Desktop Icons

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Desktop Icons

Postby Wolf-man » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:04 am

Hey I recently downloaded some custom made icons for certain programs. The problem is the they are really small when I change the icon. I know that they can be bigger but when I click view as large icons they do not change in size. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks. I have Vista operating system by the way.
Wolf-man

Postby Xeno » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:03 pm

To change the icon size of the desktop icons, click the Ctrl key while you are viewing the desktop and scroll your wheel upwards or downwards to change the icon size to your satisfaction. That’s it, its as easy as a click and a scroll.
Xeno

Postby Wolf-man » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:16 pm

I tried that and it didn't change the size of the new icons
Wolf-man

Postby Xeno » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Can you take a screen cap?
Xeno

Postby Xeno » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 am

Okay, I think I figured out what problem you're having. I have Windows 7 dual-booted on my Mac, so while it's not 100% the same it's close enough. I changed my "Computer" icon to another of the already available icons, so my desktop looks like this:

I then tried both the Ctrl+Scroll and Right Click > View > Large Icons and got this:

So simply, I think the answer is that some icons just don't support going to a higher size level. As you can see not only did the Computer icon stay the same but so did Steam, and QuickTime. Other icons hidden by the browser window that you can't see were a RAR file and mIRC, which also didn't increase in size.
Xeno

Postby Wolf-man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:01 pm

So there's nothing I can do? Its weird because when I click on them as images they are much larger. But when I make them icons they are smaller.
Wolf-man

Postby Furen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Wolf-man (post: 1485120) wrote:So there's nothing I can do? Its weird because when I click on them as images they are much larger. But when I make them icons they are smaller.

It may be because they are .ico files, when they're .ico (stands for icon) they only let you make them 32 bits by 32 bits.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Midori » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:18 pm

No, .ico files can store multiple image sizes, which is what makes them special. It's other image formats that can only do one image size.

[s]That said, the most likely scenario here is just that the artist who made your icons didn't draw any larger versions of them, so you're stuck with what you've got. Sorry.[/s] Never mind. I should read the whole thread before replying.
Midori

Postby Wolf-man » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:35 am

Furen (post: 1485398) wrote:It may be because they are .ico files, when they're .ico (stands for icon) they only let you make them 32 bits by 32 bits.

So even though it looks like this when I click on it.
It won't look like that on the desktop?
Wolf-man

Return to Computing and Links