Doctor Who Fans?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Twister980 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:49 am

[spoiler] They could have turned it into a two parter, the first part setting up the cubes, and dealing with the whole 'Doctor Wants to stick around' subplot. Then the second part would deal more with an actual threat, the invasion would involve putting people into comas so they can use their bodies, either like Prison Zero, or actually using their bodies. That would have worked way better in my opinion. [/spoiler]
Image Image "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Twister980

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Nobody else has commented so maybe it's just me, but has it been a "meh" season so far? I mean, I'm thrilled to have Doctor Who every Saturday again, and I'm entertained while I'm watching, but this season feels weaker to me. :/
Twister980 (post: 1590256) wrote:[spoiler] They could have turned it into a two parter, the first part setting up the cubes, and dealing with the whole 'Doctor Wants to stick around' subplot. Then the second part would deal more with an actual threat, the invasion would involve putting people into comas so they can use their bodies, either like Prison Zero, or actually using their bodies. That would have worked way better in my opinion. [/spoiler]

I... I dunno...
[spoiler]I really don't think giving a story more time automatically makes it easier to tell right. When you get to write one episode, you have that one episode to tell the best story you can, and it's your own responsibility to make that story work in the time allotted. More time =/= a better telling of a similar story.

I really think this episode could've worked better, but that the problems are more about where the focus landed (and where they went for conflict) than the time limit. [/spoiler]

But criticisms aside GUYS WEEPING ANGELS NEXT WEEK YEAAAAHH 8D
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:47 pm

The next episode is going to be good. I think. I hope. I bet it'll be scary.

Btdubs, Steven Moffat only wrote Asylum of the Daleks and The Angels Take Manhattan this season. That explains the shaky quality of the other episodes. I'm not saying Moffat is THE BEST WRITER EVER OMG but he's more interesting and consistent than what they've been churning out this season. I really miss the subtle threat that they usually build throughout the season. It strings the episodes together and creates a sense of tension that is flat-out nonexistent this season.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby airichan623 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:17 pm

So..not awesome but not horrible. But I was really hoping there would be some Martha Jones in there, since she works for UNIT.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby airichan623 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:19 pm

The Angels Take Manhattan.....I bawled my eyes out.

airichan623

Postby Twister980 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:15 am

Angels Take Manhattan:

[spoiler] Yowzah! That episode was fun, sad, etc. The detective from the beginning? After seeing himself die, he never showed up again. He could have been a main character, but nope. The whole statue of Liberty becoming a Weeping Angel was hilarious. The whole, Book being written about River thing was hilarious. And the time paradox? I thought Moffat was just gonna let them go at that, time can be re-written and all that... Then he pulled out that graveyard scene. I was trying not to cry or scream. I wasn't sure if I hated Moffat for that scene. But the ending provoked some of the most emotion. And that scene with River's broken wrist. [/spoiler]
Image Image "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Twister980

Postby K. Ayato » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:06 pm

[spoiler] I hated that Grayle character from the beginning. I actually thought it was kind of funny when he comes to, sees the locked door open, and there's the 2 statues from his garden about to attack him. Fitting end for such a jerk.

I cried after the graveyard scene passed. It was very emotional, and on a personal note, I want my husband and I to be like the Ponds. Not giving up the chance to be together, no matter what the risks. I also thought it was a bit gut-wrenching that Amy called River "Melody" the entire time throughout the episode. And that little shot of them holding hands during the final goodbye may seem like no big deal, but it was still powerful.

To be honest, I nearly forgot about the page the Doctor tore out of the book until River reminds him. And while I've not seen "Blink", I thought it was nice of Moffat to show the Angels kill someone by sending them back in time upon touching them, rather than the methods used in both "Time of the Angels" and "Flesh and Stone".[/spoiler]
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:53 pm

[spoiler]That was... not the best companion send-off there's ever been. It worked. I cried. But it could have been better. It didn't reach the cry-til-it-hurts levels of Rose's send-off in Season 2. But I did cry, and it was fitting. I'm glad they lived a long, happy life together.

The weakest part of the episode to me was the Doctor using regenerative energy to heal River's wrist. Cop-out. He's never been able to that before. I assumed that when she used regenerative energy to heal him in Let's Kill Hitler it was something she was only able to do because she'd recently regenerated.[/spoiler]
Yuki-Anne

Postby MangaRocks! » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:18 pm

@Yuki-Anne: Eh, not quite, actually... [spoiler]Back in season 2 of the new series, The Doctor was able to breathe regenerative energy into a crystal to power the TARDIS when they were in a parallel universe completely at will (though the feat did supposedly take 10 years off of his life-- which would explain River's reaction when he healed her in this ep. :)).

That said, this was a fantastic episode, and I can't wait for Christmas![/spoiler]
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:54 pm

My bad. I don't remember that, but I guess I stand corrected.
Yuki-Anne

Postby GeneD » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am

This season has been a bit lackluster so far and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. I think it really hasn't helped that the villains have been really uninteresting.

[spoiler]I mean, daleks are daleks and weeping angels are good and creepy, but lack character IMO. The Dinosaurs and Town bad guys were both "informed" bad guys, meaning we only found out second hand about why/how they were evil and Three, well the less said about their wasted potential the better. I really think it's a major cause to the less than satisfactory season though.[/spoiler]

Anyway I didn't get around to putting up my thoughts for the last few eps, so I'll do so now.

A Town Called Mercy
[spoiler]On viewing this was my favourite episode and the two ones after it hasn't really done anything to change my mind, but it's been 2 weeks so I'd have to see it again to give any meaningful comments. I thought the cyborg was cool and yay Ben Browder![/spoiler]

The Power of Three
[spoiler]I was really looking forward to a good old fashioned earth adventure and this episode had all the right ingredients, which unfortunately just didn't come together in the end. The different cubes were interesting but the end villains not. Agree with what others have said about this episode and why it didn't work.[/spoiler]

The Angels Take Manhattan
[spoiler]Gah, I don't think this episode made me feel like it was supposed to make me feel. I think it's the fact that it's been hammered into our heads all season that the Ponds are leaving and the Doctor's gonna be heartbroken and that kind of thing just takes all the wind out of the situation for me. I don't see what was the point of the Statue of Liberty angel, although it was cool it didn't exactly do anything. The detective at the beginning was also pointless and I'm not sure I really follow the angels' "logic". If they can send their victims back in time indefinitely, what's the point of having them come around to see their own death? When I heard the bit in the trailers where the Doctor says something like "Every time you try to escape they zap you back in time" I honestly thought he meant the Angels were doing it to the whole of Manhattan (also due to the title) and man that would have been a cool direction, but anyway. Rory's solution to the paradox was well done though.

It doesn't seem plausible that the Doctor could never see them again. What would stop him from visiting them in 1939 or 1940 or any other year after that or borrowing the time vortex manipulator? Nothing that I can think of at least.

I did really liked the River's wrist thing though and how it gave the Doctor hope, but then it was resolved too quickly. I guess this is what fanfiction is for but I imagine something like this would have been more effective:

The Doctor and River are cleaning the Tardis and Amy and Rory are walking together off in the distance. They're examining the grave stones and making up stories about the names on them. One of them in particular catches Rory's eye; "Hey Amy, look at this."
Cut to River and the Doctor. River accidentally knocks her hand and cries out. The Doctor realises her wrist has been broken all along and his face contorts in horror as it slowly dawns on him that the danger isn't over. He turns in the direction of the Ponds just as there is a shout from Amy. The Doctor runs.
[/spoiler]
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:08 am

GeneD... They need to hire you as a writer. Your ideas for The Angels Take Manhattan are awesome.
Yuki-Anne

Postby Twister980 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 am

Yeah, the Angels needed some more story. But then Moffat would have to make it a two parter, but he didn't have the time for that. -_-;

[spoiler] Not sure if Moffat meant this, but I think the Statue Of Liberty angel was a reference to Ghost Busters. [/spoiler]
Twister980

Postby goldenspines » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:31 am

Yuki-Anne (post: 1591498) wrote:GeneD... They need to hire you as a writer. Your ideas for The Angels Take Manhattan are awesome.
I approved of this. *w*

[insert usual critical comments on how Steven Moffat is a really creative guy, but he can't write a good story unless it's a two or three part-er]

The season was pretty okay, but it felt "cut off" a lot. Lot of great ideas, but the pacing was not so good. Actually, as much as I'm against a mass amount of two part episodes, the Angels Take Manhattan really could have used two episodes.

[spoiler] Especially since it was Amy and Rory's final episode. Since people already knew "it was coming", it broke off any of the suspense. I'll admit, the last part did get me a bit, but I still think it could have been much more powerful in a lot of ways, especially for the Doctor.
I'm just grumpy though. I really would love to see another "companion leaving" as powerful as Doomsday or Journey's End. [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby airichan623 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:15 am

goldenspines (post: 1591520) wrote:[spoiler] Especially since it was Amy and Rory's final episode. Since people already knew "it was coming", it broke off any of the suspense. I'll admit, the last part did get me a bit, but I still think it could have been much more powerful in a lot of ways, especially for the Doctor.
I'm just grumpy though. I really would love to see another "companion leaving" as powerful as Doomsday or Journey's End. [/spoiler]

See I thought that was how I would feel...I really thought I wasnt gonna cry. But in the end, my sister and I ended bawling in each others arms on the couch, and my mascara stained our blankets cuz it was running so bad.

