Classic Movies

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Classic Movies

Postby Ashley » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:42 pm

This is probably the coolest school-inspired thread ever. I'm in this United States History Through Filmcourse that's pretty awesome, and we've seen some great flicks. Made a real lover of classic movies out of me so far. We've seen Charlie Chaplin's The Kid, Modern Times, The Grapes of Wrath and Casablanca so far.

So, my question to all of you...who else likes classic movies? Black and white or color, sound or not, what are some really awesome old movies you like and why? Doesn't have to be monocolor either; there's some great Cary Grant films I've seen too, and they were pretty good.
Ashley

Postby Icarus » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:46 pm

Casablanca, for what should be obvious reasons.
A Roman Holiday. Honestly, can you think of any movie in recent memory in which the two main characters did not wind up together by the end of the film? One of them dying doesn't count.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby cbwing0 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:59 pm

I like anything by Abbot and Costello, Our Gang/The Little Rascals, or the Three Stooges. I also like the old Universal monster movies. Of course I also like "Night of the Living Dead," although that is a fairly recent "classic" movie. ;)
cbwing0

Postby Omega Amen » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:32 pm

Oh, Ashley, I could go on and on about this....

Casablanca, Key Largo.... I personally think Bogart was just the man. Lauren Bacall is also great actress.

Roman Holiday, Sabrina are some of the films featuring Audrey Hepburn, probably my favorite classic movie actress who really knew how to present beauty in an elegant, refined style... something that I do not see with actresses in today's movies, and I frankly miss that. Oh yeah, Sabrina also features... Bogart.

The Ten Commandments, an epic movie (not as old, 1956).

Of course, by far, my all-time favorite classic movie, Ben-Hur (again not as old, 1959). The story, acting, drama, action, and of course, the chariot race where so many movies afterwards have borrowed from it.

I really, really like a lot of classic movies... a lot more than I mentioned here.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:36 pm

I've been trying to see some of the more classic and influential films myself lately, so even if I didn't like one I can at least talk about it intelligently. I just rented Jaws and 2001: A Space Odyssey. I've also seen A Clockwork Orange, American History X, The Godfather, The Shining, Pulp Fiction, Driving Miss Daisy, Rain Man, Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Evil Dead trilogy, Do The Right Thing, and I'm sure there's some others that just aren't coming to mind right now.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Shinja » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:21 pm

i love classic movies, even silent movies, of my favs are, the big sleep, key largo (you ever been stung by a dead bee?), the searchers( best cowboy movie ever), to kill a mockingbird, and for silent movies, the general, and steam boat bill( both buster keaton films are probably 2 of my all time favs), the bat (has the best cimitography ever). im also a big fan of the cheasy B movies with vincent price such as d.r phibes, and the return of dr. phibes.

and who can forget the great dictator, best charley caplin film ever.

oh yeah, "harvey" is also one of my biggest favs
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby Technomancer » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:43 pm

I suppose it depends on what's considered a classic movie, but:

Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Sleep
Dr. Strangelove
The Fall of the Roman Empire (way better than Gladiator)
Little Big Man, and Cheyenne Autumn
Metropolis, M
To Kill A Mockingbird
Apocalypse Now

And almost everything by Kurosawa.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby shooraijin » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:43 pm

I particularly like Casablanca, Notorious, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Great Escape, A Bridge Too Far, 2001, Dr Strangelove, and, if it counts, most of the Pink Panther movies.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Michael » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:01 pm

Well I'm partial to:

The Thing (1950's)
Forbidden Planet
Ben Hur
The Shining
Alien
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Ashley » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:44 am

Oh man, I forgot Dr. Strangelove! That was great.

:rant: Another movie I was unfortunately forced to see against my will (same teacher, different class) was Citizen Kane. Ugh. That was the most pointless, drawn out, idiotic movie I think I've ever seen. That's not a classic, it's rotten.
Ashley

Postby Shinja » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:15 am

Ashley wrote:Oh man, I forgot Dr. Strangelove! That was great.

:rant: Another movie I was unfortunately forced to see against my will (same teacher, different class) was Citizen Kane. Ugh. That was the most pointless, drawn out, idiotic movie I think I've ever seen. That's not a classic, it's rotten.

ah, citzen cane is one of the greatest movies ever, not only in its cinmitogrphy, but in the story and acting as well. its the sad story of a man who gains everything, but loses the thing he loves most, his past. it shows how riches dont bring happyness. its also the movie that destroyed orson wells.

you should watch the third man, my favorite orson wells movie.
MATT

Shinja

Postby Twilly Spree » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:16 am

*glares* Don't diss Citizen Kane....just kidding, but I do rather enjoy the film

Definitely The Philadelphia Story, Some Like it Hot, and Paper Moon.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Icarus » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:37 am

I forgot the "Thin Man" movies, with Alfred Nivens. I also enjoyed "The Guns of Navarrone."
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby shooraijin » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:54 pm

I thought the Thin Man was William Powell ... ?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:18 pm

I liked that one movie
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby DrNic » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:30 pm

Classic movies..hmmm. You probably wont think mine are 'as classic' as some of the ones you mentioned but Im not really into REALLY old films. Heres my list:

The 12 Monkeys (With Brad Pitt, one of my favourite actors)
Bladerunner (I dont think anyones mentioned this yet, how could you not like Bladerunner!!!)
The Alien Quadrilogy (Cant pick a fave out of these)
The Thing (The 80s version, I've not seen the 50s one yet)
The Ring (US version, this film KICKED!!!Ive seen the jap version but the US ones my fave)
Akira (I know its anime but its still a movie and the best anime movie I've seen to date.)
The Timemachine (this is the oldest film in the list, NOT the new version)
Silence Of The Lambs (This film ruled, Red Dragon was almost as good)

As you can see Im a sci-fi and horror addict...mwaahaahaa!
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

William Powell starred in "The Thin Man" film series.

