Save your money!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Save your money!

Postby Ashley » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:39 pm

Save your hard earned cash and don't go see Timeline. I read the book last week and came into the theaters expecting a mildly butchered reversion, but willing to forgive "creative liberties". Instead I was handed a slaughtered "version" so perverted from the text it should not even be allowed to tote "based on the novel by Michael Crichton"! The dialogue was sketchy, flat, and cliche. The plot was seriously condensed, to the point of being boring, and they moved at such a fast pace that unless you had read the book, you'd have no idea what was going on with the technology (markers, the machines, etc.). The actors weren't that great (Although the Merovignian was in it, and he's still speaking french).
Let's put it this way: if it wasn't taken out from the book, it was stabbed, twisted, burned, frayed, manipulated and left to gargle and wallow on screen in a sick display of Hollywood at its worst.

THERE WAS NO ONE FROM SCOTLAND!

Ahem, anyway, while I usually enjoy historical set movies and movies based on time travel, this one was unforgivable and probably not worth the time it took to write this. However, if you see it and think differently, no I won't use my modly powers to ban you or even insult you.
Ashley

Postby Lochaber Axe » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:44 pm

I wonder how bad a "Prey" adaption would be.
Lochaber Axe

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:44 pm

Hmm... that seems to be typical of Hollywood.
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:45 pm

Soo... What do you really think?

:lol:

Don't worry about me. I don't see ANY movies. Just can't deal with them from an ADD standpoint...
Mithrandir

Postby andyroo » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:21 pm

THERE WAS NO ONE FROM SCOTLAND!"

Of all the vile things...

Yeah, typical Hollywood. Glad thing I don't have any cash.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Ashley » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:23 pm

Some texan critics reportedly called this film "the worst butchering of history since Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"
Ashley

Postby Link Antilles » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:29 pm

Hmmmm... who was the director? some rookie?

O'yeah, thanks for the warning!
Link Antilles

Postby andyroo » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:41 pm

Ashley wrote:Some texan critics reportedly called this film "the worst butchering of history since Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"

LOL! Whoa! Excellent!

What about butchering of the future? We ArE supposed to be in world that was transformed by Bill and Ted's music according to the movie. The 80's would last forever that could be both good and bad.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:11 pm

That's dissapointing. :(

I guess I'll just reread the book again instead.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Haibane Shadsie » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:31 pm

I haven't read that particular book, and have no desire to see the movie...

But "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" was... EXCELLENT! Well, yeah, it was never meant to be a serious portrayl of history nor hard science fiction about time travel, anway, just a goofy, off the wall comedy, which it was... So, be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

(I was a child in the 80s... but... I miss the 80s. The 80s were fun. Now, looking back, it's a very make-funable decade... just such funny, funny fashions and fads...)
"We will never give up and despair, for we are on a mission from God." __ Hellsing, Vol. 2.
Haibane Shadsie

Postby Tet-chan » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:47 am

If Ashley said its not good,i dont think i will be watching it
Tet-chan

Postby Ashley » Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:43 am

If Ashley said its not good,i dont think i will be watching it

Dang...that's some kind of influence! O.o
Ashley

Postby Stephen » Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:55 am

Well not to be mean...but I knew nothing about the book to be honost..the only thing I knew about Timeline was from trailors I had seen on tv...which looked so exciting! (sarcasm) I would rather jump into a pool of man eating guppys then watch it...
Stephen

Postby Ashley » Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:54 pm

Actually, those man eating guppies aren't sounding too bad now...at least they wouldn't make me waste 6 bucks like those morons who produced it.
Ashley

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:57 pm

My money will be better spent on The Last Samurai anyways... I am SO looking foward to this movie. One thing I thought was neat was seeing Tom Cruise's name written in katakana in the preview.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Tet-chan » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:22 am

Ashley wrote:Dang...that's some kind of influence! O.o

Cuz i treat u as my Senpai :thumb:
Tet-chan

Postby Heaven's Cloud » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:40 pm

Haibane Shadsie wrote:I haven't read that particular book, and have no desire to see the movie...

But "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" was... EXCELLENT! Well, yeah, it was never meant to be a serious portrayl of history nor hard science fiction about time travel, anway, just a goofy, off the wall comedy, which it was...

Word! They called Socrates So-Crates instead of Sock-Ra-Tees. lol, silly boys.

I was thinking of going to see it, but I guess I won't know.
"So it begins" - Theodon, King of Rohan
Heaven's Cloud

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:52 pm

Jurassic Park was brutally mangled, but it was STILL a good movie separate from the book... But, the book scared the... well, maybe I don't need to bring that story up... Anyhow, the books are usually better... Usually...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mave » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:29 pm

errr....I did watch Timeline and can honestly say I enjoyed it. I went in, without any 'prior' knowledge whatsoever of what it's about. A little slow at the beginning but I liked it overall.

It's true though that it's nothing compared to the book (the butchering like what you all said) coz my boyfriend (whom I went to watch it with) read the book first and wasn't too impressed with the movie.

But if you don't intend to read or haven't read the book Timeline, I say it can be enjoyable. ^^

JP is one of the 'classics' in my list along with Gladiator, Momento etc. Both movie and book was good IMO. ^^
Mave

Return to General Entertainment