character question

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

character question

Postby rocklobster » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:03 pm

I thought up a character who seems destined to be considered a Mary Sue. She's admired by most of the cast and seems to be very nice. Is there a way to pull this off without going into Mary Sue territory?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Esoteric » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Well, she could turn out to be a hypocrite or a real jerk. I'm no expert here, but find a way to flaw her character, or don't make her the main character.
Esoteric

Postby Ante Bellum » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:57 pm

http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm

And if you can, give her some negative qualities that the rest don't find cute or adorable.
Ante Bellum

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Give the character a reason to be liked: one defining characteristic of Sueishness is that everyone in the story likes a character just because he/she exists. Just because everyone likes someone does not automatically make them a Sue; however, if, for example, the villain drops his plans and decides that he was wrong just because the villain met your character, then that's when to rethink the state of that character.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby OfficerSting » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:05 pm

While niceness is a common Mary Sue trait, having a nice character that is admired doesn't mean you've ruined your character. What you could do is have her slip up occasionally, or otherwise make it clear your character is good-hearted, yet still human, and therefore capable of error. Also, give some other characters time in the spotlight, rather than having her do everything, and don't make her a savant at everything: giver her one or two fields she excels in.
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." [SIZE="2"]Romans 8:38-39 (NIV)[/SIZE]
OfficerSting

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Who is she? What fandom is this? Is she just another character in your story or the main one?

Give her a real backstory with some bite and DON'T let her ever, ever feel sorry for herself.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby rocklobster » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Sailor Kenshin (post: 1389046) wrote:Who is she? What fandom is this? Is she just another character in your story or the main one?

Give her a real backstory with some bite and DON'T let her ever, ever feel sorry for herself.

It's an original story, SK. Well, as original as a story can be anyway. So, you think if I make her a broken bird type it might work. Maybe I can make her someone who has a troubled background but has an optimistic outlook?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Chrysolite » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:10 am

My advice to you is this: forget the Mary Sue concept. Just look at your character, her situation, her disposition, and the struggles she faces throughout the story, and ask yourself, "Is this a character I would find interesting if I were reading about them?" And if the answer is no, just figure out what the story as a whole is lacking. Does it need better character development, better dialogue, better conflict, or maybe a more cohesive plot with a more obvious premise? Every story has room for improvement, but you should approach this from the mentality that you want to make your story more gripping and meaningful, not just because you want to avoid writing a Mary Sue. Don't let fan-contrived stumbling blocks like this sway you from writing what's really on your heart.
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Also, treat this character as if she's a real person. Have her do things, say things, think things, feel things like an actual person would in that situation, because if you treat your characters like real people it's almost impossible to make them Mary Sues.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Return to Writing