Let's help Peanut edit his Untitled NaNoWrimo Novel

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Let's help Peanut edit his Untitled NaNoWrimo Novel

Postby Peanut » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:05 pm

What the titled says. I happened to really like the idea I had for my NanoWrimo novel this year and would like to maybe, someday try and get it published. Before that can happen...it needs a lot of editing (and for me to actually finish it, but that's another matter entirely...). You can find the novel here.

Any comments, suggestions, criticisms are obviously appreciated.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Esoteric » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:59 am

By edit you're referring to grammar, yes? Sorry I can't spare the time to give you an in-depth edit, but can point out a few things.

I glanced at the first chapter and noticed it jumps back and forth between present and past tenses a lot. Definitely needs fixing. Also watch for word redundancy: A wind whips up, whipping dust... Or awkward combinations: ...the bar erupted into uproar...

And if your story will pretty much follows Alistor the entire time, you might want to consider shifting the narrative style from Cinematic to a more standard character-driven Limited Third Person. Right now, it reads very much like 'a movie'--just the narrator telling what's going on with no genuine viewpoint character. This is fairly common with new authors, I used to do it too until I could understand the difference. Now, there are a few people who write in Cinematic, but by and large, the most popular and majority of modern science-fiction is character-driven. The more I read science fiction, the more I realize how different the presentation is from that in movies. The pacing is entirely different. Less action is often required: suspense can be generated merely by a character thinking about some future danger, and so on.

If you're serious about eventually publishing this, great! But I recommend you do a good bit of research first by reading lots of modern sci-fi and maybe a few books on how to craft a strong narrative. Good luck.
Esoteric

Postby Peanut » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:42 am

Esoteric (post: 1375050) wrote:By edit you're referring to grammar, yes? Sorry I can't spare the time to give you an in-depth edit, but can point out a few things.

Yes and no. I'm also looking for opinions on characters, plot, narrative style, etc. So...basically everything you just posted (which I'm rather thankful for by the way).
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Return to Writing