My laptop linux

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

My laptop linux

Postby Broly Ultimatrix » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 pm

So I just installed linux on a laptop I use for school and wanted to see what else I should get. I'm using the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS OS and the computer is mostley for writing documents and watching videos with some gaming thrown in so my questions are:

Should I get a specific program from office type stuff or stick with the Libra set. I want to be able to save in every format.

Other then VLC and the Plugins packs for Youtube and my videos should I get anything else for viewing videos and possibly editing them?

What cool Linux Based computer gamesshould I get. I like roleplaying games though anything with a Plot or general storyline to follow will likley peek my interest. Also any puzzle games like Portal or Cogs or things of that nature are also high on my like list.
Broly Ultimatrix

Re: My laptop linux

Postby Valkaiser » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Libreoffice: check
VLC: I don't really use it, but you should be fine there. check
Games: I don't play a lot of games, but Arx Fatalis is a fun (if dated) rpg that has a linux port.
...and don't forget NetHack (classic free roguelike)! :D
Valkaiser

Postby skreyola » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm

Sorry for replying so late, but I don't guess there are many people here who would know about these things, so...

Libre or Open Office is what I'd recommend for documents and stuff.
For watching videos, I use Kaffeine, but if you like VLC, that's fine, too.
For games, I recommend these (these package names will probably work in synaptic on Ubuntu, but I'm running Debian, so I can't say for sure): einstein (logic game), hex-a-hop (puzzle game), sgt-puzzles (Simon Tatham's puzzle games, a good variety including bridges, sudoku, and lights out, among many others), and xshisen (tile game).

Hope that helps.
"Click click click. Still defective."
MAL: Manga List
Anime List
skreyola

Postby RefractedAhav » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:31 pm

You can do basic video editing in Blender. I don't know if Jashaka ever really took off but it looked rather promising. I did find a list of five editors that might be worth looking into
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/top5-linux ... -software/
I am not sure if adobe premier would work in wine or not but I think it's worth a try if you have a valid license.
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Return to Computing and Links