I think the only way it could have been sadder is if when the Doctor asked River to travel with him she said, "Ok, lets go to the singing towers."

airichan623

Postby GeneD » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:45 am

goldenspines (post: 1591520) wrote:
Yuki-Anne (post: 1591498) wrote:GeneD... They need to hire you as a writer. Your ideas for The Angels Take Manhattan are awesome.
I approved of this. *w*
Me too. :sweat:

goldenspines (post: 1591520) wrote:The season was pretty okay, but it felt "cut off" a lot. Lot of great ideas, but the pacing was not so good. Actually, as much as I'm against a mass amount of two part episodes, the Angels Take Manhattan really could have used two episodes.
I totally agree. At the beginning Moffat specifically said the new season would have no two-parters and each episode will have a movie like quality and while I think they did in terms of visuals and scope, they tried to cram too much story into too little time and ended up having to rush the conclusion of most of them.

Anyway, I've been thinking about the last episode a lot lately but don't want to rehash any more criticism, so I'll just mention something that really clicked for me this episode in terms of where the overarching plot might go from here.

I'm not sure this classifies as a spoiler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
[spoiler]At the end of season 6 where the question "doctor who?" was raised as a future plot point, I thought it had to do with the Doctor's name, since it's one of the longest unanswered Doctor Who mysteries and we know River learns it at some point. But this episode made me click that the "who" is more about the Doctor as an individual since he's been removing records of himself and whatnot, which makes me interested to see where they are going with it. I wonder if they'll use the concept in the 50 year anniversary next year. A lot of people are speculating about a multi-Doctor meetup in the anniversary ep and I wonder what kind of impact removing his records will have on his past incarnations. But this is where it gets into real timey-wimey territory.[/spoiler]
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Twister980 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 am

[spoiler] But if you look carefully at Asylum of the Daleks, paying attention to a specific future companion. Who I believe is currently erasing the Doctor from history. But yeah, Tennant said he's ready to come back. So expect him. I'd like him to see River again. [/spoiler]
Twister980

Postby armeck » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:50 pm

I finally got a chance to watch to watch the first 5 episodes of season 7. I like how the episodes are more episodic than season 6
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Twister980 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 am

Okay, two things here.

1. Did anyone see that scene posted on Facebook that takes place after the last episode?

And E... No, wait...
2. Has anyone seen this MLP cover with Doctor Whooves quoting River Song on it?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbrbegeUQj1ro9t2lo1_500.jpg
Twister980

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Twister980 (post: 1593199) wrote:1. Did anyone see that scene posted on Facebook that takes place after the last episode?

Link please?
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 pm

^ Link. :)
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:09 am

Here's something I just realized: Next year will be the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who! I have an idea: Why not a marathon of the top 50 best episodes from both the classic and current versions?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby armeck » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:43 am

rocklobster (post: 1593312) wrote:Here's something I just realized: Next year will be the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who! I have an idea: Why not a marathon of the top 50 best episodes from both the classic and current versions?

IMO if they did that they should count 2 part episodes as one.
armeck

Postby battletech » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:52 pm

[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby K. Ayato » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm intrigued :).
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby battletech » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Just found this. Christmas special prequel It might just be a clip but I posted just to be sure.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:09 am

armeck (post: 1593315) wrote:IMO if they did that they should count 2 part episodes as one.

Actually, armeck, consider yourself lucky. In the old days, there were episodes that numbered 7 or 10 parts. Granted, every part was under half an hour in those days, but that's still a long time to watch something.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby armeck » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:08 pm

rocklobster (post: 1598621) wrote:Actually, armeck, consider yourself lucky. In the old days, there were episodes that numbered 7 or 10 parts. Granted, every part was under half an hour in those days, but that's still a long time to watch something.

so an entire season would only consist of 2 or 3 stories then eh?
armeck

Postby GeneD » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:25 am

armeck (post: 1599363) wrote:so an entire season would only consist of 2 or 3 stories then eh?
An entire season was usually between 7 to 10 stories but decreased a little in later seasons to between 5 to 7.

Here's a whole list that you can check out.

MAL
Twitter
GeneD

Postby Yuki-Anne » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:35 am

Lol, the moonites.
Yuki-Anne

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment