Question about MP3 music

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Question about MP3 music

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:42 pm

I haven't really found an answer for this, so I would try to ask here.

Let's say that you are building a web site that you want to put music on it. Since you can go to Amazon and buy a MP3 of the song or songs that you would love to have on the site.

Can you do this since you bought the song on Amazon or would this fall under the royalty rights and you must buy royalty free music to use on a web site?

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Kaligraphic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:36 pm

The tracks you get from Amazon or iTunes or similar are for personal use. Just buying the track doesn't give you the distribution rights you'd need to in turn distribute the track to all and sundry (i.e. website visitors). You may be able to buy a license to use the track, but if you don't really need that particular track, it may be easier to use royalty-free music. If you go that route, though, scrutinize the terms carefully, because some "royalty-free" music sources aren't really royalty-free.

Alternatively, since music in websites can be really annoying, are you sure you even need to include any? :)
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks, that is what I needed to know and have a list of royalty-free music from a web site template company.

Kaligraphic wrote:Alternatively, since music in websites can be really annoying, are you sure you even need to include any? :)

As for that question. Yes as this is not your run of the mill web site, but will be a Photography business web site that will need music to go along with the galleries on the site.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Return to Computing and Links