my swing fast enough because with my polearm, I had more momentum in it that he did in his club, so he came bounding around the weapon, and landed a blow on my head. He didn't mean to hit hard, but he did and I hit the road (Yes, we were fighting in the middle of the road infront of his house, though it was not very smart.) He asked me if I was alright, and I told him yeah, besides a headache. Well, I was a little ways past his house since it was getting dark, and I felt sweat coming down my face. I wiped it off and glanced at my hand. It was COMPLETELY red with blood. I turned around, and yelled, "Nevermind that!" I ran at him and held up my hand. I was laughing somewhat, and he turned around and said, "Mom, I killed him!" She thought he was joking, but she was my hand and freaked out. Lol...good times. It HURT, and my hair was matted to my head for quite a while. Head wounds bleed alot. Blood covered the entire side of my face, my neck, and was all over my chest as it was running down. My shirt was already blood, so I took it off and used it to mat the blood. Lol, it hurt, but is funny now.

Hm....broken bones still have me beaten. I got mad at mom, kicked a brick wall, and I think I broke my toe...although my other one looks exactly like it, and is just as crooked, so I'm not sure. I wrecked a go kart and it broke my nose when I hit the unpadded metal on the steering wheel. Other than that, nothing. Wait....I was playing frisby with a friend after getting back from Panama City, Florida, and when I jumped to catch the frisby, I landed on a rusty tamato cage and split my leg open. I SAW the piece of skin and meat go flying, and it was all the way down to the bone, but there's not much meat on your shin, so...I thought it was ironic later on how I got 7 stiches when I was 7 years old...
My Flickr
My Travel Blog

[color="Red"]Distance is to Love as Wind is to Fire...it extinguishes the small, and ignites the great. - Unknown[/color]

[color="RoyalBlue"]“Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it.â€
Destroyer2000

Postby Enthralled » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:25 pm

Haha! A tomato cage got ya huh?
Your sword story reminds me of when me and a friend of mine used to sword fight all around his neighborhood. I never got smacked in the head with a club though.
All praise and honor be to the Lord God of Israel!! My Redeemer!!
Enthralled

Postby Icarus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:18 pm

Scars are a testament to a life lived.

The following is the official excuse for my eccentricities.

All that I can think of is the time that my older brother hit me with a baseball bat. I was playing as the catcher, and for some reason, I decided that I wanted to stand about two feet closer to the pitcher. They tried to argue me out of it, but I can be quite stubborn. Eventually, Aaron told them to just pitch the ball, and if I got hit, it would be my own fault.

Here's the pitch...
He swings...
And connects!
Why is the ball behind the plate?!

He hit me on the left side of my head. A few inches lower, and I'd probably be dead.

One interesting thing that I discovered because of this, is that when you really feel like crying, but you stifle it instead, your chin quivers.

Besides that, there is the usual assortment of jammed fingers from volleyball, and a biit of removed skin from gettin too close to the fence while playing tennis
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Return to General Entertainment