What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Neane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Forgettable cheese but I'm still glad I watched it.

There's also added hilarity to be found for anyone familiar with the actual people/events depicted in the movie. Personally I'd been hoping for an appearance by Salmon P. Chase, but it never happened. Oh well.
Neane

Postby Neane » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:37 pm

The Trotsky, a Canadian indie comedy that my hipster friend made me watch. In case the words "indie comedy" aren't enough of a tipoff... it was pretty bad.
Neane

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Watched Take me Home It was pretty cute story, I was a little worried the main characters were going to be an affair ( I can't stand affairs in movies if they are glorified) but there wasn't, and oh my goodness this movie had great music :) Good movie.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:23 pm

The Nine Tailors (BBC) - Not bad, but not exceptional. Lord Peter was a bit too pompous. But I loved the old-fashioned feel of it.

The Grudge - :evil: Still my favorite horror movie, and it still manages to creep me out. I watched it with my roommates, and I think it frightened them - though not as much as it scared me the first time around, probably *is a pansy*

V for Vendetta - My roommate showed me this on the 5th on purpose :cool: Not bad! Very artistically appealing (visually and otherwise), though the story will never be one of my favorites. And dystopias are always fun.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:48 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1596481) wrote:The Grudge - :evil: Still my favorite horror movie, and it still manages to creep me out. I watched it with my roommates, and I think it frightened them - though not as much as it scared me the first time around, probably *is a pansy*

The Japanese or American version? The Japanese one managed to scare me more than the American one, but both were terrifying!
Atria35

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:51 pm

I Just watched "Wreck-it-Ralph" and I loved it, though the part with Kano and the Zombie... Wasn't that a bit much for a PG movie? I know it was meant to be silly but still... Liked the rest of it, but would have loved to see more gaming vistas. Lots of characters, but no vistas. In fact, were ANY of the locations in the movie (other than Pacman, and the montage in the credits) from real games?

Star Trek the Motion Picture. I had seen it while distracted about 15 or so years ago. This was my first time watching it all the way through. It was horrible.

I've spent some time on the "Watch 10 minutes of this movie" feature on PSN, if that counts. Saw 10 minutes of

Lorax (I hate Dr. Seuss's more political books, so blah)
That's My Boy (looked horrible)
Chronicle (looked vaguely interesting, and the lack of Background music made it surprisingly creepy)
Battleship (didn't impress me, and I'm disappointed that the movie doesn't include the line "You sunk my battleship")
Amazing Spiderman (yeah, haven't seen it yet... So sue me! I've got it queued on netflix)
Dark Shadows (meh... seemed kind of dumb.)
Can't remember if I watched any of the others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Neane » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1596595) wrote:Star Trek the Motion Picture. I had seen it while distracted about 15 or so years ago. This was my first time watching it all the way through. It was horrible.

Star Trek the Motion Picture is not really that good, but Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is PURE AWESOME.
Neane

Postby SierraLea » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:47 am

I watched The Amazing Spiderman for the first time on Saturday. I liked this one way better than the original, mainly because it was more heartwarming and less serious. I loved the funloving version of Spiderman, and my favorite scene was with the cranes. Call me an idiot, but I love it when the protected help the protector.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby Zeldafan2 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Neane (post: 1596603) wrote:Star Trek the Motion Picture is not really that good, but Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is PURE AWESOME.

Amen to that.
Zeldafan2

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:53 am

Atria35 (post: 1596492) wrote:The Japanese or American version? The Japanese one managed to scare me more than the American one, but both were terrifying!

The American version. I think the plot holds together better. Though Ju-On 2 is positively the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. Awesome horror movie, much better than The Grudge 2.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Neane » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:26 pm

The Beast of War, a rather good tank movie about a Russian tank-crew in the wilderness of Afghanstan during the Soviet Invasion.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:32 am

Anna Karenina - Admitting right now I've never read the book, so I can't say how it stacked up against it. First off, it's beautifully filmed. It seems like one of those movies film teachers would pull out to show technique. Part of this is because there are scenes (mostly dealing with Anna's home life) where it's filmed as though it's a stage play, and the various parts of the stage become different places - the catwalk becomes the docks or a train station, the stage is her boy's room or her husband's study, etc. and it's very ingeniously done.

As for the story? I forget that Anna is a bit of a tragedy about a woman who, for all rhyme and reason, is rather mentally unbalanced when it comes to obsessively loving a man. Though there is evidence that this is simply because she's a product of her time - uneducated, given no choice in the man she would marry, unused to being pursued, frivolous as a woman of her station would be... There's all sorts of factors playing into why she behaves the way she does. She's never likeable but I doubt that she's meant to be. And there are a lot of interesting subplots to this as well, such as whether she really loves and how that extends to her children (and how her husband loves in his own way), what love really is, the line between love and obsession. It's really a fantastic movie, but one that I could only watch once in a while.

Lincoln - This was a FABULOUS movie. This centers on the few months before passing the 13th amendment, and almost everything from here is historical fact (including the dialogue, virtually all was taken from speeches, letters, personal diaries, and court documents of the time). Lincoln is human - dealing with many pressures, but desperately trying to maintain good humor through it all. He doesn't always succeed. This is very dialogue-driven, and it's sharp, witty, and wonderful. This is a large cast, and believe me, it can occasionally be hard to keep track of, but they are all characters and I really enjoyed watching them argue, debate, and console each other.

The plot is also A-Grade stuff. It's something that I don't think many films have touched on - really dealt with - and that makes it fascinating to see play out.

Great film. See it.
Atria35

Postby SierraLea » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:28 pm

has anyone seen the movie Spectacular!? It's super shallow but it has some great music and dance scenes in my opinion.
"I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:37-40).
Exceptionally Ordinary
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else." P.T.Barnam
SierraLea

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Brave: Gotta say i was a bit underwhelmed by this one. Not bad but really didn't stand out much

Expendibles 2: Better than the first one in every way, you can tell they just had way more fun with this one.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Re: What Movies are you Watching?

Postby Atria35 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Over the last few days I've re-watched Secret of Kells, Miracle on 34th Street, and White Christmas.

Oh, yes, Miracle on 34th Street the original, not the remake. No offense to people who like the remake, but the original wins over on the incident with Santa Claus singing with the Dutch war orphan. Who probably watched her parents be killed and her friends and her neighbors as well, and probably was in a concentration camp. The remake's version of the deaf boy holds no candle to this.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:14 am

Marathoned all of the LotR movies in preparation for The Hobbit :grin: So much awesome! Also watched a bit of the Appendices :thumb:

The Crow - rather cheesy, but a nice aesthetic, and some fun parkour action scenes
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Men In Black 3: This one was surprisingly good.

Paranorman: and the winner of my best animated picture of the year goes too....seriously this was fantastic in every way.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby SierraLea » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Call me crazy but i really want to see Bamib II. There are so many sweet moments in that movie, and some pretty great music too. My little sisters would love it.
SierraLea

Postby CrystalChalice » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Saw the live-action Rurouni Kenshin movie in the cinema. It was totally awesome!
CrystalChalice

Postby SierraLea » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:51 am

I got to watch The Dark Knight Rises last night, and boy does it have a killer ending. I saw it in theaters, but I still love that ending.
SierraLea

Postby Yuki-Anne » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:02 am

Finally watched The Dark Knight Rises. Soo goood...

Now I'm watching Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. All I can say is... LOL what is this I don't even
PS it was an awful movie. It was practically self-parodying, it was so bad. I can't believe it won Oscars.
New and improved Yuki-Anne: now with blog: http://anneinjapan.blog.com
Yuki-Anne

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 am

Watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight again in preparation for watching The Dark Knight Rises later.

The plan is to rewatch Memento tonight to celebrate the end of the semester :jump:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 am

Yuki-Anne wrote:Finally watched The Dark Knight Rises. Soo goood...

Now I'm watching Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. All I can say is... LOL what is this I don't even
PS it was an awful movie. It was practically self-parodying, it was so bad. I can't believe it won Oscars.

I liked that movie but you're right it's not particularly good. It should have been much better. It didn't flow well and Keanu was terrible. But if you watch scenes by themselves, I love it. In fact ill watch part a d think to my self, eh maybe it's not so bad and watch the whole movie again only to be disappointed. As far as atmosphere and aesthetics, I can't really think of a better gothic vampire movie. Scene by scene it's visually stunning and beautiful. Try to watch it all the way through and it just never meshes or gets you engaged. Feels like a bunch of disconnected dots and the film as a whole totally unmemorable. Still watching the trailer or a few scenes though and I get fooled into thinking maybe I was too hard on it or its not that bad. Better writing and focusing on one character than shifting between three (I think it follows Keanu first then the Dracula/winonna romance, and then Van Hellsing), I don't think it would hav felt so disjointed and disappointing.

Anyway, watched Battle Royale after hearing it compared to hunger games. Now I liked hunger games but thought it could have been much better. Should have been R for one... Anyway gave this a chance cause I liked the concept which is why I checked out HG in the first place. This was so much better than HG. In fact I think my liking of the HG greatly diminished after seeing this... Just because they're similar and this was executed so much better. I loved it. It did so many things right HG did wrong or didn't get as well as I thought they could have. If ya thought the concept of HG sounded interesting but left ya a bit disappointed or felt it could have been better, definaty check this out.
Scarecrow

Postby Crossfire » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:41 am

Battle Royal was pretty fragin' ridiculous. That being said, it provided some form of entertainment during school... but the blood and gore, it felt so cheesy.
Crossfire

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:04 pm

That was actually something I liked. It was incredibly over the top but so was the whole movie so it fit. It was like a live action anime. And now I see where Tarantino got his inspiration for the cartoony over the top violence in the kill bill films which used the same spaying fountain of blood effect (honestly I could see a lot of where Tarantino picked things up from this film for the kill bill films... Even the school girl Gogo was in this)

I like the cartoony violence approach but that's just me.
Scarecrow

Postby SierraLea » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:56 pm

I watched Madagascar III over the weekend, and i must say i love what they did with the circus.
SierraLea

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter. It was much better than I was expecting. I loved the last third of the movie after he becomes president. Before that I wasn't digging the movie much at all. I think it could gave been a lot better maybe if they condensed the first third and then really fleshed out the rest and build up the battle of Gettysburg. The special effects at the end were awesome and the 3D (3D bluray/tv) was really sweet. Liked how it ended and the mixing of history and fiction. Just wish the first half was mor interesting or paced better and didn't feel so boring.
Scarecrow

Postby SierraLea » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:07 pm

I watched Harry Potter 7 1&2 over the weekend. They're both pretty accurate in comparison with the book, but the first one is a little depressing.
SierraLea

Postby impact777 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Red Dawn (1984) - I like patriotic movies from the 80's. ^^
impact777

Postby SierraLea » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 pm

We just got a blueray player for Christmas, so We're enjoying all the special features on The Dark Knight Rises.
SierraLea

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment