religious higher education

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

religious higher education

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:59 pm

Anyone else with similar links feel free to post here. I know some of you may be contemplating this sort of thing so I posted some links here from my own university (admittedly more useful if you live in Canada):

McMaster Department of Religious Studies:
http://www.socsci.mcmaster.ca/relstud/

McMaster Divinty College:
http://divinity.mcmaster.ca/about

The university I attend originally started out as a Baptist divinity school in the late 19th century. The seminary is still part of the campus, although McMaster is also now one of Canada's premiere research universities (plug, plug). It still focusses on Baptist thought, but it's more or less ecumenically protestant.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:30 pm

How do you mean, places with divinity schools/seminaries, or Christian universities with graduate school offerings in any subject area?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:28 pm

Either really, I don't think I had too clear of an intent for my original post. The main thrust I suppose is towards those universities that offer programs relating to religious studies or the ministry.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jul 12, 2003 9:22 pm

Hmm, okay, well, here's one for Nazarene Theological Seminary:

http://www.nts.edu/

I can't remember if Point Loma Nazarene University has them (oldphil/Eire might be able to look in one of the old Mascots) but

http://www.ptloma.edu/
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to Computing and Links