Image Hosting in the 21st Century

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Image Hosting in the 21st Century

Postby ClosetOtaku » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:57 pm

So, for the first time in a decade, I am without a hosting site for a couple dozen images that I've maintained on the Net. This was a deliberate choice: the expense of the domain names, plus $25 a month for the actual web hosting with SpeakEasy/MegaPath/Global Capacity, simply wasn't worth it. So I let my domain names expire, and canceled my hosting contract this afternoon.

The number of images I maintain is very small, and of no particular consequence: if I never put them up again, I doubt a dozen people on the planet would notice. But I feel somewhat irresponsible leaving a gaping whole where an image once was in a board post (including some here at CAA).

So, citizens of the Net, CAA denizens: I'm looking for a no-cost (or very low-cost) alternative. Presumably I could put them on Flickr or DeviantArt and link from there. I hear Tumblr is a sort of rough neighborhood, so I might not be inclined to go there. Otherwise, suggestions? Advice? I basically want one location where I can upload and manage images easily, link easily, and pay nothing (or next-to-nothing) for the privilege.

Any ideas appreciated!
ClosetOtaku

Re: Image Hosting in the 21st Century

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:34 pm

I usually use photobucket.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Xeno » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 pm

http://www.imgur.com allows you to host images publicly or privately. You have an option on if you want to submit images to the regular gallery or not. It has tons of bandwidth, I've posted images hosted there to forums with thousands of active daily users without it having an issue. The UI is very nice and easy to get through. It's precisely what you're looking for.
Xeno

Postby Furen » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:11 pm

I like photobucket. You can use direct links, you can password protect, and manage files quite easily too.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby ClosetOtaku » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:52 pm

Much appreciated. Hopefully the images will be re-posted in a couple days. I'm going to play with both interfaces and see which one is more suited to my style. Thank you!!
ClosetOtaku

Return to Computing and Links