True Grit (Coen bros, Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon)

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

True Grit (Coen bros, Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon)

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:43 pm

The trailer for the latest Coen brothers film is here!

I have a difficult time with westerns, as I really have only really enjoyed two so far. I'm going to give this a shot anyways. The Coen borthers' work is always worth the price of admission.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 pm

I want to see it, but it will be hard to say if it will be just as good as the 1969 version of the movie.

That movie had a great cast with, John Wayne, Glen Campbell, Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper. It was the only Oscar that John Wayne won.

But I do think that Jeff Bridges is a good choice and should do well in the part. I have to be fair and say that I'm not the biggest fan of Coen bros.

As I hated No Country For Old Men and Fargo. Where I like O Brother, Where Art Thou? I have to read more news and see more trailers for this movie.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 pm

No! No!!! NONONONO! NO! NO!

You did not do this, Coen Brothers. You did not do this! Stop it! Stop it right now!

You made me cry, Joe... Ethan... I hope you're happy. I'm not sending you a Christmas Card. YES. I know you're releasing it on Christmas SHUT UP OR YOU'RE OUT OF THE WILL.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby TWWK » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:22 am

I'm pretty much with our state alchemist on this one regarding both Bridges and his taste in Coen movies.

True Grit was one of my favorites as a kid (although the girl in this movie looks like she can act circlse around Kim Darby, who practically ruins the original film). That may stand as John Wayne's iconic role, which is really saying something.

This film, though, looks really good. I've been looking forward to it and I'm really excited. I don't think there's a better selection than Jeff Bridges.

CG, if you're looking to get into the western genre, besides the older classics, I would say try Unforgiven. It is a POWERFUL movie, and one that won Clint Eastwood Best Director and Best Movie at the Oscars. Eastwood decided that it would be his last western, and it's one for the ages.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:23 pm

I loved FARGO, but just about every Coen movie disappointed me in some way, so I wary about it. I haven't seen the original, though.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:57 pm

TWWK wrote:(although the girl in this movie looks like she can act circlse around Kim Darby, who practically ruins the original film).

True to that. If John Wayne had it his way, Karen Carpenter would have played the part of Mattie. The producers went with Kim Darby, who had acting experience][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby TWWK » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Karen Carpenter was supposed to be in it?! Oh my goodness...that would've been really nice, and almost certainly an upgrade. I have trouble sitting through True Grit b/c of her acting...now Rooster Cogburn and the Lady, I'm up for watching that anytime.

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:27 pm

A little trivia about the old movie.

John Wayne had initially promised the role of Mattie Ross to his daughter Aissa Wayne, but director Henry Hathaway refused to cast her.

Mia Farrow, among other well-known actresses, was approached to play Mattie, but she turned it down. Robert Mitchum had told her that Henry Hathaway was impossible to work with. She later said it was one of the biggest professional mistakes of her career.

Tuesday Weld turned down the role of Mattie. Sally Field was also up for the part of Mattie Ross. Sondra Locke was considered for the role of Mattie Ross. She read the script but wanted to do avoid type-casting.

Elvis Presley was considered for the role of La Boeuf, the Texas Ranger. However, his manager "Colonel" Tom Parker insisted that Presley should receive top billing, so the part was given to Glen Campbell instead.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:04 pm

Gravedigging is my favorite!

So I saw this just this evening, and I have to say, all of the worries that it wouldn't be good because it's a "remake" got totally thrown out of the window. XD It was a fantastic movie with excellent dialogue, acting (Jeff Bridges plays the best crazy drunk man XD), characters, cinematography, the whole nine yards. I want to especially note the dialogue, because oh gosh I loved it so much. XD Also, according to my brother, this version was truer to the book than the original film was. So that's cool!

Anyways, has anyone else seen it yet? If so, how did you love it?
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby TWWK » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:22 am

I read that the Coen Brothers actually stuck very close to the novel, using a lot of it's dialogue word for word, which is perhaps why you enjoyed it so much.

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

TWWK

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:14 pm

I LOVED True Grit. Oh man. As much as a contender Black Swan is, my money goes on True Grit. I LOVED it.

Although my favorite Coen Brothers movie is definitely No Country for Old Men. While that and Black Swan were both beautiful in their complexity on the human condition, True Grit was beautiful for its simplicity.

The cinematography, writing, and acting were all beautiful. Mad props to the Coen Brothers.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1427548) wrote:True to that. If John Wayne had it his way, Karen Carpenter would have played the part of Mattie.

I would've loved to see that happen.

I really want to see both this new version and the old one.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Although my favorite Coen Brothers movie is definitely No Country for Old Men

All I can think of is that one Rifftrax short "Why Doesn't Cathy Eat Breakfast?"

"No Country for Old Men had more closure than this!"

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:35 pm

TWWK (post: 1447044) wrote:I read that the Coen Brothers actually stuck very close to the novel, using a lot of it's dialogue word for word, which is perhaps why you enjoyed it so much.

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Yeah, actually; I've read a few interviews about this movie, and it actually wasn't intended to be a remake, but an adaptation of the novel that happened to be adapted once before. XD I guess that was just largely misunderstood, since the John Wayne movie is so well-known. At this point, I'm not so much interested in seeing the John Wayne film as I am reading the novel it was based on. XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 pm

I'll have to see it now. If I can get past Jeff Bridges.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Awesome movie, a true western in the best sense of the word.

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1449233) wrote:I'll have to see it now. If I can get past Jeff Bridges.

I don't know what you have against Jeff Bridges, but he played his part perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better performance.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:17 pm

ich1990 (post: 1449676) wrote:I don't know what you have against Jeff Bridges, but he played his part perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better performance.

Agreed, so much. I loved him in that role. XD Honestly, everyone performed really well, but you just can't get a better actor to play a crazy drunk man than Jeff Bridges. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:39 am

In general, I don't like the way he speaks XD I hope to like the movie when I can see it.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:28 am

I'm curious about this one, for sure. I saw the original last night with The Duke and it was a good story. And since they went for the PG-13 rating, that probably means it won't be a gore fest, in keeping with the original.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to General Entertainment