Favorite Programming Languages

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Favorite Programming Languages

Postby aliveinHim » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I dunno if there's a thread already on this but what are y'alls fav languages? I'm still a beginner self-taught programmer but C++ is my fav. I do markup languages (which don't really count but who cares) like HTML and CSS for web pages. I've learned a teeny bit of Javascript too. I've programmed games in Batch Script too :).
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby johnaze » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:15 am

I have to say C# for me, but probably only just because that's the one i'm working the most with. I do know java, html, css, javascript, but yeah i don't work with them as much as i would like to.

Currently developing a 2D game for iOS, WP and Android using XNA these days. Kinda hoping that i can get it released before the end of the year:)
johnaze

Postby aliveinHim » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:27 am

I'm going to try to make an app for my work place over the summer. Making simple games is a lot of fun but it's sad when there's a bug in the code :(.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Sammy Boy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:25 am

I would say Perl but it's been years since I did anything with it.

Javascript is my next thing (if that counts), but most of my work hours these days is spent in meetings and writing documentation. :|
Sammy Boy

Postby johnaze » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:27 am

aliveinHim (post: 1590952) wrote:I'm going to try to make an app for my work place over the summer. Making simple games is a lot of fun but it's sad when there's a bug in the code :(.

Oh yeah! that can be so fustrating at times! Especially if you know something is wrong, but the IDE is not helping much on telling what the error could be :bang:
johnaze

Postby Warrior4Christ » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:22 am

I like C++ the most, because you can do the most (in my mind) with it. There's things you can express in C++ that you simply can't in Java, which can be frustrating, or leave you hoping the optimiser will pick it up and hopefully make it efficiently. (Java is the language I know second best.)
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Technomancer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:12 am

For anything that doesn't require a Windows GUI, I'd go with C++, if does, I would use C#. Also, ADI assembly language is way better to work with than TI's.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Mithrandir » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Well, there are several here who have a percent for Perl. I would be one of them. Actually, I occasionally teach Perl at the community college where I work, so I admit up front that I'm biased. ;) And, of course, the drummer in my band knows quite a bit about the language too. ^.^
Mithrandir

Postby Furen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:22 pm

I think I liked C++ best from the ones I kind of know (I know nothing about graphics or loading/saving for any language)

I was forced to use Python, and I didn't find it bad (but again, perl fans will be trashing me :P feel free, I don't mind)

and I had to use Turing (I didn't like that)

We were also so close to learning Java, which would have been cool to try.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby AnimeSpriter7.4 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:53 pm

c++ is to advance for me but i know a few tricks, i don't favorite python but it is pretty much the only language i know
AnimeSpriter7.4

Re: Favorite Programming Languages

Postby RefractedAhav » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:39 pm

I am pretty much a total newb at coding but the languages I have dabbled in currently are python, html/css, php, c, c++. The only ones I have really done anything with are html/css and python. The most I've done with python though is write a script that spits out line by line all the lyrics to that infamous song about a certain number of bottles of a certain adult beverage of required taste on the wall which I then used to spam my co-workers over spark when I worked at a web-hosting company. I have also dabbled a little in django, evennia, and ren'py as well as skimmed through some blender plugin code. But other than that I have not really done much.
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Postby Furen » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:37 am

Wow, that's a decent number of languages you're trying to learn all at once, good luck.

Though, isn't this topic like... a year and a half old?
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby shooraijin » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Yes, this is a bit of a gravedig. New thread if the topic is desired.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to Computing and Links