Movies that made you read the book.

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Movies that made you read the book.

Postby madphilb » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:01 pm

Ok... here's the idea. Every so often I'll find a Movie that inspires me to read the book, and I can't be the only one. (the Timeline movie thread made me think of this).

Sphere - Michael Crichton

The movie wasn't too bad (reminded me a bit of "Forbiden Planet"), a friend of mine wanted a "underwater" movie, I wasn't real interested because the movie was pushed off as more of a thriller/horror type film (much like Event Horizon). The VHS tape pre-owned (with the sale) was only $3, so I said, sure.

When I saw it I thought my Mom might like it, turns out she had not only seen it, but had read the book (and told me it was better, as many books are), so, there we have it.

The idea is for books you read AFTER you saw the movie, not the other way around.... any other takers?
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:10 pm

Star Wars
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Locke » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:13 pm

runaway jury ^_^
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:11 pm

Uhmmm Don't you mean..
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Orange Kitten » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:30 pm

"Star Wars" LOL That's funny :-D

Only one for me, that was Jurassic Park when it first came out. I found it funny that all 3 movies made up the first book. The first movie was the only good one
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby true_noir_chloe » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:24 am

I'm with OK. I also read Jurassic Park after I saw the movie and it was the best of the three.

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Tet-chan » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:04 am

Star Wars and Lord Of The Rings
Tet-chan

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:45 am

I saw Battle Royale a while ago, and now I want to read the book (I wasn't aware that there was one until later).
cbwing0

Postby Ashley » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:33 am

Yup, nother star wars bookie here. I tried really hard to get into Lord of the Rings, but I'll stick with the movies. Seeing the previews for Timeline made me read the book before the movie, does that count?
I also tried to read the Count of Monte Cristo after the movie, but again, it was a boring read to even me, a devout Dumas fan. Well, scratch that. A devout fan of movies based on some rather dry books by Dumas. :lol:
Ashley

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:58 pm

I read the Hobbit, then I saw the movie LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring, then I read the first and second book. Then I saw the second movie. It went like that.
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Link Antilles » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:10 pm

Star Wars (Shadows of the Empire is my fav), Lord of the Rings, and Jurassic Park.
Link Antilles

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:13 pm

Well, the star wars books came AFTER the movies...

Anyhow, I saw Jurassic Park, and that made me want to read the book... The movie didn't bother me at all (I was 11 when it came out, I think...) but when I got around to reading the book, I had nightmares from it... That scene when they were in the raptor nest, towards the end of the book... I was in the bathroom reading it, and I thought that there was a raptor around the corner waiting to get me... I had dreams about raptors and floods (it was about the same time as I got caught in a riptide and almost died) so, of course, the area around my house was flooded and there were raptors standing on all the dry spots, there with the sole purpose of eating me...

Oh, watching the Lord of the Rings movies is making me want to read the books... I think I just finished reading about their first encounter with Tom Bombadil... I'm waiting for the stuff in the movie to start, ya know?

Volt wrote:Uhmmm Don't you mean...Books that made you watch the movie LOL

No...

And, in the first JP book, there's nothing about repeat visits, or a second island, or a T-rex and it's baby (ok, there's a Juvenile T-rex [spoiler]which eats the babysitter, and not the lawyer[/spoiler]) or anything for that matter... And, I don't think any of the movies have the part about going into the raptor cave, and [spoiler]bombing the island[/spoiler] about the only thing that fits what OK said is the fact I think there are pteradactyls in the first book, but it would have been too much to put them in the first movie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Straylight » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:18 pm

Jurassic Park
Dr Who
2001: A Space Oddysey(sp?)

How about animes that made you read the manga as well?

ooh, new thread idea :D
[align=center]
Banner above created using my avatar generator tool.
You know you want try it.
Straylight

Postby Twilly Spree » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:23 pm

White Oleander
Fight Club, which lead me to read the rest of Chuck Palahniuk's books

Michael Moore's documentaries lead me to read his books, I guess that sorta counts.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:50 pm

Michael Moore... *shiver*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Ashley » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:27 pm

Well, the star wars books came AFTER the movies...

