What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Re: What Movies are you Watching?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat May 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Rewatched the Death Note movies, which will never get old <3

I also saw an old, over-the-top musical called Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, which is about seven brothers who all decide they need wives...and so they go out and grab them and take them home. Rather funny, very exaggerated.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SierraLea » Sat May 18, 2013 9:34 pm

I ended up watching a lot of the blueray extras on the Lord of the Rings with my oldest younger sister. Some of them are really funny and interesting, like the small fact that the actor for Eragorn has kissed at least five male members of the cast, including the actor for Pippen!
SierraLea

Postby Rewin » Sun May 19, 2013 6:56 am

I am almost finished re-watching Serenity but my daughter woke up so hopefully I will be able to finish it later. In the meantime it seems she aims to misbehave, so I must go rescue the house from her amazing destructive powers.
Rewin

Postby SierraLea » Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 am

I watched Super Eight with my dad last night. If not for that last bit, the "thing" would probably have given me some serious nightmares.
SierraLea

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Flightplan - Finally got to knock this one off the list. It was an okay sort of thriller, about a child abduction on an airplane. It was cool to see a movie that deals so closely with the airplanes I'm so familiar with, and I thought they did a pretty good job of portraying what an extremely long flight is like. The plot itself was just sort of average, but the main attraction of the movie was Sean Bean <3
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Beautiful Creatures. It was meh...i didn't care much for the male lead and i felt like their were parts of the plot that didn't go anywhere >.>

Edit: Also, the portrayal of christianity was just...
Nobody prays like that -_-...
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby SierraLea » Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Saw Hookwinked Too! One of the worst sequels ever. Who on earth wrote that script? I wonder if they ever wrote a decent story in their life.
SierraLea

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sun May 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Rise of the Guardians

A decent coming of age tale in a fantasy setting.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 31, 2013 7:47 pm

I rewatched Serenity, since I just finished rewatching Firefly. As before, I like it, though I think this finale of the story would have been ten times more awesome if they'd actually been allowed to unfold it in a TV show format. The injuries also feel a bit pointless, whereas injuries in the show always held some sort of significance to the plot of the episode, at least.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SierraLea » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Rewatching Rise of the Guardians. I see a lot of similarities between Jack Frost and Naruto.
SierraLea

Postby MomentOfInertia » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Wreck It Ralph

Better than I expected, a decent "find your path" sort of story. Kind of like Toy Story for an arcade.
Decent overall.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:18 am

In the past few weeks, I've rewatched the Harry Potter movies. Good stuff, good stuff.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby KnightOfFive » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:25 am

Watching Harry Potter for the first time, not bad at all.
KnightOfFive

Postby GeneD » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:41 am

I watched Hugo last weekend, which was very pretty and a good story overall. Still didn't completely sell me on Asa Butterfield so I remain nervous about Ender's Game.
GeneD

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:44 am

Disconnect, a movie about how inter-connectedness through the internet and technology can lead to less social cohesion. It is well made and well acted, but not a cheerful movie.
bigsleepj

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Spring Breaker. While not a film for everyone, I seriously doubt its a film for anyone here, it really took me by surprise. Its a really simple film on the surface but really weaves a story about the four girls finding themselves amidst the drugs and sex. Its a controversial film, and a film that I won't talk about much here due to the content.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 am

White House Down. Fun, old-style Die Hard movie, but not perfect.
bigsleepj

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:09 pm

Pooh's Grand Adventure. :)
mysngoeshere56

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:56 pm

TMNT - After I finished watching this, I turned to the friend who showed it to me and sobbed on her shoulder, "WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE NINJA TURTLES?! :waah!:" Because the only thing that keeps this movie from being completely awesome is how stupid the whole concept of ninja turtles is. But if you can manage to stand that, it's actually a really great movie about brotherhood - my favorite kind of story ;) There's some cool action scenes, and the animation is just gorgeous.

I also rewatched the Rurouni Kenshin, Death Note, and Prince of Persia movies, which are always loads of fun.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Sanderson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:59 am

Watched Blade Runner a few nights ago, one of my favorite movies.
Sanderson

Postby Atria35 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Going through everything horror on Netflix.

Most recently it was 'Purification'.

..... If that is some strange way of saying pure crud, then they got it right. The actors are either incredibly stiff or overplayed (except for the lead). It's far too dream-sequence logic, which makes no sense where the storyline is concerned. They used the novel technique of giving the cast their lines the day of shooting and it shows (in all the bad ways that this sentence can imply. So terrible). It's incredibly lackluster. Dang what a bad movie. It had a good premise but was all downhill from there.

White - a Japanese horror film, and while not great, was far more than decent. It was rather like The Ring in how the curse of the song worked, but I rather liked how it all played out.
Atria35

Postby sandalwood » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:00 pm

I just watched Star Trek: Into Darkness, and I thought it was GREAT!

Raises a few questions regarding the Wrath of Kahn, but was wonderful nonetheless!

Also, hi guys. I haven't been here in a while...
sandalwood

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:10 am

Last night I saw The White Balloon directed by Jafar Panahi.

I'm very impressed. It's not this feel-good movie like some people thought, because all these adults on the streets of Iran are too pre-occupied with their own nonsense to help this 7-year-old girl attend to the urgent matter of buying a goldfish on New Years Eve. But along comes an Afghani youth—he appears to be of the Hazaras minority no less!—as he becomes the Good Samaritan with a resourceful solution in the last ten minutes.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:31 pm

I just watched Sans Soleil directed by Chris Marker.

Always a personal favorite of mine. This documentary is full of information on Japanese media culture, ranging from manga and anime, horror, religion, sexuality, politics, art, philosophy, video games, and computers. Something of a symbolic follow-up to his film A Grin Without a Cat, Sans Soleil portrays scenes from Japan and Northern Africa as they function at "two extreme poles of survival" in a very thoughtful video essay to present an alternative history of the future.
GhostontheNet

Postby PandaPop » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:13 am

I just re-watched Unbreakable, forgot how much I loved it, such a good movie!

Also saw Elisium, I honestly wasn't impressed.
PandaPop

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:00 am

Last night I watched Sanjuro directed by Akira Kurosawa.

I can see why my dad termed this film The Seven Stooges the first time I saw it about a decade ago. Back then I thought it was another director's satire of Kurosawa, but it is in fact Kurosawa's satire of samurai cliches. In this regard, Toshiro Mifune is cast as the offbeat ronin who calls the tune as the nine samurai are hopelessly lost in the power struggles between the Superintendent and the Chamberlain.
GhostontheNet

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 pm

High and Low

A classic Akira Kurosawa crime drama starring Toshiro Mifume. A businessman named Gondo puts together a deal of a lifetime that would make him gain control of the company he works for, only to get a call from someone telling him they have kidnapped his son and that he must pay a king's ransom to get back. It turns out, however, that the kidnappers got the son of his chauffeur. The first act of the movie is mostly a social drama exploring how feudal class divisions still remain, to a degree, alive in 20th century Japan. Gondo struggles with a deeply personal question: why was he willing to pay the money for his son and not for his chauffeur? The second half is an intriguing, gritty and realistic procedural about the police attempting to track down the kidnappers. It also explores the effect the kidnapping has on the chauffeur, but oddly keeps Gondo (the most interesting / central character) at arms length. Despite being too long by 20 minutes it is still a pretty good movie.

GhostontheNet wrote:Last night I watched Sanjuro directed by Akira Kurosawa.

I can see why my dad termed this film The Seven Stooges the first time I saw it about a decade ago. Back then I thought it was another director's satire of Kurosawa, but it is in fact Kurosawa's satire of samurai cliches. In this regard, Toshiro Mifune is cast as the offbeat ronin who calls the tune as the nine samurai are hopelessly lost in the power struggles between the Superintendent and the Chamberlain.

Sanjuro is great. Its not as excellent as Yojimbo but it has a charm of its own. I enjoy watching it every now and again.
bigsleepj

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:00 pm

bigsleepj wrote:High and Low

A classic Akira Kurosawa crime drama starring Toshiro Mifume....

I haven't seen any of Kurosawa's post-War Film Noir works yet. The closest to that I've seen to them is Ikiru, which has some related themes, but doesn't count. In terms of American cinema and history, Hollywood pulled something of a P.R. hat trick that is documented in the Discovery Military channel's documentary Mafia vs. KKK. In the first decades of the 20th century, the American public really liked the KKK's brand of domestic terrorism, making mega-blockbusters out of films like The Birth of a Nation and Gone With the Wind as they presented Klansman as knightly guardians of old-fashioned Southern feudal chivalry. But with the advent of the gangster picture during the Prohibition and Great Depression, you see their cultural rivals the Mafia reinvented as ambiguous anti-heroes trying to reclaim the American dream in a state of domestic warfare (i.e. Scarface: The Shame of the Nation as the surplus of machine guns from World War I hits the streets of Chicago). As the Klansmen are portrayed more unsympathetically in film and media into the 50's and beyond, this helps to engender a culture-shift in American values.

One of the positive functions of Mafiosi is that they have been a concealed brute force protecting statements of cosmopolitan values against the threat of reactionary violence (i.e. when the KKK would show up at a Jazz concert). To be sure, gangster films after the New Hollywood tend to be filled with a stream of racist epithets, as other ethnicities signal rival gangs. And their rigid organization echoes something of feudalism, corporatism, and police forces. But I think gangster films tend to be about a wider cultural struggle for a society governed by cosmopolitan values. One becomes a gangster in these films because the society is a fraud only chumps believe in, and someone has to stand up for an alternative. One battles a gangster on behalf of the values of a progressive mudraker, as they used to say, even if the method is kung fu. To watch something like The Godfather films or Goodfellas, what this situation most reminds me of is the client-patron system that supported the Renaissance against the backlash from vestiges of the feudal order. I think that what these films offer is a vision of how an underground culture has reconciled the imperatives of tradition and cosmopolitanism, which is of course a major concern of Asian cinema.

Sanjuro is great. Its not as excellent as Yojimbo but it has a charm of its own. I enjoy watching it every now and again.

I haven’t seen Yojimbo yet, but I probably will. I think the boldness and charm of Sanjuro stems from its willingness to portray Japanese feudalism as something ludicrous, and certainly not worth nostalgia. Thematically, Kurosawa has always had a thing for human stupidity. Mifune’s ronin has achieved perspective because he has stepped outside the prescribed roles. Conversely, the samurai are naive and impulsive to a fault, while the court ladies are not very good at escaping in a timely manner. But the latter are educated, and they offer a counter-perspective on violence, anticipating the theme of the sword and sheath in Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. I like the running gag about the guard they capture, who ultimately defects to offer unexpected perspective and insight. The women free him in humanitarian naivety, for which he dutifully stays in their hideout. The men confine him to an offscreen room out of principle, from which he occasionally emerges to say something important. Beneath the comedy and action, Sanjuro has an interesting recurring subtext of the concept of trust.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:09 am

Tonight I watched Hiroshima Mon Amour directed by Alain Resnais.

Victor Frankl is famous for the quote: “Since Auschwitz we know what man is capable of. And since Hiroshima we know what is at stake.” As a Left Bank auteur of the French New Wave, Alain Resnais was one of the first filmmakers to take up that challenge. While he recognizes a similarity between the images of the Holocaust he had documented in Night and Fog and those of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, he ingeniously realizes the story of the destruction and reconstruction of Hiroshima should be told as a love story. The story goes that a French actress filming an anti-war picture has a one-night stand with a Japanese man, and is surprised by the level of intimacy they quickly reach. With the time of her departure at hand, they must come to a deeper understanding of matters of love and war. Hiroshima Mon Amour is one of those films that is sexy because of its intelligent conversational tête-à-tête.
GhostontheNet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Due to an unprecedented instance of insomnia, I decided to watch the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice, and then followed it up with Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility movie, and the Kiera Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice. Wow, I'd really forgotten how inferior the acting is in the later version :shake: I mean, it's okay and all, and I certainly like some of the things they added to the story, but...after Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, everyone in the newer movie just seemed so flat and bland.
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment