NaNoWriMo 2013

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Re: NaNoWriMo 2013

Postby QtheQreater » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:22 pm

My goodness, Claec, your first NaNoWriMo is going to end rather quickly if this pace continues.

We're going to kill each other.

Anyone else want to join?
The sometime President of the Goof Off!

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Lynna » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:51 am

Heh. You two are crazy! I'm not sure I can compete with those kind of numbers, but hey, I need to get ahead, so I'll see if I can give it a shot :D
Lynna

Postby WorldsTraveler » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:02 pm

I’m doing NaNo casually this year (instead of my usual races to 50,000) due to work/studies being a high priority. But I’m already past 4,000 words, so that’s good! ^_^

I just love the zeal of week one… I want to ride this wave for as long as it lasts.
WorldsTraveler

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Cause of death: Competitive writing. Yeah, I can totally see this happening. This is intense, Q. You are a worthy opponent.

*collapses from sleep deficiency*
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Okami » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:54 am

I've got about 4,000 words to write today if I hope to catch up after Youmacon this weekend. xD; Eesh. I know it's possible, as one year I wrote in 8,000+ word days....on top of school, when now I don't have that hindrance.

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm making my goal today 7,000 - so more like 6,000 words to write today. :sweat:
Okami

Postby Lynna » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Well, I'm finally an entire 1667 words ahead, which was what I wanted. How is everyone doing on the story side of things? Mine is going a bit half-and-half. The beginning wasn't as good as I wanted it to be, and my main character isn't really showing any recognizable traits yet. However, I have not given up hope, and at least the story is coming along quickly, like I wanted it to.
Lynna

Postby QtheQreater » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:06 pm

I think my eyeballs are going to fall out.

Story-wise, I'm still loving what I'm doing. It's still at the crazy, break-neck action stage, though, but I'm almost done with the situation set-up. Hopefully, I can slow the pace down with a lot more dialog. Traditionally, that's not my strong suit, but I need the practice, I guess.

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Peanut » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Finishing my quota for today was tougher then expected but I made it. Hooray!
Peanut

Postby ClaecElric4God » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:45 am

Well, my plot is flowing nicely. A little too nicely. I reached the half-way point and realized I'm barely a quarter of the way through my word count. So I'm having to go back and fill in the holes with random stuff that also has to be relevant to the story. Not fun. Though it works out, since I haven't really shown a lot of interactions between characters and such, and in an effort to avoid info-dumping, I ened up skipping some stuff altogether that really needs to be in there somewhere.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Postby Okami » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:00 pm

*sighs with relief* I didn't make my goal of 7,000 yesterday, but today I did get myself all caught up and back on track.
Okami

Postby WorldsTraveler » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Whew, I reached 10,000 and finished Act 1. It went well! Tired out though… I’ll probably take a break to listen to music, hunt for further inspiration, and loosely plan out the goals of Act 2.

Best of luck to everyone else!
WorldsTraveler

Postby Okami » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm

So as of right now, my main character just locked himself in a bathroom and no one's attempted suicide yet. I think I feel accomplished thus far. :XD:
Okami

Postby Banana Lobster » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Urg, I'm way behind. DX If I'm lucky, I'll be able to catch up by Saturday, Sunday at the latest.
Banana Lobster

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:40 pm

So far, I'm staying apace of the word count...until this weekend, when I'll be away from civilization. And this time, the character I needed to die for the plot ended up dead in the first 500 words, unlike 2011, when she stayed stubbornly alive for the duration while the story got bogged down in subplot after character subplot. Of course, this year's plot is still getting bogged down in rabbit trails, but hey, small victories, right?
Davidizer13

Postby ClaecElric4God » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Well, week one is over and I haven't missed a daily quota yet (though today I was frantically typing at 11:57 to make it). But I'm steadily slipping behind, and next week is the moment of truth, when we find out if I can handle the pressure of writing on top of responsibilities. That and I'm suddenly out of ideas. This is what I get for writing a non-action and not having a plot. But I will prevail!

Watch your back, Q. I'm not done yet.

ClaecElric4God

Postby Peanut » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 pm

I've done pretty well so far but I need to start going well beyond my quota. My girlfriend is coming to visit at the end of November so there is no guarantee that I will actually be able to keep up with Nano then. Preferably, it would be nice to be done or close to don around that time.
Peanut

Postby Winry » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm behind... as per usual. Hopefully I can start making a comeback any day now.... =/
Winry

Postby QtheQreater » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Cheer up, everybody, it's the weekend!

ClaecElric4God wrote:Watch your back, Q. I'm not done yet.

Why, because you'll always be behind me? NYARHARHAR!

Oye, I must say, you biting at the ankles of my word count does ensure that I keep writing every day. Isn't competition great? *slumps over glassy-eyed on the keyboard*

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby mechana2015 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:05 am

Well my story is rolling along... sort of. I'm not sure if I like what I have but it sure is a thing that has words in it and is following the concept and plot structure I set out for it.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Okami » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:16 pm

My main character seems to have a thing for hiding out in bathrooms.

I need a realistic way for him to lose both his apartment and his job....hmm....Thoughts/ideas? I need help. :sweat:
Okami

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:21 pm

Okami wrote:My main character seems to have a thing for hiding out in bathrooms.

I need a realistic way for him to lose both his apartment and his job....hmm....Thoughts/ideas? I need help. :sweat:

He could break his leg/get sick/get shipwrecked(jk), then he wouldn't be able to work, which would result in him not being able to pay rent?
DecooPunk

Postby Lynna » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Okami wrote:My main character seems to have a thing for hiding out in bathrooms.

Someone stole the money he had been intending to be used to pay rent, but he didn't know it was stolen so he looks around for it everywhere which causes him to be late to work which causes him to be laid off because the manager to drop him in favor of a new applicant who seems like they will be better and more reliable so then he doesn't have a job with which to pay the rent and so he gets evicted. Maybe that could work?

On another note, first day I didn't finish my quota, even if I am still an entire day ahead. Ugh.
Lynna

Postby Okami » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:27 pm

DecooPunk wrote:

He could break his leg/get sick/get shipwrecked(jk), then he wouldn't be able to work, which would result in him not being able to pay rent?

Lynna wrote:Someone stole the money he had been intending to be used to pay rent, but he didn't know it was stolen so he looks around for it everywhere which causes him to be late to work which causes him to be laid off because the manager to drop him in favor of a new applicant who seems like they will be better and more reliable so then he doesn't have a job with which to pay the rent and so he gets evicted. Maybe that could work?

On another note, first day I didn't finish my quota, even if I am still an entire day ahead. Ugh.

Thanks guys! That helped spur some ideas, and actually makes some fair amount of sense. My character was already getting sick, so all I had to do was have him come into work and pass out. He was running late (forgot to set an alarm the night before), and then on his way to work, he got mugged after trying to take a faster way through a seedy area of town. He notices before passing out that the cash the guy takes is more than he remembers having, since he was just musing how he wished he had money to take a cab or bus to work. Then at work, being several hours late, he is informed it is his last day and he will find out details while on break. He gets to take his break early after passing out on the job, and is told he has to leave for embezzlement - which makes sense in light of his mental illness (which is still in early stages / undiagnosed). He was already on track toward eviction, being told he needed to be out of the apartment by the end of the month after failing to pay his rent again. Now all of that can fall into place and solidify.

All of this is good progress for the plot. Now I get to do extensive research on Dissociative Identity Disorder. :dizzy:

And good luck, Lynna! I know how that feels (I spent the majority of the first weekend somewhere between 1,000-1,400 words total). Catching up (even when ahead) can be such a pain. But keeping on top of it is what's important. :)

---

So, any offers in particular catch your guys' eyes for being a NaNo Winner?
Okami

Postby QtheQreater » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Whoop! Halfway done! I'm enjoying this way more than I should.

