Google+

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:07 pm

You sure you're not mixing the CEO of Facebook up with the CEO of Google? The facebook CEO is the one that said

"When I got started in my dorm room at Harvard, the question a lot of people asked was 'why would I want to put any information on the Internet at all? Why would I want to have a website?'
"And then in the last 5 or 6 years, blogging has taken off in a huge way and all these different services that have people sharing all this information. People have really gotten comfortable not only sharing more information and different kinds, but more openly and with more people. That social norm is just something that has evolved over time.

We view it as our role in the system to constantly be innovating and be updating what our system is to reflect what the current social norms are.

A lot of companies would be trapped by the conventions and their legacies of what they've built, doing a privacy change - doing a privacy change for 350 million users is not the kind of thing that a lot of companies would do. But we viewed that as a really important thing, to always keep a beginner's mind and what would we do if we were starting the company now and we decided that these would be the social norms now and we just went for it."

Regarding the loosened privacy features on his site.

EDIT: finally found the google CEO quote which is something similar, pretty much amounting to, 'if you don't want people seeing it, don't do it'. Both cases are similar so I see what you're saying, though at this point I'm more inclined to lean towards G+ still since it doesn't have ads like facebook, so so far you're only on surface level dealing with Google, rather than facebook, all of their ad partners and every App you've ever tried. I also find the Google exec's opinion to essentially be making a point that we make here on CAA in our notes about editing and deleting posts. Nothing ever is fully deleted from the internet.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Word to the wise, the world is not a safe place. Internet or otherwise, unless you live in a cave and/or don't get a job for the rest of your life, your basic info is out there one way or another. You can either be afraid of this, or use it to your advantage.
(side note: G+ seems to be safer thus far; more so than Facebook; mainly in regards to FB having applications, which are third party sites that have access to your basic info and it's not clear what they can and cannot do with it.)

Things are fairly slow on G+ thus far. I get the feeling Google is still trying to smooth out the wrinkles.
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Pretty much every internet company will have a small army of computer scientists and statisticians ready to dissect every piece of data that comes flowing through their servers.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:31 pm

By the way, Google + will be requiring all profiles to be public.

http://www.google.com/support/profiles/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1192471

If your profile on Google + is set to private, it will be deleted on July 31.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Welp. That makes my decision on whether or not to join an easy one!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Nate (post: 1492724) wrote:By the way, Google + will be requiring all profiles to be public.

http://www.google.com/support/profiles/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1192471

If your profile on Google + is set to private, it will be deleted on July 31.

Google: We'll force you to make friends/stalkers! \o.o/

I do like how they make it all user friendly. "Well, if you want your profile private, we can delete it for you! :D"

I still do like the system though, but it seems built more for business networking than actually day to day life stuff like Facebook.
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:16 pm

I don't see what the problem is. Your profile just has to be searchable. That seems reasonable, or people won't be able to find you. But you're still completely in control of what you show them. That's the entire point behind Google+, that you can selectively reveal as much information as you want to certain groups. A private profile is completely pointless in this system and it's functionally equivalent to not having an account anyway.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:23 pm

So they're jsut making sure that, like facebook, your name is searchable. I'm surprised this even had an option to be turned off O.o.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:41 pm

It's because Google Profiles was a thing that had that option long before Plus was even conceived and those profiles became Plus profiles.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:42 pm

...Oh. That's a bit different isn't it.

What happens if there's someone else with the same name as you, though?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:58 pm

If you choose to reveal absolutely nothing, then you'd have to ask the person for a link to their profile by email or the telephone or walking over to them or something to make sure you have the right person.

Most people do choose to let people see who they're following or some identifiable one-liner about themselves so that should be enough to figure out who they are. The hardest thing about the initial beta period was when a bunch of people I had on twitter added me but I had no idea what their real names were, so I had to see who else they followed or what their twitter account was listed as or something to figure out if I knew them or not.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Ahhhh okay. Yeah, even if you set your profile on say, Facebook to private, people can still see your name. That actually makes a lot more sense. I misunderstood what they were saying, then. My bad!

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:16 am

Soooo, can I be the creep who quietly stalks CAA in silence but still wants to add yalls on G+?
Nobody in my circles seems to appreciate my Doctor Who references and what not, so... figured I'd try this crowd out ;)

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Previous

Return to Computing and Links