redone

The geek forum. PHP, Perl, HTML, hardware questions etc.. it's all in here. Got a techie question? We'll sort you out. Ask your questions or post a link to your own site here!

redone

Postby andyroo » Sat Jun 21, 2003 12:48 am

Updated Links here.

*edit!*I completely forgot to add the url. It's [url=Old Link]http://www.geocities.com/dcute_is_here/[/url]
Alright, I have finnished with the uptdates to my website along with a newer and, hopefuly, better user interface. I have come across some problems with the final layout of my site. It seems that Geocities doesn't support css. :sweat: So my navbar has gaps in it and some of the text is all scrunched up.

The website is actually my philosophy report that I uploaded to the web. It pretty much took every thing down to it's fundamental levels. Or atleast I hope. That was my intention after all. The layout is in the form of a book, but there is not a table of contents. Like I said, no css. I also added the philosophy part of my report which is written from a conservative christian stand point of view.

Hope that you like it! ^_^
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby LorentzForce » Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:45 am

i say japanese is ripped off korean and chinese, and mulched both together to create a language.

you see, japanese is written closely to chinese. you can't deny that. korean uses chinese characters too. just that it's not written in chinese.

and japanese can be totally and clearly written down into korean. if i say something that's written as korean that's supposed to sound be japanese (as in, it's pronounciation is japanese, just written in korean), japanese people would have absolutely no trouble of what i'm reading.

but back to your site; it's good. it loads fast and has content. but you'll have to do something like updating it continously in order to attract people to come back again and again.
LorentzForce

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:08 pm

I like your site design, and for the most part you give a good overview of things but... I gotta say you're not going to find anything like what you're talking about in any historical linguistics book. The general consensus seems to be that Japanese is part of the Altaic familiy of languages, and is most closely related to Korean.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby andyroo » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:02 pm

Well, I haven't uploaded my bibliography just yet. There are some resources that can be used for cross referancing, but not all of what these sources say I took as fact. I had too realy pick and choose to believe what was fact or opinion. You seem to question the origions of the Japanese. Well I do too, but that is beside the point. No one really knows their origions as you may already know. So every thing on their beginnings is for alot of the part speculation, but there is evidence to support alot of theories and some maybe to be considered fact. The Koreans have an actual alphabet, but the Japanese construct their words with one character syllables. Such as with the 'ai' sound. Linguistics, to me, is tricky anyway. What may seem similar in a language could be completely misleading and be something else. Note that China spent many years in isolation, so the Koreans could have had a more of an effect on the Japanese culture and language.

I'm glad you've done some research on the linguistics in this subject matter. It really helps to have some one check me on the validity of my information.
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
andyroo

Postby Izumi San » Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:08 pm

Wow, looks kewl so far. I'll definitely read more if u add it :)
I've been having these weird thoughts lately, like, is any of this for real, or not?
Izumi San

Postby Technomancer » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:06 am

I'd be interested in reading your material (and examining your sources). You're quite right that the origins of the Japanese language are contraversial, I was merely stating what seems to be the majority opinion among linguists today. However, I wouldn't try to draw any conclusions from the Korean or Japanese syllabriaries. It is well known that the Korean alphabet (Hangul (sp?)) was developed much later than the Japanese kana alphabets (prior to that the Koreans used Chinese characters).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby LorentzForce » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:49 am

Hangul was proudly made by a king called Sae Zong. he got this bunch of researchers/studies and put together a language for every citizen in Korea so it's easier to learn than conventional Chinese characters.

it's considered that they said in Korean, as in Korean. just that the written language, Hangul, wasn't made until later.

and Japanese resembles more towards Chinese than Korean anyway. it's only the pronounciation part that makes Koreans and Japanese so similar.

i still like Korean :)
LorentzForce

Postby Technomancer » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:08 am

It's true in one sense that Japanese resembles Chinese in its writing system, and that there is a substantial load word vocabulary from Chinese. This doesn't amount to it belonging to the same language group though. For example, only a minority of English words are actually English in origin (ie Anglo-Saxon), most of the rest being derived from Latin, Greek, and Norman French.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby LorentzForce » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:18 am

you're right. it's not necessarily in the same language group.