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:46 pm

shooraijin wrote:I thought the Thin Man was William Powell ... ?

shooraijin, the witty detective that solved the murders in the "The Thin Man" and its next five film sequels was played by William Powell. However, the detective character played by William Powell was not referred to as the "Thin Man." That is because the "Thin Man" was the murder victim in that movie (the first one).

Now, that I thought about it, in the second movie of these series, "After the Thin Man," also featured a minor character played by a very young James Stewart.

I must say that I liked both William Powell and James Stewart as actors.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Twilly Spree » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:13 pm

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Fun with civics!
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Shinja » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:43 pm

i like the old basel rathbone & nigel burce sherlock homes movies

plus the old johny wisemuller tarzan movies, they used to show them every sunday moring on tv as a kid

ungawa!
MATT

Shinja

Postby The Grammarian » Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:03 pm

Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Thunderball are good. (Heh, they're from the right time period to be 'classics,' at least.)
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small.
In all life, thou livest, the true life of all.
We blossom and flourish as leaves on a tree
And wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.

--Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise

Texan by birth, Yankee by accident of location.
The Grammarian

Postby DrNic » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:28 pm

I really am quite suprised that I'm the only person who thinks Bladerunners a classic. Harrison Ford was brialliant in it!
Take me

Far from all that's wrong and...
Let these

Fears collapse inside

Take me

Back to when i...

Believed

Bloodless by Emery

Come visit the free state of Non-1000: Home of the Special Uber Elite (and try the burgers :P)

There's this dude named DrNic,
If you forget him, he'll get ticked! - By CobaltAngel

:grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin: :dance: :grin:
DrNic

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:34 pm

Man... Most vincent Price movies...

The Fly
The Wax Museum
Ok... that's all I got for VP movies (except for Edward Scissorhands)

Um, Hitchcock made the best movies, too. I love Ironic endings.

Psycho
The Birds
Also, anyone seen his TV show that was like a whole lot of mini-movies? It's like the Twilight zone without most of the supernatural aspects (though a couple of them were somewhat supernatural)

But, out of all the classics, The Fly ranks on top, mostly because it used to scare be so bad... it's my trophy movie, hehehe.

Oh, and I wasn't thinking of Bladerunner because I was thinking of movies well before my time. Bladerunner came out in 1980. Yeah, that was a great movie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Michael » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:53 pm

Oh yeah, 'Rear Window' is a masterpiece.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby madphilb » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:57 pm

North by Northeast
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Arsenic and Old Lace
War of the Worlds (if it counts)

Someone already mentioned Forbidden Planet, but I'll second it.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Ashley » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:23 pm

Bump--add Sands of Iwo Jima to the list. We started that today in class. Interestingly enough, it's John Wayne's first movie (and, ironically, my first John Wayne movie). We won't finish it til Thursday, but so far I like it quite a bit.
Ashley

Postby aznmagic2015 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:20 pm

Laurence of Arabia was a excellent movie. But sooooooo very long.
aznmagic2015

Postby Da Rabid Duckie » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:35 pm

I'm a rabid (pun intended) fan of Kurosawa films. I saw Red Beard the other day. It had a pretty shocking scene in it, but it was definitely one of Toshiro Mifune's best roles for Kurosawa.
Da Rabid Duckie -- Taking Over Your Country In Three Posts Or Less.

Join the Proud Nation of Temuoplis! Koei, Temuoplis!

Law of Japanese Animation #11 (Law of Inherent Combustibility)
Everything explodes. Everything.

In both real life and video games,
anything can be solved through the mass application of explosives. -- The Duck

Da Rabid Duckie, concerning Gypsy wrote:Gypsy doesn't realize this, but she's ditching whomever she's with and we're getting married. Uh huh. Yeah. Lil bro Zilch can be the best man, it'll be an explosive ceremony. Everyone is invited! We'll serve poutine at the reception, Straylight can DJ, and Shatterheart can start a mosh pit!
Gypsy, in acceptance wrote:Explosives and poutine? Alright!
Hey... she said it... :p
Da Rabid Duckie

Postby Shinja » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:06 pm

Ashley wrote:Bump--add Sands of Iwo Jima to the list. We started that today in class. Interestingly enough, it's John Wayne's first movie (and, ironically, my first John Wayne movie). We won't finish it til Thursday, but so far I like it quite a bit.

actully he had many movies before the sands of iwo jima, it might be his frist war movie but he started off in silent cowboy movies back in the 20's. the intersting thing about it is its like one of only 3 movies he actully dies.
MATT

Shinja

Return to General Entertainment