[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
What podcasts do you listen to? - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

What podcasts do you listen to?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

What podcasts do you listen to?

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:10 pm

I recently started listening to podcasts on my iPod. Which ones do you listen to on a regular basis?
Here's what I listen to:
Old-Time Radio: There's different categories for this series, one for each genre. For someone who really enjoys this stuff, this is great.
Word on Fire: A Catholic priest's sermons.
Doctor Who Audio Dramas: Note to any Who fans out there: This is NOT Big Finish's contribution to the expanded universe. This is a fan-made series, with original companions (except for K-9, who does act somewhat differently from his TV series counterpart. He actually growls). It's actually quite good, although I wish the show actually did a more concentrated effort to bring back missing episodes so I can be more properly introduced to the companions. They get extra points for actually having a mute character, though.
Note: I'd love to listen to CAA's podcasts, but every time I try to download them, it never works.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby MomentOfInertia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:00 pm

That I actually listen to:[INDENT] Writing Excuses
So good I posted a thread about it:
Here

Decoder Ring Theatre
Actually a few different shows from the same group.
Entertainingly cheesy old-style radio dramas in the superhero and detective genres.
I haven't gotten through half of the archive yet.
I think it's out of Canada.
[/INDENT]That I have not gotten to:[INDENT] The Appendix
Darker Projects: Dark Matter & The Falcon Banner

(this next set are your fault Rock.)
Doctor Who
The Doctor Who Audio Dramas
Doctor Who: Legends of a Time Lord
Doctor Who: Time Tales

Escape Pod
Short scifi stories.
I've actually listened to a few of them, they were pretty good.

Old Time Radio Scifi

The Secret World Chronicles
:books 1-4 (not technically a pod cast but that is what itunes filed it under)

Sherlock Holmes Adventures Podcast
Star Trek: Outpost
Star Trek: Pioneers
TGT Webcomics

[/INDENT]
rocklobster (post: 1484102) wrote:Note: I'd love to listen to CAA's podcasts, but every time I try to download them, it never works.

The listing in itunes seems to be defunct, but I haven't had any problems downloading them from here as MP3s and loading them into itunes.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:05 pm

I've heard a couple CAA podcasts and liked them. :)

Other than that, I keep vaguely up-to-date on Writing Excuses. I really love this show, because it's about writing but doesn't just repeat stuff I already know. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:32 pm

I mostly just listen to the best radio show currently on:

This American Life. From their "About Us"-

f you've never heard This American Life, our staff's favorites page provides a great introduction to what we do. You might want to start there. After a few episodes, we're sure you'll figure it out. Or, if you're looking for a written introduction, here goes:

One of our problems from the start has been that when we try to describe This American Life in a sentence or two, it just sounds awful. For instance: each week we choose a theme and put together different kinds of stories on that theme. That doesn't sound like something we'd want to listen to on the radio, and it's our show.

So usually we just say what we're not. We're not a news show or a talk show or a call-in show. We're not really formatted like other radio shows at all. Instead, we do these stories that are like movies for radio. There are people in dramatic situations. Things happen to them. There are funny moments and emotional moments and—hopefully—moments where the people in the story say interesting, surprising things about it all. It has to be surprising. It has to be fun.

Each episode has a theme. That's mostly because a theme makes it seem like there's a reason to sit and listen to a story about a contest where everyone stands around a truck for days until only one person is left on their feet...or a grown man trying to convince a skeptical friend that not only has he heard the world's greatest phone message, but that it's about the Little Mermaid...or a man who's obsessed with Niagara Falls, lives minutes from the Falls, writes and thinks about the Falls all the time, but can't bring himself to actually visit the Falls because, as he says, "they've ruined the Falls." If you're not doing stories about the news, or celebrities, or things people have ever heard of elsewhere, you have to give people a reason to keep listening. The themes make it seem like you should.

We view the show as an experiment. We try things. There was the show where we taped for 24 hours in an all-night restaurant. And the show where we put a band together from musicians' classified ads. And the show where we followed a group of swing voters for months, recording their reactions to everything that happened in the campaign, right up through their final decision. And the show where we had a story for each of the Ten Commmandments. Or the one where our producers all collected stories for a weekend at the same rest stop. We also occasionally do our own versions of stories that are in the news, including award winning economics coverage that spawned another entire program called Planet Money.

We think of the show as journalism. One of the people who helped start the program, Paul Tough, says that what we're doing is applying the tools of journalism to everyday lives, personal lives. Which is true. It's also true that the journalism we do tends to use a lot of the techniques of fiction: scenes and characters and narrative threads.

Meanwhile, the fiction we have on the show functions like journalism: it's fiction that describes what it's like to be here, now, in America. What we like are stories that are both funny and sad. Personal and sort of epic at the same time.

We sometimes think of our program as a documentary show for people who normally hate documentaries. A public radio show for people who don't necessarily care for public radio.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Sheol777 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:59 am

Oh there are many...I will list a selection:

Anime:

Anime World Order - THE BEST anime podcast out there. Great reviews of obscure stuff.
ANN Cast - Anime News Networks podcast. Good for industry news.
Fast Karate for the Gentleman - They review bad anime on purpose and are very intelligently funny.
The Ninja Consultant Podcast - Pretty cool, wish they would update more.

Miscellaneous:

This American Life - Well, you all know...
The Classic Tales Podcast - Classic books and stories read in a podcast, for free.
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - Takes historical facts and times and makes them real and epic.
iFanboy - THE BEST comic book podcast, all the hosts have great personalities.
The Thomas Jefferson Hour - A Jefferson scholar portrays Jefferson and answers modern day questions.
Radiolab - Two guys really interested in science and how it relates to humanity. Not boring at all! Equal parts entertaining and informative.

And of course the best podcast on the internet:

[SIZE="4"][color="Red"]The Gamma Quadrant[/color][/SIZE] - An episodic review of the series Deep Space Nine.

Why is it the best? Because I am on it of course!
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:40 pm

Just started Pendant Audios podcasts featuring DC Comics superheroes. They're excellent, and unlike Darker Projects, they haven't once gone on hiatus for any of them.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Edward » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:57 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1484357) wrote:I've heard a couple CAA podcasts and liked them. :)

Other than that, I keep vaguely up-to-date on Writing Excuses. I really love this show, because it's about writing but doesn't just repeat stuff I already know. XD

I like Writing Excuses too, and I'm not even a writer. It's still interesting to learn about the writing craft from one of my favorite authors, Brandon Sanderson.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Edward (post: 1488380) wrote:I like Writing Excuses too, and I'm not even a writer. It's still interesting to learn about the writing craft from one of my favorite authors, Brandon Sanderson.

Yeah, my brother doesn't write but he enjoys listening, too. Which I think is pretty cool. ^^
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Xeno » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:32 pm

I don't do much on the podcasting thing, but I do try to keep up with Zoltar's Subterranean (it's a 2 hour electronic music showcase show) and Armin van Buuren's A State of Trance Podcast.
Xeno

Postby Furen » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:38 pm

CAA Radio is my fav podcast, though skillet's podcast is good too
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:07 am

I recently added Catholic Answers's podcast to my queue. It's basically a podcast version of their radio show. Although I think the host tries too hard to be funny, it's pretty good. At least he does a good job of hurrying the callers to get to the point.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Computing and Links