What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Re: What Movies are you Watching?

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Kaori wrote:That's a lot of Hitchcock there. What did you think of I Confess?

Yeah, I was on a bit of a...Hitchkick *badum bum tish!* :bootout:

*cough* I really liked I Confess - it was a fascinating premise, of a priest being suspected of murder because he can't reveal what he knows about the murder since it was revealed to him in confession. I thought it would have been more suspenseful if the audience didn't know the priest was innocent right from the start, but then I'm not exactly sure how you'd work that out. Maybe if everything was from the police's POV or something. Not my favorite Hitchcock movie, but still a good one.

Well, I finally got around to watching The Hunger Games (because I was busy with college during the height of this fandom, I decided to wait until all the movies were out before getting started). I can certainly see why it's so popular, though I have major problems with the Hunger Games themselves. (Even setting aside a couple of logical issues, I would much rather have seen something like Liar Game, where the rules are given exhaustively at the beginning and then all the contestants have to work within those rules to become the only winner, rather than the ones running the game just changing the rules willy-nilly whenever they feel like it.) At first I wasn't sure I liked Jennifer Lawrence (lookswise; her acting is fine)...but then she smiled. And she's beautiful when she smiles. And I've been a huge Josh Hutcherson fan for years, so it was definitely a plus to see him - though I do not think he pulls off blond hair very well >_< I think my favorite thing about this movie is that, while I don't know if it's a good adaptation or not (having never read the books), it's a pretty good movie in its own rights. And that's an achievement to be proud of for any book-to-movie adaptation.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kaori » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 pm

I Confess is actually the only Hitchcock film I have seen, but although it has its problems and obviously isn't perfect, I liked it quite a bit, so I'm glad to hear you also enjoyed it.

Occasionally I think about maybe watching some other Hitchcock films, but I don't have a particular interest in the thriller/suspense genre and such, and most of my interest in and enjoyment of I Confess was tied to the premise and the themes that were explored: the moral dilemma of a priest who has a dilemma between protecting the secrecy of the sacrament of confession and saving his life; the integrity of the main character, his commitment to the priestly vocation, his self-sacrificing love; the parallels drawn between the priest and Christ; the religious symbolism; and so on. So as classic as they are, I just don't think that Hitchcock's other movies would have the same interest to me.
BlogMAL

“Leave your heart, and look into the face of Christ.” -Andrew Murray
Kaori

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:11 pm

Just watched Last Knights. My thoughts, from the first time I saw the trailer to now, are: "Epic sword fights + Morgan Freeman = YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU." :cool:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby John_Smith » Sat May 14, 2016 11:11 pm

Captain America: Civil War. Go team Capt! But Black Panther managed to be amazing. Move over Spiderman!
John_Smith

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue May 17, 2016 2:50 am

My roommate has introduced me into a genre I never thought I would partake in: romance comedy. I get the feeling I should be appalled or depressed that I've actually found that I like it. We watched She's the Man, which I absolutely loved, and laughed a little bit too much.

On the other hand, finding things she likes is quite the challenge. Plus finding things that aren't PG-25 is a little difficult anymore. I did manage to introduce her to Father of the Bride, which she loved. The last time I watched it was with my family when I was like 5, so I didn't remember it at all. It was fun and a little ironic, because both the first and the second hit really close to home for me. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: My dad is not only notorious for pretty much freaking out whenever any guy comes into the lives of me or my sisters (Part 1), but he also had some of us kids pretty late in life (Part 2). When me and my dad go out to eat people always mistake him as my grandpa!

Does anyone have good suggestions for things that fit into the genre/same general concept or setting as Father of the Bride, Cheaper by the Dozen, etc?
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat May 28, 2016 9:30 am

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR ALSDGJSDLKGJDF:GKJSFL:KSDJGLASFKS:DLGJASDGL:KJSDFL:SDKF *dies*

There are no words. I am obsessed, and loving it.

Other movies I've seen recently:
Elysium
Law-Abiding Citizen
Ex Machina
Locke
Saving Grace

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:31 pm

I've recently seen the Zootopia movie. I thought it looked kinda corny at first from the trailers, but then it surprised me with the message it delivered and the depth it had. As usual, the visuals were good for a Disney movie. It was also pretty funny as well!
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”-Oscar Wilde

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby Thunderscream872 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:51 pm

Captain America Civil War - 8/10. Team Iron Man all the way!
X-Men Apocalypse - 7/10. Pretty good.
Batman v Superman 4/10...yeah, I didn't really care for it.
"NO BLOOD! NO BONE! NO ASH!"

“I don’t take orders from anybody. If there’s something I wanna do, I do it. If there’s something I don’t wanna do, I don’t do it. That’s the dandy way to live, and I’m Dandy. Do you get it?” - Space Dandy

MyAnimeList - Anime-Planet - A room with a moose
Thunderscream872

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:58 pm

Thunderscream872 wrote:Captain America Civil War - 8/10. Team Iron Man all the way!

<_< ........ >_> Team Cap 100000000000000000000000%

I've recently watched Shadow of a Doubt, another good Hitchcock movie. After Earth was actually pretty good - the only good M. Night Shyamalan movie I've seen in a long time :sweat: And then I watched the Warcraft movie, which was awesome for a big Warcraft fan like me.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:27 pm

I saw Finding Dory! I thought it was pretty good, but nothing could come against the original one. I felt Dory was kinda funny here, but she was much more random and hilarious in the previous one. Overall, pretty good movie :D

“Books change us. Books save us. I know this because it happened to me.”Elif Shafak

"Don't stop unbelieving, never give into your unfeelings"-Mabel Pines, Gravity Falls
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:23 pm

A quick list of the movies I've seen since my last post:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Here Comes the BOOM
The Hunger Games (all)
Man on a Ledge
The Martian
Crimson Peak
The Book of Eli
Star Trek Beyond
Gallipoli
I Am Not a Serial Killer
Empire of the Sun
Concussion
The Scorch Trials

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SierraLea » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:38 pm

I just saw the live-action Beauty and the Beast a few days ago. It's gorgeous and brilliant transition from animation to live-action and the new musical numbers are breathtaking.
SierraLea

Postby Furen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:11 pm

I just watched Mean Girls again.
I've watched it before, but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention before. I knew it was funny before, but not remembering it was great.
ImageImageImage

I'll give you ten percent if you start sacrificing lambs for my sin, mate! - Nagata
Furen

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Also saw the new Beauty and the Beast recently! Loved it! Totally unnecessary, but completely awesome, remake XD Other movies I've seen in the interim:

Interstellar
Finding Dory
X-Men: Apocalypse
Gravity
Criminal
6-4
Pompeii
Notorious
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Moana
Ladyhawke
Cinderella (most recent live-action version)
Rogue One
Saving Mr. Banks
Total Recall
Taking Chance
In the Heart of the Sea
Jane Eyre (William Hurt version)
A Dog's Purpose
LEGO Batman
Doctor Strange

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Mon May 08, 2017 4:11 pm

I saw Beauty and the Beast ^.^ Such a excellent remake and definitely fixed some plot-holes and added more depth to the characters, with the back story and such. I actually don't mind Disney making live action remakes, as long as they make them differ enough from the original and fix problems with it.

I also saw Rogue One. While it was enjoyable and so much more original than The Force Awakens, character development was almost non-existence (Except for maybe Jyn Erso and Cassian) and other characters felt kind of useless. If it didn't have Star Wars attached to it, it probably wouldn't be so critically acclaimed and successful.

SincerelyAnomymous

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat May 13, 2017 9:01 pm

^It also had absolutely astounding visual effects. I still can't believe they didn't get an Oscar for that, because they more than deserved it :wow!:

Movies I've seen recently:

Gifted - The heart-wrenching and beautiful tale of a man raising his niece, who is gifted especially in mathematics, and the custody battle he ends up in the middle of. Ugh, I cried so much because of Chris Evans and his stupid wonderful acting abilities :sniffle:

All the Way - The story of Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency and the passing of the Civil Rights Act. I didn't particularly like it; it focused more on presidential politicking than I liked, and had too many old white men pontificating, rather than focusing on the issue at hand, I thought. Anthony Mackie made a great MLK, though :thumb:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Much like the first one, this was fun and full of dazzling action and beautiful CG and lots of laughs, but nothing terribly deep that will stick with me for very long. I did think Chris Pratt's acting has improved over the years, though.

The Impossible - Oh my goodness, this movie was hard to get through. Not because it's bad, oh no. This movie was so well done, and all the actors did such a great job (especially Ewan McGregor and Tom Holland - this was Tom Holland's on-screen debut, and it's just about the best debut I think I've ever seen). But it's so realistic that it's kind of hard to watch. It's based on the true story of a family who went through the tsunami in Thailand back in 2004. It follows their experiences through the event itself, and how they struggled to survive and find each other again. A beautiful, gritty movie.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous

Return to General Entertainment