What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Re: What Movies are you Watching?

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:59 am

I just saw Mockingjay part one and Big Hero 6. Mockingjay I liked better. Big Hero 6 was really cute but the plot kind of stank.
DecooPunk

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:17 pm

I recently was finally able to watch How to Train Your Dragon 2, and...I was impressed. Period. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was stunned they killed his dad, though...I did not see that coming.
"Show me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day." Psalm 25:4-5

"Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted.
The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses.
Look upon mine affliction and my pain; and forgive all my sins.
Consider mine enemies; for they are many; and they hate me with cruel hatred.
O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee.
Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles." Psalm 25: 16-22

Thank you. Have a good day.
Wolfsong

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:12 am

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

I'd been wanting to watch this movie for several years, and finally got around to it once classes were over for the semester. This is probably the first time any story has made me able to sympathize with a Nazi soldier, and even understand him in an abstract sort of way. It's at least the most positive light I've ever seen Nazis put in. What I really liked about this movie was how successfully it used dramatic irony. Because the main character is just a little boy, he notices things but doesn't understand their significance, but because the audience knows what's really going on, his innocent questions and assumptions are gut-wrenching. And the climax was like a nightmare - horrifying, out of control, and far too vivid.

A wonderful movie, but not for the faint of heart.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:21 pm

I watched way more movies over Christmas than I have time to go into any detail about, but here's the list (bolded are the ones I saw for the first time):

Maleficent
The Fault in Our Stars
The Maze Runner

Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
The LEGO Movie
A Christmas Carol (starring Jim Carrey)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Ender's Game
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
Departures
Alice in Wonderland
Planes: Fire and Rescue
Khumba
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:18 pm

Saw Blackhat.

Good show. A fairly accurate representation of the mechanics of cyber security. Not true to life but closer than I would have expected.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Finally got around to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy. It didn't rock my socks or anything, but it was a fun little sci-fi movie. Mostly fun for seeing so many familiar faces, and for that lovely purple :wow!: That was a beautiful magic crystal thing. Also, I decided that Chris Pratt's voice is much better than his face. Not enough emotion on that face, but his voice was great. Though maybe that's just because I know him better as Emmett in The LEGO Movie :P

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:12 pm

Book Of Life - Beautiful movie. Super cute songs and some really great characters. Really enjoyed this one.
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno and The Legend Ends

Really awesome live-action adaptations! It's been years and years since I saw the anime, so I honestly don't remember how close they kept to the original, but these are very cool movies with awesome action and lots of fun moments. I think the first movie was ever so slightly better than the sequels, but it was still really cool to see the end of the story. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I kinda wanted Kenshin to say "Tadaima" again, though :P Oh, and Tatsuya Fujiwara as Shishio is basically the best thing ever.

Wait Until Dark

One of my favorite thrillers ever, about a blind woman trying to outwit a group of criminals trying to steal something from her house. Great acting on the part of Audrey Hepburn.

AI: Artificial Intelligence

I love this movie, despite its weird trippyness, especially towards the ending. I've always found the idea interesting, to follow the story of Pinocchio through a sci-fi setting.

Warrior

An awesome movie about two estranged brothers who end up fighting each other in a mixed martial arts championship. Really, really well done. I love it, even though I'm the last person who would normally watch something like this.

Dragon Hunters

An indie movie (I think?) about two unlikely heroes and an extremely talkative girl who set out on a quest to kill the most dangerous dragon in the world. The setting is really unique (and oddly reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy o.0), and I thought the movie was really good.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:04 am

City of Ember

A really cool, quirky post-apocalyptic setting where everyone has been living in an underground city for so long they've forgotten what the world was like aboveground. The three kids who are the main characters reminded me a lot of the Baudelaire children from A Series of Unfortunate Events, and it was fun to see Bill Murray as the mayor.

Take Shelter

A quiet, slow-paced indie movie about a man who starts getting nightmares about a huge storm and starts to think they're prophetic. I love this movie; it's so beautiful and understated, and reminds me a lot of the way M. Night Shyamalan used to make movies.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:49 pm

Treasure Island

This is the best adaptation of the book I've ever seen, starring Christian Bale, Charlton Heston, and even an appearance by Christopher Lee! It's really well done, with beautiful music by The Corrs and a wonderful sense of adventure. This is the definitive version for me.

The Brave Little Toaster

One of those childhood classics I never got around to seeing when I was actually a kid. But now I've seen it, and wish I had! A really cute movie.
Last edited by the_wolfs_howl on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Midori » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:55 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:The Brave Little Toaster

One of those childhood classics I never got around to seeing when I was actually a kid. But now I've seen it, and wish I had! A really cute movie.

A good movie. But the junkyard scene traumatized me when I was little. I should watch it again sometime now that I'm older.
Midori

Postby WorldsTraveler » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Midori wrote:
the_wolfs_howl wrote:The Brave Little Toaster

A good movie. But the junkyard scene traumatized me when I was little. I should watch it again sometime now that I'm older.

So glad I'm not the only one! I honestly don't remember anything else about the movie besides that scene. I wonder what I'd think of it now if I rewatched it?
WorldsTraveler

Postby ClaecElric4God » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:26 pm

Big Hero 6, finally - I squealed like a fangirl at every fragment of Japanese culture I saw, and enjoyed it rather immensely. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Without fail, my favorite character always dies in the first chapter/episode/few minutes/etc. of every work of fiction ever, and this didn't break tradition. Ah, well. Hiro was pretty cool too, I guess.
But yeah, I was pleased.

Saving Mr. Banks - Wow, sad. That's all I have to say. No wait, I have more to say. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Down to the very end I could not stand Mrs. Travers. I get that she had a horrible past and stuff, but really. That kind of person irks me to no end. I had little patience for her. But it was okay. Good stuff. Watching Tom Hanks try to be Walt Disney was weird, but fun. I always feel weird when a movie has a real life character in it.
I wouldn't have cried if the dad didn't remind me a lot of a person I know, and his situation hit pretty close to home. So yeah, jerked a tear or two out of me. Good job, movie.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:21 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:Big Hero 6, finally - I squealed like a fangirl at every fragment of Japanese culture I saw, and enjoyed it rather immensely. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Without fail, my favorite character always dies in the first chapter/episode/few minutes/etc. of every work of fiction ever, and this didn't break tradition. Ah, well. Hiro was pretty cool too, I guess.
But yeah, I was pleased.

Saving Mr. Banks - Wow, sad. That's all I have to say. No wait, I have more to say. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Down to the very end I could not stand Mrs. Travers. I get that she had a horrible past and stuff, but really. That kind of person irks me to no end. I had little patience for her. But it was okay. Good stuff. Watching Tom Hanks try to be Walt Disney was weird, but fun. I always feel weird when a movie has a real life character in it.
I wouldn't have cried if the dad didn't remind me a lot of a person I know, and his situation hit pretty close to home. So yeah, jerked a tear or two out of me. Good job, movie.

I really enjoyed those too.

Anyway, as for me, my mom and I went and seen Cinderella. First, let me just say I LOVE the costumes, sets, and scenery! Easily one of the most visually beautiful and well designed movies I've ever seen. Second, the movie was very good. I liked how they managed to keep it a very classic, innocent fairy tale yet still being able to reinvent it. And lastly, I liked the fact that most of the actors I hadn't seen before with the exception of like three. It was refreshing to see so many unfamiliar faces.

In the end, very good indeed! :)
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:56 am

Finally got a chance to see Big Hero 6. I loved it! There were a few parts that actually surprised me, like who the villain turned out to be. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was expecting it to be Tadashi, and was trying to figure out how they were going to explain that. Also, I love Baymax and I want one. Pronto.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:43 pm

I recently rewatched Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno and I Am David, showing them to a friend of mine who hadn't seen them. Good movies, if very different from each other ^_^

I also watched the second Bionicle movie, Legends of Metru Nui XD My childhood! :hug:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:31 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:I also watched the second Bionicle movie, Legends of Metru Nui XD My childhood! :hug:

From what I remember that was my favorite of the of the Bionicle movies! I should re-watch it sometime.

Recently I've seen:

Man of Steel - It was alright. The action and explosion were cool, but the story and characters were a little bland.

Dredd - Pretty much non-stop killing, explosions, and blood; but the story and characters were pretty cool, so to me, it felt like a little more than just an action flick. I enjoyed it.

Monsters University - Loved it! I've always liked Monsters Inc., but I never thought it was anything amazing. This was awesome! There were so many characters, and so much happened -- It was allot of fun. I also really like how SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The movie focuses on Mike so much. It really gives the viewer a different view of him. First movie in a long time that I'm tempted to give a 10/10.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue May 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Watched the third Night at the Museum. It was good, I guess? I found the ending very, very dissatisfying. And perhaps this is dark and awful, but every time I saw Robin Williams I couldn't help but wonder what he was thinking during those scenes. It's sobering, really.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat May 16, 2015 6:30 pm

The Scarlet Pimpernel

I've never read the book (bad English major! DX), but I loved the movie. I could definitely see how it influenced several of my favorite movies, where the protagonist has to pretend to be a foppish fool to escape suspicion. It was also great to see a young Ian McKellen :3

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

Awesooooooooooooome :cool: I loved this movie. Even better than the first Avengers! ^_^ I was really impressed with the writing. Love Joss Whedon!

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Thunderscream872 » Sun May 17, 2015 8:46 am

Seen Avengers: Age of Ultron a couple days ago. I didn't think it was quite as good as the first one, but it was still a fantastic movie. I really liked how Hawkeye got allot more time in this one.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon May 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

Good show, more of the glorious cinema that Marvel has been putting out. Ultron get a surprising number of good lines.
Language.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun May 31, 2015 8:22 am

Rewatched Les Choristes - I recently realized that yes, it must be one of my favorite movies, because I keep on showing it to people and never get tired of it XD

I also watched Blast from the Past, a hilarious movie about a family who went into a fallout shelter in the '60s and then send their son (who was born down there) to the surface for supplies in the '90s. It was so funny to watch this guy who's never seen anyone other than his parents muddle around in the real world for the first time. And despite the amount of vulgarity, it just felt so refreshing because he'd been raised with morals and he sticks to them no matter what. (Also, I think this is the only time I've ever seen a movie where the main character, in all seriousness, asks people to stop taking God's name in vain. And people say, "You got a problem with that?" and he says forcefully, "Yes, I do!")

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:51 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:I also watched Blast from the Past, a hilarious movie about a family who went into a fallout shelter in the '60s and then send their son (who was born down there) to the surface for supplies in the '90s. It was so funny to watch this guy who's never seen anyone other than his parents muddle around in the real world for the first time. And despite the amount of vulgarity, it just felt so refreshing because he'd been raised with morals and he sticks to them no matter what. (Also, I think this is the only time I've ever seen a movie where the main character, in all seriousness, asks people to stop taking God's name in vain. And people say, "You got a problem with that?" and he says forcefully, "Yes, I do!")

Oh gosh...Blast From the Past...I love that movie!
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:23 am

Sleepy Hollow - Actually, I really liked this. It was a bit stupid and cheesy but enjoyable XD
Hellboy 2 (re-watched)
Fox And The Hound - Never actually seen this one before, by the time the tape got around to me as a kid it had already been eaten by the VCR ;-;
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - I really liked this one. The singing was good for a movie-musical and I thought the story was really good. Also, snape.
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:16 am

Gimme Shelter - Wow. This movie is very raw and very real. I think it might technically qualify as a "Christian" movie, and as such I really appreciate that it's willing to really capture the reality of what goes on in this world that most Christians tend to turn a blind eye to. Because sin is real, wickedness is real, and pain is real. This movie grabbed that and shoved it in your face and said "what are you going to do about it?"
I never in a million years thought I would appreciate a movie that uses SPOILER: Highlight text to read: language and violence and sexual references. But the point was that it was real and it wasn't going to sugar coat the world and pretend that everything's peachy to avoid offending people. Whether we like it or not, that stuff is out there. And that's all the more reason to acknowledge it and face it so we can make a difference.
SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I really loved the way it handled abortion. Because there seems to be a very small number of people who are against abortion who actually care about the mother as much as the child. A lot of women who choose to have abortions are doing so for very hard, painful reasons. No, abortion isn't okay; but rather than rail against young women who are already hurting and broken and confused, I think it's really important to show the love of Christ and reach out to them.
And besides the plot being very good and very down-to-earth, the other aspects of the movie were very good as well. The settings, the pacing, the acting. It all flowed very well. I found myself completely drawn in by how real all the people seemed. The good wasn't plastic, the bad wasn't exaggerated. It was all so real. Cause like...you have Brendan Fraser and James Earl Jones. Of course they're gonna be good actors. But everyone, down to the random little kids, was good. I really appreciated that. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The lady who ran the home, especially. That is a very rare kind of person, and to have an actor who can portray such a unique personality so well amazes me.
My only complaint was that sometimes little things happened that didn't make sense. Like SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Why didn't she have money for a cab, but suddenly she was riding a Greyhound? What was the deal with Cassie? Did she have a baby, if not why was she never getting more pregnant throughout the movie? Why did the girls run around in the basement looking at stuff, and how did they never get caught for that? That never ended up leading anywhere.
But all in all, fantastic movie. Wow.

ClaecElric4God

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:57 pm

Speed Racer

I was not expecting to like this movie as much as I did, since it's based on such an old anime. Admittedly, the way they adapted it into a movie is a little weird - they chose to use a very cartoony, unrealistic style mingled with live action, I guess to hearken back to the old animation. Even though I don't care about car racing at all, the races were actually really exciting and fun (kind of like pod racing, I thought), and I was impressed with how they brought in the emotions and family dynamics that really made you care for Speed and want him to win. I even teared up at one point.

I also rewatched Arsenic and Old Lace and The Court Jester, two of my absolute favorite old comedies.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:13 pm

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

I mainly watched this movie in order to see a very young Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio. I think this is hands-down the very very best acting DiCaprio has ever done. While some of the content in this movie prevents me from recommending it wholeheartedly, I thought it was worth a watch. It's about an incredibly dysfunctional family trying to just survive, and about the oldest son who meets a girl and tries to crawl out of the miserable life he's stuck in.

I also rewatched Rope and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:50 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:What's Eating Gilbert Grape

I mainly watched this movie in order to see a very young Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio. I think this is hands-down the very very best acting DiCaprio has ever done. While some of the content in this movie prevents me from recommending it wholeheartedly, I thought it was worth a watch. It's about an incredibly dysfunctional family trying to just survive, and about the oldest son who meets a girl and tries to crawl out of the miserable life he's stuck in.

I watched this movie for the same reason. It was a good movie in some respects, but like you said, there's some content that definitely makes it...not exactly family-friendly. If I could go back I probably would not have watched it. While I liked the story, the content went a little too far for me a few times.

Also watched Guardians of the Galaxy. Haha, that was a really good, really funny movie. Super well done. I usually don't particularly care for superhero movies (which I guess this technically isn't anyways?), but I enjoyed this one. The Ranger Rick reference was probably my favorite part. Marvel outdid itself. (About time)

And Inside Out. *gasp* Kids movies shouldn't be allowed to be this deep. I actually teared up a couple times on this one. Wooooow. Really, really good movie.

ClaecElric4God

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:28 am

Finally got around to watching Legend of the Guardians (not to be confused with Rise of the Guardians or Guardians of the Galaxy :roll: ). It was really good! The animation was beautiful, the music was awesome, it was really fun to hear so many Australian accents, and the story was really gripping and interesting. I don't think I've ever seen such a good fantasy story featuring animals before. You could tell they'd done their research on how owls move and what the different species look like. You never forgot that they were owls, but it soon became more interesting and important to follow the epic story that was unfolding.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:50 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Finally got around to watching Legend of the Guardians (not to be confused with Rise of the Guardians or Guardians of the Galaxy :roll: ). It was really good! The animation was beautiful, the music was awesome, it was really fun to hear so many Australian accents, and the story was really gripping and interesting. I don't think I've ever seen such a good fantasy story featuring animals before. You could tell they'd done their research on how owls move and what the different species look like. You never forgot that they were owls, but it soon became more interesting and important to follow the epic story that was unfolding.

I liked it okay, but as a person who read the entire series when I was younger, watching 7 books get crammed into one 2-hour movie was frustrating. As a stand-alone story it was good (though I felt like if you didn't know what was going on ahead of time it would be really confusing), but I didn't like it in comparison to the books. But isn't that usually how it goes?

ClaecElric4God

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment