What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Re: What Movies are you Watching?

Postby CinniScrib » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Captain Harlock/Space Pirate Captain Harlock

Been looking for months for an uploaded subbed/dubbed version of this movie! Gotta love that Isola is Ezra and Yama is Logan in the dub.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Man wasn't expecting the Earth to be a giant lie. I mean you have to figure something is fishy when they're all "no one may touch this planet" There will always be ones who are 'exceptions to the rules' hence the elites/politicians who got to live there. Young Harlock though... *swoons* Poor guy! Wonder how he got his scar but at least we see how he loses an eye. Bummer. I was wondering why only the two bros got really hurt when Nami was with them too, then HELLO! Hologram projection of her consciousness! Meanwhile Ezra has the right to be upset, his brother's obsession caused him to loose use of his legs but he's just a revenge monster now. But he did good in the end even if he was still being stupid aka kill his brother.

As soon as Yama lost an eye I knew it had to signify something. Almost identical scar to Harlock? My first thought was "He's just like Harlock. The new Harlock." Nice way to hand off the Harlock mantle. Any time a new character has similar hair/face to the hero, it's time to guess it's passing the legacy on time. Classic move. Though it's obvious that Harlock was hurt and is now no longer immortal, at least he didn't out right die. He'll live a while longer, probably teaching Yama his ways. Though there will only ever be one Harlock, it was a good ending since it wasn't all *dying breath* "Be me now" but rather, sit back and watch.

Maybe we'll get a reboot series based on the movie, even though the tv show is a classic. (I only ever saw parts).

Needless to say, the designs and CGI were amazing. Not to go: MOGSH I CAN'T BELIEVE IT (Mind you all, I'm an Animation & Visual Effects student), but still nice to look at though parts of the movie could have been a bit better with consistency of style. Still in all: Good movie, even if you don't know the original story (Which I only know bits).

CinniScrib

Postby IPv4 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:37 am

I saw edge of tomorrow (a tom cruise movie) on the cinema with 3D-glasses. It was ok (warning for a lot of violence). I had really low expectations for it but Im glad that I watched it. However, this is probably a cinema movie which only should be seen on a CINEMA!! :P

Ironically I would probably not wanna watch this movie again since I know everything that happens now.

I give it 6 out of 5 toasts/points/whatever
IPv4

Postby Adie » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Watched Clue earlier while I was eating dinner. :) It was a very fun/enjoyable movie!
Adie

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Rewatched The Avengers, because I couldn't really remember everything that happened. It all made a lot more sense now that I've seen the first Thor and Captain America movies!

I also saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I really liked this one. Captain America has now gone from the stupidest superhero idea I've ever heard of...to the stupidest superhero idea with the best character I've ever heard of <3 He's awesome. I looooooooooved the gadgets in this movie - the Falcon, the mechanical arm.... Really good action scenes. I also liked the developments they made with S.H.I.E.L.D. That seemed like a daring thing to do.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GeneD » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:35 pm

I watched Pitch Perfect this weekend and it's scary how much I like it/have re-watched the musical numbers.
GeneD

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Saw The LEGO Movie. A very silly movie. Do not expect depth from it.

But it is high quality silliness; the younger kids will giggle at the wacky antics and the parents will get a few good chuckles form the references made.

I highly recommend it as a family movie.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:36 pm

MomentOfInertia wrote:Saw The LEGO Movie. A very silly movie. Do not expect depth from it.

But it is high quality silliness; the younger kids will giggle at the wacky antics and the parents will get a few good chuckles form the references made.

I highly recommend it as a family movie.

I just saw the LEGO Movie too! :D But I actually had the opposite reaction to it: It's a tremendously silly movie, but I do think there is a surprising amount of depth in it. There's actually a really beautiful allegorical message you can read into it, about how God created us to be creative beings (and I don't think that's too farfetched, since they do refer to the "Man Upstairs"). And even if you think that's asking too much when I'm pretty sure the creators weren't intending such a message, you can at least see a wonderful message about creativity and how you shouldn't worry if something seems stupid or useless - just try it out and see. I found the whole movie very encouraging and even inspiring, because the advice they give about building things can apply to any creative activity (story-writing, for me).

...And maybe this is just me, or maybe the movie just caught me in the right mood, but...the ending made me cry. Quite a lot, actually.

I love this movie and heartily recommend it to...yeah, just about anyone. It's hilarious, loads of fun, and also very encouraging. And very fun to see Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman as LEGOs :lol:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Recently, I've finally gotten around to watching the Iron Man trilogy. The first two were okay, and fun to watch, but the third one takes the cake. I don't think I've ever seen a superhero movie deal with PTSD before, but I thought this one did a really good job of it. It makes a very good follow-up to The Avengers, especially because I always was a little annoyed that Iron Man seemed so little affected by the huge battle they'd fought - especially the part that he had to play, which he barely survived. So Iron Man 3 was very satisfying as a follow-up.

I also watched X-Men: Days of Future Past. I...feel like I missed something somewhere along the line, though that might just be because I've only seen each X-Men movie once except for the first one, so I might just be forgetting something vital. As too often happens, the time travel leaves me scratching my head somewhat, but I'll let it slide because it's X-Men. Those powers were pretty hardcore :cool:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:28 am

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy. Wow, what an awesome ride. The actors must have been having the time of their lives. Outstanding from beginning to end. Groot and Rocket Raccoon were the best characters.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Mullet Death » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:34 am

Panda4christ:3 wrote:Though I won't deny seeing Godzilla SPOILER: Highlight text to read: shoot blue flames(?) and rip a giant moth's head off wasn't just a little bit mind-blowing XD (In a different sense, though).

That moment made the whole movie worth it; so awesome! Plus any time Godzilla roared was epic; if nothing else, the movie had great sound and visual effects.

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:00 pm

I've now seen two different movies of Mansfield Park, and nobody can seem to get Fanny Price right! :shady: I guess they're afraid she won't be interesting enough or something, so they change her personality to make her bolder and more opinionated, occasionally even changing the plot. :shake:
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kilvakar » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:53 pm

I recently watched Harlock: Space Pirate as well, having just finished the original anime series. I liked it, but I personally didn't like the plot twist near the end. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It just didn't make sense that Harlock was the one who ruined Earth, I mean, he's supposed to be Earth's protector!

Also got to see Guardians of the Galaxy with some of my best friends, and that movie is pure awesomeness!! :rock: Definitely one of my favorite Marvel movies, Starlord, Rocket and Groot are the best! But the whole movie was awesome all the way through. :grin:
Image Image
"Comrade isn't simply a word. Comrades are about heart. It's the unconditional trust in your partners. Please, fell free to lean on me...And I, too, will lean on you as well."---Mavis Vermillion, First Master of Fairy Tail

"There are people in this world who enjoy being alone, but there isn't a single person who can bear solitude."---Makarov Dreyar, Third Master of Fairy Tail
Kilvakar

Postby Sheenar » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:15 am

Recently watched The Producers (the one with Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel) --what a weird, but fun and hilarious movie. Loved it. :)

Went to a movie at the theater for the first time in over a year --saw The Hundred Foot Journey with my aunt, uncle, and a couple of family friends. Was a super cute and fun movie. Definitely one I will re-watch when it comes out on DVD.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:32 pm

Rewatched The LEGO Movie, which never gets old <3

I also watched Se7en, which I really liked. It's exactly the kind of serial killer thriller mystery thing that I go for. Even though it very justly deserved its R rating, I think they still handled the gore very tastefully. Plus, I mean...Morgan Freeman. He could make a phone book sound interesting ;)
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby LastLfan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Rewatched Scott pilgrim, such a good film
LastLfan

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:45 am

LastLfan wrote:Rewatched Scott pilgrim, such a good film

True words.

Watched Gravity, which was actually a pretty solid movie despite what I heard.

Also watched Seven Pounds which was pretty amazing :)
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby CinniScrib » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:14 am

Persona 3 the Movie 1: Spring of Birth

Haven't played any of the games but I have a friend that does and loves them so I figured I should at least check out the movie. They just released a sequel for P3 movie this year, but I don't think it's been subbed yet. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The main character/the player, Yuki Makoto, can be funny but he's seriously so apathetic most of the time it's annoying though thank God for some development. He just doesn't care/doesn't know how to respond but instead he says nothing which is fine but it drives me nuts when he just walks off or is all "idk". UGh. The point is he's never been around a place long enough to make connections, constantly shuffled around but seriously some parts were like: RESPOND INSTEAD OF JUST STANDING THERE. But at least he made friends in the end and realized that, which is why he went to save them, he was actually concerned.
If you wait near the very end of the movie you'll see a little clip of the kid in stripes introduce himself as Pharos and then another part with the other character awakening and the announcement for Part 2/#2 of the movie coming out Spring 2014. Come on subbers!

CinniScrib

Postby LastLfan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Rewatched exam, such a good suspense high concept film. Any suggestions?
LastLfan

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:17 pm

I finally got around to seeing How to Train Your Dragon 2, and loved it. It wasn't quite as good as the first one, of course, but as a sequel it was very good. I was legitimately surprised to discover that SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hiccup's mother was still alive, and that she was the creepy person with the horned helmet. That doesn't happen too often for me with kids' movies! Toothless and the baby dragons were absolutely adorable, of course, and I really like how they aged Hiccup a little. You can tell that he's still the awkward, geeky kid with the annoying voice that he used to be, but he's just that little bit older and more mature. All the romance was adorable and/or funny, and I found the main conflict genuinely compelling. I hope they don't make another sequel, because that would be taking it a little too far, but I really enjoyed this one.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby silvershock95 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:24 am

I watched Tyler Perry's Diary Of A Mad Black Woman last night, such a touching film! Funny too. Though I wasn't keen on how the ending played out SPOILER: Highlight text to read: when she married that other guy instead of sticking with her husband it had a very good theme of forgiveness. Also gotta love the singing in the Gospel(?) Churches! Very upbeat and a wonderful way to praise the Lord :D
silvershock95

Postby Sundown » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 pm

I should really sit down and finish watching Pacific Rim, but I can't seem to find the time.
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you will get neither." C.S. Lewis
Sundown

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:42 pm

I Heard the Owl Call My Name was an interesting little movie based on a book I had to read for a class. It's about a vicar who gets sent to minister to a Native American tribe, and how he learns their ways and kind of becomes a part of them. It definitely wasn't as good as the book, since it had to gloss over a lot of the complexities about their culture that I loved, but overall it was an okay adaptation.

Then on a whim I watched The Great Mouse Detective, which I hadn't seen for years and years. I understand it much more now that I'm familiar with Sherlock Holmes, and I love it even more than I did the first time I saw it!

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:07 am

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Then on a whim I watched The Great Mouse Detective, which I hadn't seen for years and years. I understand it much more now that I'm familiar with Sherlock Holmes, and I love it even more than I did the first time I saw it!

Aw, childhood memories. I need to watch that again, now that I'm like...old enough to actually comprehend what's going on. :lol:
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:12 pm

In honor of the day, I watched...Halloween! :D Beautiful camera work, wonderful suspense. I actually jumped a few times. Could have done with less sex, and less stupid :/ Also, I've decided that Jamie Lee Curtis has the most annoying voice ever. But overall, a great horror movie with a wonderful, creeping sense of horror. And I liked not knowing for sure whether there's something supernatural going on or not.

I also watched a really interesting Korean horror movie called Muoi: Legend of a Portrait. It's about a cursed spirit trapped in a portrait, trying to get revenge on those who wronged her. Like other Asian horror movies I've seen, it seems to focus on how the curse continues, passing on from one person to the next. Very creepy, and it all unfolds very nicely.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kaori » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 pm

I Confess (Hitchcock, 1953). I heard about this film because I was reading an article online written by a Catholic priest about the seal of confession, and he mentioned this movie. He said that as a priest he was in agony for the main character, and that piqued my interest. I wasn't in agony while watching this, probably because I am not a priest, but I did highly enjoy the movie.

The premise is that a parishioner confesses an act of murder to a Catholic priest, and the priest is subsequently framed for the murder. Although the priest knows all the details of the crime and could easily acquit himself by telling what he heard in the confessional, he can't say a single thing in his defense because the seal of confession is absolute.

The first two-thirds or so of the film were intellectually engaging, as it was interesting to watch how everything conspired together to make it seem as if the priest were the murderer. The latter part of the film, from the trial scene onwards, was satisfyingly gripping. The film had some really excellent cinematography and use of symbolic imagery, and in the end it came across to me as a very strong vindication of a man acting with utter integrity and love for his enemy when faced with a variety of difficult temptations (and there are some great parallels made between Fr. Logan and Christ). Although he's a fictional character, I found myself strongly admiring Fr. Logan and his unflinching stand for what he believed in.

So, has anybody else seen this? If so, I'm curious about what other people's thoughts are.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Hellboy - Loved this. Just so, so much <3.

The Hunger Games Mocking Jay : Part 1 - Pretty good. Not what I'm used to from Hunger Games, but I wasn't disappointed.
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:10 pm

I've gotten to watch quite a few movies over Thanksgiving break :grin:

The Last Unicorn - I wanted to watch this again, needing something to scratch that ever-present fantasy itch. I still like it, though movies made in the '80s were weird.

Cellular - A fun action flick about a guy trying to save a kidnapped woman while not letting their phone call get dropped. It gets quite tense at times when you suddenly realize that what are normally just annoyances are actually life-or-death in this situation. It was also a plus to see Chris Evans in something not Captain-America-related.

Meet the Robinsons - I'd seen this before, years ago, but I decided to watch it again. I liked it much more the second time around, but it'll never be a favorite by any means.

The Last Samurai - This is always worth a rewatch :thumb: This movie was actually what hooked me on Japanese culture; I saw it before I got into anime.

Twilight Samurai - The perfect movie to watch right after The Last Samurai ;) It's another story about honor and living and dying well, but on a much quieter, more ordinary level. It's also just jaw-droppingly awesome to watch Hiroyuki Sanada pull off the two sword fights in the movie and know that he's actually doing that. No stunt doubles or movie magic or anything.

Les Choristes - I will never tire of this movie, if only because the boys singing in this movie have the voices of freaking angels.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby artisticDreamer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Just saw Big Hero 6. I'm not sure what I should think about it... yeah I don't really form opinions on anything.
artisticDreamer

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:06 am

Rigoletto - Not a terribly impressive movie, but a fun little retelling of Beauty and the Beast, set during (I think?) the Great Depression.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby EventualDay » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:25 am

artisticDreamer wrote:Just saw Big Hero 6. I'm not sure what I should think about it... yeah I don't really form opinions on anything.

I saw that! Personally, I found it pretty predictable--seems like it mixes every Marvel and Shounen trope in one little movie, haha. :P But I loved it thematically. Probably because first, Asian characters in an animated movie, and in my opinion they were designed really well. And second, SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was really impressed that the themes of loss kept coming back in the movie. Most kids' movies have people dying, then the main characters are sad about it for all of one song (Frozen comes to mind). But thematically speaking I appreciated how the death in Big Hero 6 actually had long-lasting repercussions.
EventualDay

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment