[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
What was your first Linux distro? - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

What was your first Linux distro?

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

What was your first Linux distro?

Postby Icarus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Occasioned by this post, I was wondering which version got you into Linux, and which you remember the most fondly?

The first one I used was Red Hat 4.x, I think, and it was cool. And then I ran GENTOO, and exulted. That was the most fun I ever had on the command line, and it taught me more than almost anything I've used since.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Alcuinus » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:30 pm

For me, Fedora 7 (woot! 13 is out!)
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:48 pm

I started with Debian, in the early days of 3.0 (woody).
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:27 pm

I just know got around to burning Linux Mint.. I think version 8 o.O? I dunno, but I haven't tried it yet ^^; I'm kind of scared to be honest :o
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby blkmage » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:24 pm

I had a few failed attempts with Mandrake, Red Hat, Slackware, and Fedora before really getting into Linux and using it for everything with Gentoo in 2004.
blkmage

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:32 am

Tried to install Something on the PS3 a while back, but it didn't quite work.

My first successful install was Ubuntu 9.whatever it was. 9.10 I think. I have 10.whatever now, but I don't use it because I need some programs I can only get on Windows... I do prefer it, otherwise, if it weren't for the lack of decent art software.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Warrior4Christ » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:32 am

I'm pretty sure it was Red Hat 5..ish. The installation wasn't as smooth (kept freezing midway!) and hardware support wasn't as wide (sound, etc didn't work) back in those days. So it didn't see a huge amount of regular use. I tried various others in the years after that - Red Hat 6, Caldera, Fedora, Mandrake, Ubuntu.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby ich1990 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:51 pm

PCLinuxOS 2009 KDE

As far as first encounters with linux go, it was pretty good. I couldn't get the internet to play nice with the cell card, though, so it ultimately went back to being Windows.

I have also done a bit with CentOS, and like that distro much better. Ubuntu is setup as dual boot and if it weren't for gaming, I would probably use it more often.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:18 pm

I think my first Linux distro was Slackware. Probably the original, come to think of it. After trying just about everything, I've finally settled on CentOS for my servers. For a desktop, I don't use Linux (I prefer Mac OS).
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:00 am

Slackware also. Would have to have been around 1998, whatever version was out at that time.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Valkaiser » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:15 pm

My initial contact with GNU/Linux was completely involuntary. I worked at an air force base one summer writing programs, at least that was what I was supposed to do. I wasn't assigned a computer for almost a month, and then I only got one because it had been banned from the network for being too slow... a Pentium 1 with Debian installed. I did not have root permissions. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I ended up typing educated guesses as commands until I came across info and man. After that summer I installed Debian on as many old machines as I could acquire. A few months ago I moved to Arch, with which I have been quite pleased. I am also beating my head against Gentoo on other machines (not fun with a tiny net pipe).
Valkaiser

Postby RefractedAhav » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Either SuSE before Novell ate it up and spit out it's bones, or Red Hat before Fedora
Adopted by: 1BalloonPopper

(\_/) [color=royalblue]"We are the Bunnie [/color]

(O.o) Resistance Is Futile.

(> <) You Will Be Assimilated"-Elowen

Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig Help Him Achieve World Domination...

AKA: Jowan, John, Iwan, any male form of "John" exept Johny or any spelling of Johny (Jonathan is actualy an entirly diferrnt name, so no that does not work)

FKA: Elowen

http://users.ev1.net/%7Ebretm/ashley/tairis%20sig%203.gif
RefractedAhav

Location: Some where in Oz or is it in the woods between worlds, I'm not so shure any more. Any one have an in

Return to Computing and Links