Feel free to accidentally hurt/kill/submerge-in-jello a character in your story and pretend it was me, if that will help anyone add to their word count. :P

Okami wrote:Now I get to do extensive research on Dissociative Identity Disorder. :dizzy:

Good luck on that (meant in an entirely good way, mind). From what I know about the disorder from a friend who is having to deal with that in her family right now, it's a slippery fish.

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Okami » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:45 am

QtheQreater wrote:
Okami wrote:Now I get to do extensive research on Dissociative Identity Disorder. :dizzy:

Good luck on that (meant in an entirely good way, mind). From what I know about the disorder from a friend who is having to deal with that in her family right now, it's a slippery fish.

Thank you. Yes indeed, it is.

I spent some time last night fleshing out my main character with my counselor. :lol: So far, so good, it seems. I think her biggest concern as far as my making it more realistic was needing to change when the onset occurs (I was thinking about sixteen, which is really late) which means adding additional traumatic events during childhood to give it that realistic edge...

So now I'm writing some of those scenes rather than continuing the plot point I was stuck on. Whoo. :sweat:

Wednesday EDIT: Twitter Status: "Day 13. 50,000 words finished. Novel completion status...um...not finished? But I've won! :D"
Okami

Postby QtheQreater » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Okami wrote:Wednesday EDIT: Twitter Status: "Day 13. 50,000 words finished. Novel completion status...um...not finished? But I've won! :D"

Sweeeeet. Congratulations! Are you going to keep working on it for the rest of the month anyway?

I've been stalled for the last few days and am only making the minimum word count contributions. Choosing between sleep and NaNoWriMo is difficult (I have a three month old baby...and I thought I was sleep-deprived in college, bah!). I did manage to kill off my main character again this year! Whoop! Now to see if I can stay awake long enough to reach tonight's goal.

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby Okami » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:22 pm

QtheQreater wrote:
Sweeeeet. Congratulations! Are you going to keep working on it for the rest of the month anyway?

Thank you! :dance: And yes, I'll still be writing through the end of the month. There's still scenes that need to take place between "here" and the final scene, which is already written at the end of the document. I have ideas on where I'm going (I need to give the MC a puppy after all he's been through. Literally. :XD:) and then there are some other ideas that I want to see if I can squeeze in anywhere to make the DID diagnosis just a little more realistic, which would mean building up another alter/personality and sticking them in the plot somewhere, and more childhood trauma. It's really hard to write those scenes. :bang:

I've been stalled for the last few days and am only making the minimum word count contributions. Choosing between sleep and NaNoWriMo is difficult (I have a three month old baby...and I thought I was sleep-deprived in college, bah!). I did manage to kill off my main character again this year! Whoop! Now to see if I can stay awake long enough to reach tonight's goal.

Ick. Sounds like a rough choice to have to make. :drool: I almost killed my MC last year...I know how that goes. She tried to kill herself within the first 5,000 words. I just kind of sat there, screaming at the laptop, as if it somehow could have intervened in my place. :sweat:
Okami

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 am

Congrats, Okami! I'm so jealous. This isn't happening for me. In the evenings, my jet lag makes it impossible to function well enough to write, and from the time I get up in the morning until evening again, I'm way too busy to write. Thus my semi-stagnant word count. I fear I may have to admit my defeat, Q. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I actually finish.

ClaecElric4God

Postby QtheQreater » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:02 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote: I fear I may have to admit my defeat, Q. At this rate, I'll be lucky if I actually finish.

:waah!:

But I neeeeed my word count buddy! With you gone, I will have to find someone else to taunt!

But seriously, you're missing your great opportunity to catch up. I'm monstrously sick. Just like last year! :shady:

Then again, maybe I'm more creative on cold meds than off.

Image Image
QtheQreater

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:22 am

Agh! Why must you torment me!

*sigh* Alright. I feel slightly conscious right now, so I might try to write for a couple hours. We'll see what happens. But 4000 words is a lot to write. Maybe I can throw my character into the depths of depression and have him contemplate the mysteries of life or something. That usually works to boost my word count.

ClaecElric4God

Previous Next

Return to Writing