Swearing in writing

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:26 pm

I use some swearing in my writing, but only for serious stories. Like, for my NaNo story, I avoided writing out swearing (And even avoid writing out death stuff, which became a bit of a joke. XD ), but it was more satire than anything. My actual novel will contain swearing, because that's how some of the characters are. I avoid using the F bomb because that would just make it distasteful and make it seem that I was just using it for no good reason, or to seem "cool" (Cool fail!). But I'm not going to cut out all swearing, because as Animus demonstrated, some things just turn out corny. Then again, I'm not trying to appeal to a young audience, either. o_o;
Ante Bellum

Postby Souba » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:56 pm

[color="RoyalBlue"]I don't curse I find it hard to even type a curse word so I find some ways around like "he cursed under his breath" as suggested another suggestion is for implying curse words is like what I did here:

“You can’t fight it, David” he began “Anymore than you could before.”

“Leave him alone, you son of a …” Will was cut off as the man cocked the gun aimed at his head.

Since I'm writing for my own comic book it's a whole lot easier for me because you just use symbols. ^^
Beloved in Grace,
Souba[/color]
@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~

[color="RoyalBlue"]We are not saved by the Law, but by Grace[/color]

@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~@)}~`,~ @)}~`,~ @)}~`,~
Souba

Location: Second star to the right and straight on until morning!

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:30 am

Anystazya (post: 1362034) wrote:Are you implying that it is fine for the older man to swear, but not the young child? Or just that it would be strange or bad to hear a child swearing, but not the grown man? Isn't the grown man also in the wrong in that instance?

Let's just say that the verses people point to when it comes to language aren't as cut and dry as many make them to be... Namely, they may be referring to something other than so-called "bad words". There are no bad words, only bad things that can be said. That's what I believe, anyhow, and I believe that's what the Bible means. None of it refers to specific words...

Flashbacks... If you have a response, you can make it I guess, but this is the last I'll have to say on the issue. This issue got ugly in 2004. I'm just stating my stance and leaving it alone. You are free to voice your opposition to it, but I won't argue it further. This can be a statement of beliefs, but it won't be an argument on my part. I just hope everyone's respectful of other people's beliefs. Believing differently on this issue most certainly doesn't make that person not a Christian (as I was accused in 2004)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:42 am

In keeping with the spirit of Bobtheduck's post, I would also like to encourage that we all be mindful of each opinions and not derail the thread into an argument of morality. Swearing is one of those things that varies in intensity and acceptability from culture to culture, as well as person to person. This has indeed led to much fighting and bickering (ironically, given the Ephesians verses mentioned above). Just because someone is from a different culture than you doesn't make them "less a Christian" than you. Likewise personal conviction.

This is CAA's official policy, and it's why we have a profanity filter on the board. We continually guard our atmosphere of respect.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Mithrandir

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:22 pm

[quote="Anystazya (post: 1362034)"]I've always considered swearing as something not to do, and in Ephesians 4:29, doesn't it say, [I]“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.â€
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Anystazya » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm just going to say here that I didn't want to start a debate on this...and I don't want to continue one. Not even in PM.
[color="Plum"]Do not let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good. - Job 40:2 NLT[/color]

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] [color="Purple"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color]

[color="DarkOrchid"]~Anystazya~[/color]
Anystazya

Previous

Return to Writing