korean too have many chinese characters in them. they appear as korean, but is very easily translated into chinese. they teach you chinese around in yr 9 in korea, just for the heck of learning better korean.

i think it's similar case with japanese. they seem to be originating from chinese too. actually, the major languages near china at use some of chinese characters.

english is just plain weird. mixture of all sorts of languages...

well, i don't have any backup argument here. it's all from my head.
LorentzForce

Postby andyroo » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:17 am

Alright, I have made some updates to my web site. I have added a bibliography and an about page. There some new navigation buttons too; along with a caa banner in the left column. There is also some content correction that I have made for some pages to make more sense. I'm thinking about listing my web page in google and maybe AllTheWeb

There may be a few dead links in the bibliography, so there is some tweaking to be done.
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

andyroo

Postby Technomancer » Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:11 am

Some comments about the updates (from an academic perspective).

It's usually better to do your refrences in terms of footnotes/endnotes. This allows a reader to check the source much more easily (if you read any academic journals this is how things are done. Typical styles of refrencing are APA, MLA and IEEE.

I note that the webpage you reference does not reference any of its assertions (big no no). This is especially important since the content is so at variance with current theories. Also the author makes some logical leaps without any support.

It's a good idea never to make internet sources your primary resource. If I'd done this in undergrad I'd have gotten slammed by my markers. For that matter when I was marking papers as a TA myself, I would have nailed (and sometimes did) anyone who likewise relied heavily on internet material. The reason for this is simple: there is no peer review or quality control on the interent. Anyone can post anything. Research is still possible of course, but you need to develop a knowledge of what makes for a reliabe source (and always check anything you read).

An excellent guide to writing papers and conducting research by the way is Jeannette A. Woodward's "Writing Research Papers: Investigating Resources in Cyberspace". I picked up the book six years ago in my first Public Policy course, and have been using it ever since.

As far as the actual material goes, if you like I can provide you with a list of books on Japanese historical linguistics the next time I'm on campus.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby shooraijin » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:54 am

Here's a paper that, going through it on a cursory basis, has some very good points to make about connections with Japanese. Be warned, it's not light reading.

http://www-lib.icu.ac.jp/LibShuppan/lecture/6-2-1.html

For a nice capsule summary, try this course page:

http://ling.ucsd.edu/ling19/ling19langdis/japanese.htm

(from my alma mater and my old academic department, natch.)
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby andyroo » Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:02 pm

Hey, thanks for the links.

As far as the actual material goes, if you like I can provide you with a list of books on Japanese historical linguistics the next time I'm on campus.

Just PM me with the list. I did originally want to have some book references, but I came up dry at the libraries in the city I was at. I did find some books off of amazon.com that may help me, but I'm still saving up.
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

andyroo

Postby Retten » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:21 pm

wow very good a excellent explanation of anime I will definitely have to read more of it when I get the time

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

new server means new domain and no ads

Postby andyroo » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:55 pm

Here's a major update on my web site. I now have a new web address hosted by the one and only MyrrhLynn (special thanks goes to her).

Here's the new link: http://www.myrrhlynn.us/animeology

Please update your bookmarks with the new URL.

You can still get to the new web site through the old geocities web site by being automatically redirected to the new page. All of the old web pages will be deleted within the next month or two, maybe longer, except for the index page.

Here's a list of TO DOs:to do list
That should answer some of your questions... I hope.
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

andyroo

Postby Technomancer » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:05 am

This may or may not be helpful for your research, depending on how close you are to a university, but have you tried searching such a library. Most, if not all universty libraries allow non-student access, and you can often purchase a library card for some nominal fee.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby MyrrhLynn » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:13 am

andyroo wrote: one and only MyrrhLynn

LOL! Well that is nice of you but technically that isn't true. :sweat: There has to be another one out there because I couldn't get Myrrhlynn as my AIM screen name. Oh and I looked in our CGI Bin and it is just filled with a bunch of stupid stuff like a guestbook and a clock. (Why you would want a clock on your website when all the people have to do is look in the bottome right corner is beyond me.) But whatever, we will have to fix that. :thumb:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Return to Computing and Links