What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Re: What Movies are you Watching?

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:50 pm

AndrewinIce wrote:The next Three Days- Pretty good. Not great

This was sort of my reaction, which made my Dad sad because he loved it.
Also, hope you feel better.
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby SierraLea » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Howl's Moving Castle. That's my favorite Studio Ghibli film, hands down. I only wished they had picked a better english voice for Howl!
SierraLea

Postby AndrewinIce » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:53 am

Panda4christ:3 wrote:
AndrewinIce wrote:The next Three Days- Pretty good. Not great

This was sort of my reaction, which made my Dad sad because he loved it.
Also, hope you feel better.

Thanks, and I do. Finally!
AndrewinIce

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:29 am

Watched Castle in the sky last night, I've been in a anime mood recently :P
Makachop^^128

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Finally got around to seeing Les Miserables! It was really good; I certainly felt the emotion more than I did watching the concert. The acting was also amazing, obviously. Unfortunately, only a handful of them could sing worth much, but I guess you can't have everything. I was absolutely blown away by Anne Hathaway's performance and singing - she definitely deserved that Oscar! The only parts I cried for were the ones with the priest, because...yes. Yes yes yes.

I also watched Aladdin and the King of Thieves - ahhh, the essence of my childhood! ^_^ This is the first time I've seen it knowing that Cassim is voiced by none other than John Rhys-Davies, and now I can't believe I never figured that out before!
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:29 pm

Just finished Arthur and the invisibles with my brother. We were trying to find something on netflix instant to watch before going to sleep and...
Ugh...i never wanna watch that again...that was just..*shudders* awful awful movie.

Postby Kaori » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:45 am

The Hiding Place: admittedly I was not giving it nearly my full attention, but it seems like the film somehow managed to change the characters' eloquent wisdom in the book into trite, hollow-sounding clichés and wasn't entirely faithful to the story (e.g. adding a scene where Casper Ten Boom stands in line with the Jews to receive a star). It was also just really dark and hard to see stuff much of the time. Highly recommend reading the book instead.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Sin City - What a beautiful movie. It's based on a graphic novel - even to the extent that everything is filmed in black and white with only a few accents of color. Truly gorgeous to look at, so streamlined and pristine. It was also delightfully noir, down to the grim eloquence of the narration and the flowing trench coats. Obviously, it's a very dark, gritty story with almost no hope shining through, but I found it very rewarding all the same, though certainly not something you'd just turn on on a Friday night to watch with popcorn.

A cautionary note to anyone thinking of watching it: This movie deserves its R rating every inch of the way. There's quite a lot of nudity, sexual innuendo, a sex scene itself (which I could thankfully skip because I was watching it with someone who'd already seen it), blood, guts, a romance I found absolutely disgusting, cannibalism, and extremely scantily-clad prostitutes walking around for a large portion of the movie. I'm still glad I saw it, and I think it was worth it despite all that, but do make sure none of this will be a stumbling block before you watch it.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 03, 2013 6:40 am

Pan's Labyrinth - Despite my long-lasting love of anything involving labyrinths and my love of the horrific and fantastical, I'd been staying away from this movie for a long time because I was afraid it was one of those movies that revels in the darkness it portrays. I was relieved to find, after I'd been coaxed into watching it with friends, that my fears were completely unfounded. It's a dark and grisly tale, with quite a few gross things and blood (I had to avert my eyes a few times), but it's not just darkness for darkness's sake. I feel it accurately captures the truly grim aspect of the original fairy tales, acknowledging that great sacrifices must be made to make your wishes come true.

I also got to see The Hobbit again, and my opinion of it hasn't lowered a bit. I love this movie.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby AndrewinIce » Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 am

I Watched 'Safe'. It was very good, and 'not too bad' (My mom hates those words) when it came to language.
AndrewinIce

Postby GeneD » Fri May 03, 2013 1:59 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Pan's Labyrinth

Such a great movie, but yeah it's dark. I loved that the monster of the story is not what I expected.
GeneD

Postby Scarecrow » Fri May 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Imagenaerum.... aka the Nightwish movie... unless you're a fan of Nightwish, don't bother. Of course, if you're not a fan, ya probably never heard of it so... If you are, it's a weak movie in terms of script and story telling... the story itself is not bad, the idea just needed to be taken to someone who could write the dialog better and maybe work with storytelling a bit. But I still liked it regardless... just to hear Nightwish music in a movie. The score is amazing, the visuals are a treat and seeing the band show up a couple times and few songs... yea it was fun.