What about "The Adventures of Luke Skywalker"? I heard that was the book Lucas wrote first then edited out to 3 films. I read it years and years ago and remember it being a bit different from the movies.
Ashley

Postby Solid Ronin » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:54 pm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Kevin B. Eastman and Peter A. Laird
Solid Ronin

Postby Locke » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:56 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:Michael Moore... *shiver*

wats so bad about Michael Moore ???

i read all his books and laffed my self silly!
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby madphilb » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:04 pm

Red Ninja wrote:Fight Club, which lead me to read the rest of Chuck Palahniuk's books

There was a book? Freaky movie... turned it on a long time ago (missed the first few minutes), wasn't intending to actually watch it, anyway... freaky movie. Book any good.... hmmm.... might have to check it out.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:19 pm

Aliens
Terminator
Jurrasic Park
JP: The Lost World
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby cbwing0 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:22 pm

I just found out that there is a book for "The Last Samurai." After I see the movie, I will want to read that. :thumb:
cbwing0

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:56 pm

kenshin1278 wrote:wats so bad about Michael Moore ???

Go watch "Bowling for Columbine" and you'll see.

And What I meant by "the 3 JP movies make up the first book" is that there were scenes in every movie that made up the book. I didn't mean all the stories were in the first book.
The beginning of the second movie is the opening of the book. The end of the 3rd movie is the end of the book. Certain scenes in the 2nd and 3rd movie were in the book. That's what I meant.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Twilly Spree » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:13 pm

If one would like to go about reading Chuck Palahniuk's books Fight Club would not be the one I would reccomend. I prefer Invisble Monsters or Lullaby. His books though are a tad um....gruesome and innappropriate for the younger fair.

I like Michael Moore, so sue me. He's really brash but I can agree with alot of his liberal viewpoints. I also think he presents some valid points/questions.
Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:05 am

kenshin1278 wrote:wats so bad about Michael Moore ???

Bowling for Columbine, while I don't consider it a real documentary, isn't that bad... I'm refering to some comments he made about some events in recent history... One particularly sick comment makes me flush anything that this guy made, not to mention that I just plain disagree with his positions for the most part...

If it were just his political stances (minus the specific anti-biblical variety) I wouldn't care... I can laugh at things I don't agree with, but he has gone beyond that...
Bobtheduck

Postby Technomancer » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:03 am

Moore has some good stuff, esp. "Canadian Bacon". Interestingly, some of the questions he raised in his last book were also reported on CBC's "The Fifth Estate".

Anyways, as for the other issue of Moore's alleged remarks (the one's in London right?). Noone has corroborated this report, and at least one that I've read from someone who was also there that night was of the opinion that the columnist's report was half-baked.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Twilly Spree » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:21 am

Yeah I heard about that, if you're talking about what I think you are. Eh, I'll still be a fan. I watched his film "The Big One" (my personal favorite) when I was in Civics in high school (my parents rented it for me). Since then I've read his books and seen his films. I also believe that Oprah should run for president. Go Oprah!
-Sex in the City
Twilly Spree

Postby VashTheStampede » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:12 am

Michael Crichton's books. He's one of my favorite authors :thumb: I've read every single one of his books so far. I went to see the movies that got made from the books after I read em. I've yet to see Timeline though, even though I own and have read it 8 times over, hehe. I also hope they make a movie out of his newest book, "Prey".
I felt Your hands move mine aside, as those nails were driven down [[color=Gold]†][/color]
"There is a time for everything. A season for every purpose under heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

~Do not have feelings of animosity and resentment towards the depressing times in your life, but turn to God in praise for the days He gives you. Along with the times of joy He blesses you with, also come the times of hardship. For how can one reach for the stars without darkness?~

"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21

"And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)

Digitally Imported Radio<-~-~Love Techno?~:cool:
Myspace!<--PM me for info if you wanna add me:sweat:
VashTheStampede

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:32 pm

Prey was very good, I hope they do too.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Kisa » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:39 pm

What movies made me want to read the books,
Lord of the Rings . . . nuf said! ^_^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Inferno » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:45 am

I love Michael chriton he's like my favorite auther. I saw the movie Timeline then i read the book. The movie did not have alot of the stuff the book had but it was overall an ok movie. :) (but the book was much better more.)
Inferno

Return to General Entertainment