[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Thinking about getting a new laptop - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Thinking about getting a new laptop

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

Thinking about getting a new laptop

Postby ADXC » Sat May 01, 2010 12:59 am

Ok, well since my college years have begun(Since August), I've had my small net book. It's been okay for what I've needed to use it for; however, it hardly can play any games. So I've decided to this summer work my butt off and get a totally new computer. I've thought about different ones, but this one seems to stick out the most. I think I'd pay around $2000(It starts out at $1,799, but $2000 after I had something on to it.) in the end for it, but it would last me for a while, I'd be able to play whatever game I wanted to play, watch DVDs, do many processes at once, and a lot more.

Anyway what I'm asking you guys here who know computers, could you rate this computer for me? If there is a better one that you know of, please post so.

It is an Alienware M17x laptop.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-alienware-m17x/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-alienware-m17x&s=dhs&cs=19&~ck=mn
ADXC

Postby Alcuinus » Sat May 01, 2010 7:59 am

Well, idk about the model itself, but you can perhaps get one cheaper (or with more features) by buying it refurbished. The only draw back is that you can't pick each feature, but if there happens to be one there that will work for you it might be a more efficient way to go.

Sorry I know nothing of the model. :S
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby Valkaiser » Sun May 02, 2010 1:07 am

Eh? Sounds to me like you've already got a portable machine.
Most of the desires that you listed are not strong areas for laptops.
Man, with $2K you could score a crazy beast desktop that easily outdoes this things specs.
Specially if you don't go for all the bling.
...but if you insist on it, and performance is your concern, make sure do the solid state hard drive option. Don't sweat the lower capacity, save your random files to an external or something.
Valkaiser

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed May 19, 2010 1:03 pm

Alienware computers were made for gaming and there is a lot of good reviews about Alienware computers.

Since they make gaming computers, their laptops were made for game and even for graphic artist.

They have been a very good choice for digital photographers that want to run PS on their laptop. Most digital photographers that I know, go with an Alienware laptop or Mac notebook.

So, you can't go wrong with an Alienware laptop and they really would fit as a laptop that you want to use it for.

[font="Book Antiqua"]
[color="Red"]
Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby mechana2015 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:19 pm

Another good one to check (and compare the specs first) is Lenovo's line of laptops. They might end up comparable and a little cheaper to boot. Also worth a look would be their desktops, since you'll be able to keep the graphics cards and RAM updated easier on a desktop.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to Computing and Links