Just wished the movie was tighter in terms of script/dialog/storytelling. Visually it was beautiful though. My favorite parts were basically any part where Nightwish music was playing predominately and it was just being visual... like the suicide scene, the tin soldier scene, the flying over the mountains... the part where Tom is Chasing Gem.... Basically the movie would have been amazing if they just cut out all the dialog and just had music/songs tell the story with the visuals. Cause those were the best parts. Any time someone started talking it just didn't flow but I still liked it. If you're not a fan of Nightwish, probably wouldn't like it at all much.
Scarecrow

Postby SierraLea » Sun May 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Has anyone seen the latest Iron Man yet? Is it any good, or the sequel that never should have happened?
SierraLea

Postby bigsleepj » Mon May 06, 2013 11:12 am

I thought it was good, but some fans of the comics will not like it that much. :)
bigsleepj

Postby AndrewinIce » Mon May 06, 2013 10:18 pm

SierraLea wrote:Has anyone seen the latest Iron Man yet? Is it any good, or the sequel that never should have happened?

My brother says it was good, but the weakest of the three. IGN.com says it's the best of the series. Joss Wheden, directer of 'The Avengers', apparently, after seeing it, said, "How Am I going to top that in 'Avengers 2'.

This is all he said she said.
AndrewinIce

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Rewatched the Death Note movies, which will never get old <3

I also saw an old, over-the-top musical called Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which is about seven brothers who all decide they need wives...and so they go out and grab them and take them home. Rather funny, very exaggerated.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SierraLea » Sat May 18, 2013 9:34 pm

I ended up watching a lot of the blueray extras on the Lord of the Rings with my oldest younger sister. Some of them are really funny and interesting, like the small fact that the actor for Eragorn has kissed at least five male members of the cast, including the actor for Pippen!
SierraLea

Postby Rewin » Sun May 19, 2013 6:56 am

I am almost finished re-watching Serenity but my daughter woke up so hopefully I will be able to finish it later. In the meantime it seems she aims to misbehave, so I must go rescue the house from her amazing destructive powers.
Rewin

Postby SierraLea » Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 am

I watched Super Eight with my dad last night. If not for that last bit, the "thing" would probably have given me some serious nightmares.
SierraLea

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Flightplan - Finally got to knock this one off the list. It was an okay sort of thriller, about a child abduction on an airplane. It was cool to see a movie that deals so closely with the airplanes I'm so familiar with, and I thought they did a pretty good job of portraying what an extremely long flight is like. The plot itself was just sort of average, but the main attraction of the movie was Sean Bean <3
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Beautiful Creatures. It was meh...i didn't care much for the male lead and i felt like their were parts of the plot that didn't go anywhere >.>

Edit: Also, the portrayal of christianity was just...
Nobody prays like that -_-...

Postby SierraLea » Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Saw Hookwinked Too! One of the worst sequels ever. Who on earth wrote that script? I wonder if they ever wrote a decent story in their life.
SierraLea

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun May 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Rise of the Guardians

A decent coming of age tale in a fantasy setting.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 31, 2013 7:47 pm

I rewatched Serenity, since I just finished rewatching Firefly. As before, I like it, though I think this finale of the story would have been ten times more awesome if they'd actually been allowed to unfold it in a TV show format. The injuries also feel a bit pointless, whereas injuries in the show always held some sort of significance to the plot of the episode, at least.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SierraLea » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Rewatching Rise of the Guardians. I see a lot of similarities between Jack Frost and Naruto.
SierraLea

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Wreck It Ralph

Better than I expected, a decent "find your path" sort of story. Kind of like Toy Story for an arcade.
Decent overall.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:18 am

In the past few weeks, I've rewatched the Harry Potter movies. Good stuff, good stuff.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby KnightOfFive » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:25 am

Watching Harry Potter for the first time, not bad at all.
KnightOfFive

Postby GeneD » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:41 am

I watched Hugo last weekend, which was very pretty and a good story overall. Still didn't completely sell me on Asa Butterfield so I remain nervous about Ender's Game.
GeneD

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:44 am

Disconnect, a movie about how inter-connectedness through the internet and technology can lead to less social cohesion. It is well made and well acted, but not a cheerful movie.
bigsleepj

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment