Tim burtons new film!

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Tim burtons new film!

Postby Lufkin777 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:15 am

Big Fish is Tim Burtons new fillm, and it looks really good! Check it out on Apple.com in the quicktime section. And its been said that he is also remaking williy wanka. ;) Which is going to be based more on the book. (Alot darker) :thumb:
"We dont see things as they are, we see them as we are."
Anais Nin
Lufkin777

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:00 pm

I wanna see Big Fish...It has my favorite actor in it :P

Willy Wonka remake...sounds interesting.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:58 pm

Um... I don't see how he can be closer to the book than the original movie... I mean, most of the movie (from the stage play) was word for word... Willy Wonka is about the most faithful adaptation I've ever seen... I think I can name off all the differences:

1. The Umpa Loompa songs were different... In the book, they were much longer and a little more, well I thought they were sadistic, but I guess I just didn't get it... (who could resist a bit of fudge... I did love that line...)

2. The scene on the boat was longer, and I don't think there was anything about frightening imagery... There were a couple of rooms they passed on the boat with experimental candy, such as "The square candy that looks round" I liked that little part, but it would have just looked cheesy in the movie...

3. Also, I think that the guy who was bribing everyone was made up in the movie, but i forget...

4. The biggest change was the room the spoiled girl went too... Instead of golden eggs, it was golden acorns, and instead of geese it was squirrels... And she got on the weighing machine and fell to the incinerator and Willy Wonka said "Bad Nut" I guess they changed it because it sounds funnier to an american to say "Bad Egg"

5... oops, forgot, I suppose this is a major plot point, because adding this in the movie ruined Dahls intentions (actually, making it a movie at all ruined part of his intention... It was apparent from this book he HATED movies and TV, he thought they were ruining society...)and that was in the book, Charlie didn't get in trouble... He didn't drink the fizzy lifting drink... In fact, I don't even think the stuff was in this book, though it was in another book he wrote, BFG. A similar thing happend with Disney's "Alice in Wonderland" where they got two books mixed up (Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass)

The "morals" of the book were more broad... ALL gum chewing was wrong, ALL tv watching was bad, Charlie bucket, the poor kid with the heart of gold, never did anything wrong because he was the example of what you should be; the perfect role model. Don't chew gum, don't watch TV, Be a good kid and kind and all of that...

I guess he could make it more closely with the book, but I don't see a point in it... Willy Wonka is a classic, and to tamper with something like that is calling trouble on yourself... You said something about it being darker? Well, kids don't really notice, but I notice watching it now it was dark enough... Some of the humor in the movie (taht came from the book) was very dark... The only thing darker in the book was the Author's serious distaste for brats... It seemed a bit more comical in the movie, but in the book they REALLY WERE going to turn the fat kid into fudge, and they REALLY WERE going to flatten that girl and stretch out that boy and all of that...

The book is rediculously short, I read it all in under 2 hours...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Orange Kitten » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:58 am

Lufkin777 wrote:Big Fish is Tim Burtons new fillm, and it looks really good!

Definitely has the imagination of Tim Burton. Hope this one does better than his recent movies. Looks closer to the style of Beetlejuice/Ewardscissorhands (my fav movies by him)
Hope the story matches it's visuals.
"Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish" - The Boondock Saints

"Man creates dolls in his own image. If God exists, it's possible that we're all just dolls to him." - Evangelion (episode 22)

AMV.org Profile
Orange Kitten

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:47 am

I get it... It's called big fish because the father's story is grandiose and exaggerated and very fictional, just like the big fish stories... It looks interesting... I loved Edward Scissorhands, so I'm looking forward to this... I don't know about Charlie and the Chocolate factory, though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Return to General Entertainment