The Black Dragon (tentative title)

Unleash your creative writing skills here.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:40 pm

But all the same, dragonrage or no, Advent had been practising swordplay for years, and Shard hadn't even trained for two months. Finally Advent's sword came whistling out of nowhere in an odd twist Shard would never have been able to dream of, and he found his sword sailing out of his hand. For an instant, he felt a shock of terror as his only means of defense was stripped away from him, and then-

"Oh God," Shard whispered; the words fell from his lips in a fruitless prayer that this could not be happening. For a moment, the world seemed frozen. Then it exploded in agony, a whirling vortex of pain centered around his stomach, which burned with all the fires of Hell. Shard clutched helplessly at the sword plunged all the way through his body, skewering him like a pig. His fingers clawed weakly at the sharp edges that surely had to be rimmed with flame to burn like that, and then...he was falling, falling down into darkness, and at first he thought he was dying. Then he felt the cold, hard slap of the ground against his back, and he knew he was still alive.

The burning blade jerked out of his body with a cruel slash; Shard screamed as it burned its way back up through his flesh, slicing his hands where they had clutched it. Now a warm, wet substance met his cold fingers, and he had a feeling this should make him afraid, though he couldn't think why, unless because there was so much of it seeping past his fingers.

Through the swirling haze Shard realized were his own tears, Advent's face came into view. The light of dragonrage had left his eyes, but a manic grin spread across his face. "Now this is more like it, isn't it, church boy?" he said in a low, excited murmur. "You are prostrate before me. Now...." His eyes traveled to Shard's abdomen, his grin widening. "That was just a taste. How about a few more? One...for every time she's smiled at you instead of me."

"Please...." Shard whispered, screwing his eyes closed as horror mingled with the pain. He wasn't sure himself whether he was pleading with Advent or sending up a desperate, and maybe final, prayer. Advent was right about the praying, was his last coherent thought.

Shard had no voice left to scream as the blade bit through his flesh a second time. He could faintly feel, through the crashing wave of agony, his fingers and toes curling and convulsing of their own accord, scrabbling at the ground for some slight reprieve. The blade ripped through him a third time, a fourth, a fifth. Each time Shard silently begged for God to let him die. Surely, even the fires of Hell could not compare to this anguish.

Another shape swam in and out of his vision, and it took him a long time to realize what it was: the dragon on the hilt of his sword, which lay a few feet away. A dragon.... This was like the reverse of Saint George.... A dragon.... Shynael.

The thrusts of the sword had finally ceased (how many times?). He could hear Advent wiping off his blade, sliding his sword back into its sheath (oh God, please let me die). Andrael's wings beating, taking off, receding into the distance (someone...anyone). Why were his wings still beating? Hadn't he already gone? (Please, leave me alone....)

Then, a scream. "Shard!"

Shard opened his mouth to say Shynael's name, but all that came out was a gurgle, and he felt something wet oozing up his throat. Shynael was talking, his voice hysterical, but Shard couldn't make out the growling draconic speech. There was a buzzing in his ears, and his limbs felt light.

Then enormous claws encircled his body, lifting him somewhat clumsily into the air, and his many wounds seared white-hot. He tried to scream, but coughed instead, and he felt something wet trickle down the side of his mouth. He seemed to be moving, but maybe that was just his head spinning. He was so dizzy, and all he could hear was his own heavy, labored breathing. That and Shynael's wings. Whizz-whoosh, whizz-whoosh. Comforting. Shynael was here.

Then he was descending, and with a jolt that made his whole body convulse, Shynael landed. Shard heard Shynael's frantic voice calling out, and another voice answering. Who was that? It sounded so familiar....

He was moving – the pain, he was going to die – descending again. Now something was stinging against his back; he was lying down on something soft. He instinctually clutched at the cloth beneath him, as if it would save him. He could see nothing; he could only feel. Oh, how well he could feel, and he wished he could see instead.

Then came a voice he had never heard before, yet it was familiar all the same: soft, soothing, cool. Like that hand on his forehead, so blessedly cool in this world of fire. "What happened, Shynael?"

"I don't know! I-I just came and he was...."

Someone bustling around, knocking things over. A rustling sound, then something pressed against the agony in his abdomen. It didn't stop the pain; if anything, it only made things worse. Now the voice was panicked. "He won't stop bleeding!"

"What does that mean?" Shynael's voice was high-pitched with fear.

"If...If he doesn't stop bleeding soon, he'll d-"

"No!" Shynael's voice came out in a vehement roar. "I know a way – my mother told me! Dragon blood closes wounds, right?"

"Y-Yes."

"Well, I'm a dragon."

Shard wasn't aware of opening his eyes, but suddenly the darkness gave way and he saw his black dragon looming over him, desperation flooding his golden eyes. He extended a leg over Shard, then set his teeth against his scales, and ripped.

Suddenly Shard was looking down on himself from a much greater height, and he could see the blood spreading in an ugly red stain all over the bed. He could see how white his face was, how weakly his chest moved up and down. Then Shard felt a sudden pain in his arm – no, his front leg – and felt his teeth clamping down, tearing through the diamond-hard scales and digging down to the blood beneath. His dark blood poured out over the human body beneath him, like a red river of life.

He was Shard, he was Shynael, he was burning and dying and living and spinning and spiraling. He was lying on the bed, gasping for breath as the burning blood gushed over his open wounds; he was bending over himself, tearing himself open because that weak human on the bed had to live. He was a human, he was a dragon, and he didn't know who he was.

The blood grew hotter and hotter, his vision growing red, but this time there was no voice. There was only him, and that other heart beating in time to his, and he didn't know which one he was, or if he was both. All he knew was that he was alive, alive, alive. And that was the most beautiful knowledge in the entire world.

Shard closed his eyes again, and darkness enclosed him.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:09 am

Nooooooooo Shard!.... :wow!:
There were more than two hearts pounding at the agonizing end of this section.
Wow.
I was in tears when Shard restrained himself under that attack.
You're setting all kinds of records here--you're also now the first person to ever dedicate something to me. :red: And 47,000 words...already? (The longest thing I've ever written was 36,000.) You go, girl! XD

Okay, some critic-ing!!
Each time, Legacy would hesitate for a moment, then fly off with Advent, occasionally requesting Glaive or Vesper to come with them. Shard might have been jealous of the attention Advent, especially, was receiving from Legacy, but he was too busy feeling relieved that she never asked him to come along.

Some thoughts: Advent is a curious case. Legacy is spending more time with him now, but he's even more angry at Shard? Angry enough to take such a risk? This is hard to make sense of, unless all she talks about is Shard when they are together. Or it's Vesper that Advent secretly likes... Either way Advent must have truly come unhinged, because there's no covering up something like this.
"Been praying, church boy?" Advent said, contained triumph trembling behind his voice.

contained triumph trembling. I know what you're trying to say, but that wording is a bit awkward.
Shard parried again and again and again, keeping a firm grip on his sword. There was no time to think, no time to realize he was fighting much better than he ever had before, now that he was facing his death. His mind seemed to go completely blank; he didn't even think. His body seemed to move of its own accord, following the moves and maneuvers Glaive had worked his hardest to pound into him.

Good, that's exactly how it would have had to have been. When you're physically at your best, you don't think much about it, your body just does what it's done over and over and over....
Now a warm, wet substance met his cold fingers, and he had a feeling this should make him afraid, though he couldn't think why, unless because there was so much of it seeping past his fingers.

Again, I know what you're trying to say, but I thought to myself...shouldn't he already be terrified?
"No!" Shynael's voice came out in a vehement roar. "I know a way – my mother told me! Dragon blood closes wounds, right?"

"Y-Yes."

"Well, I'm a dragon."

Two suggested changes. First: I realize I'm being picky again, but closing wounds isn't quite the same as stopping the bleeding, especially not with stab wounds. (A person can internally bleed to death quite easily). So if dragon's blood can 'heal wounds', not just 'close them'...it might be better.
Second: "Well, I'm a dragon." Yes, you are. Way to state obvious, Shynael! :lol: This is one of your big moments, Shynael, so you want to sound cooler than that. How about, "Then move away." ?
I think a response along those line would be far more effective--Telling (I'm assuming Vesper) to move clear of Shard because of the hot blood he's about to poor out over him.

But everything else was great. Seriously. Now you better get back to your computer and keep typing, missy, because that was a terrible cliff-hanger and I want more right now! :lol: No, it really wasn't too much of a cliffhanger. I know he survives. But it was really exciting, and I always want more when I get excited... :grin:
Esoteric

Postby kryptech » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:27 pm

The four of them sat side-by-side until the sun set and darkness fell. No one said anything more, but as Shard readied himself for bed, he felt oddly comforted. When he knelt down by the side of the large bed to say his prayers, he asked for forgiveness – not only for himself and Shynael, but for Vesper and Vannasai as well. And he had the feeling that someone on the other side of the courtyard was doing the same.

Vesper is definitely one of my favourite characters. I very much liked the first scene.

Wow - I didn't realize that the dragons could do such tricky things with their fire. I'm curious to see what Legacy has planned next.

The battle with Advent... I didn't think it would quite come to that. Obviously he's had some serious hate going on for a while and finally had a good opportunity to take it out. Though it must have been something Advent dreamed about before, it seems more like a crime of passion, as it would be impossible for Advent to retain is position after what he did.

Another shape swam in and out of his vision, and it took him a long time to realize what it was: the dragon on the hilt of his sword, which lay a few feet away. A dragon.... This was like the reverse of Saint George.... A dragon.... Shynael.

I didn't really get this. I'm not quite sure who Saint George is. I took this as a call out to Shynael for help?

Also, I'm not familiar with sword injuries but I would imagine that they could kill someone pretty quick. I suppose very little time elapsed from the first wound to the end of the chapter? Like Esoteric said, dragon blood would likely have to do more than just close wounds but probably repair internal damage too, if Shard were to be healed.

Excellent chapter! It was definitely gripping! I'm anxious to see how Shard fares and how the ambassadors respond.
"Everybody's weird in their own special way." - P.V.
"Never refuse a breath mint." - my dad
"The UAC is making safer worlds through superior firepower." - Doom 3
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

"I'm too cool to scroll. -- MOES."
kryptech

Postby Esoteric » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:09 pm

kryptech (post: 1247492) wrote: Though it must have been something Advent dreamed about before, it seems more like a crime of passion, as it would be impossible for Advent to retain is position after what he did.

I was thinking the same thing. Even though he waited for the perfect opportunity, he couldn't dream of covering this up, He'd be the primary suspect.
I didn't really get this. I'm not quite sure who Saint George is. I took this as a call out to Shynael for help?

Really? I thought most westerners knew about St. George. I guess maybe not so much anymore with the decline of historical studies. In legend, he's famous for slaying a dragon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George
Esoteric

Postby kryptech » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:05 am

Esoteric wrote:Really? I thought most westerners knew about St. George. I guess maybe not so much anymore with the decline of historical studies. In legend, he's famous for slaying a dragon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

I thought that perhaps that might have been the case (I could have looked it up, but it was late and I was too lazy.) So I guess "the reverse of Saint George" is sort of like Shynael (a dragon) coming to defeat Advent (a human) and save Shard.
"This world is a great sculptor's shop. We are the statues and there is a rumour going round the shop that some of us are some day going to come to life." - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

kryptech

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:18 pm

:grin: Heehee, I'm so glad you guys liked this part! I guess I must just like writing scenes of intense pain or something, but I was so excited to get this written. And you know...it's interesting, but just last night I finished watching Braveheart, and in the climax William Wallace is being tortured; I'm not positive, but I think they were stabbing his stomach (thankfully, they only showed his face). It was...chilling. I watched in horror and morbid fascination, thinking all the while, "That's what I did to Shard."

Esoteric (post: 1246440) wrote:Nooooooooo Shard!.... :wow!:
There were more than two hearts pounding at the agonizing end of this section.
Wow.
I was in tears when Shard restrained himself under that attack.
You're setting all kinds of records here--you're also now the first person to ever dedicate something to me. :red: And 47,000 words...already? (The longest thing I've ever written was 36,000.) You go, girl! XD

Wow. I got you in tears? Awesome! ^^' Yup, it's a little over 47,000 words, according to my word count anyway. I'm very pleased with myself, because my last word count record was a kind of stupid story I wrote ages ago. The most I've written in any story was 120,000 words, I think, but that was a fanfic, so it doesn't really count, does it? At least, not as much as this.

Some thoughts: Advent is a curious case. Legacy is spending more time with him now, but he's even more angry at Shard? Angry enough to take such a risk? This is hard to make sense of, unless all she talks about is Shard when they are together. Or it's Vesper that Advent secretly likes... Either way Advent must have truly come unhinged, because there's no covering up something like this.

The battle with Advent... I didn't think it would quite come to that. Obviously he's had some serious hate going on for a while and finally had a good opportunity to take it out. Though it must have been something Advent dreamed about before, it seems more like a crime of passion, as it would be impossible for Advent to retain is position after what he did.

I was thinking the same thing. Even though he waited for the perfect opportunity, he couldn't dream of covering this up, He'd be the primary suspect.

Heheh, nothing slips past you guys, does it? ^^' Yeah, that's one of my weak points, and I'm definitely going to have to change that in the second draft. It would be easier if I could show Advent's thoughts, of course, but that wouldn't really work. How about this? Instead of somewhere around a week elapsing between the hatchling battle and Advent's attack, it's more like a day. Advent would still be pretty heated about the whole 'stealing my glory' thing. Obviously, I want to keep in the scene with Vesper/Vannasai and Shard/Shynael, but then I could have that first lesson where Glaive looks questioningly at Shard be the one where Legacy calls Glaive away and Advent attacks. Would that work better?

Two suggested changes. First: I realize I'm being picky again, but closing wounds isn't quite the same as stopping the bleeding, especially not with stab wounds. (A person can internally bleed to death quite easily). So if dragon's blood can 'heal wounds', not just 'close them'...it might be better.

Also, I'm not familiar with sword injuries but I would imagine that they could kill someone pretty quick. I suppose very little time elapsed from the first wound to the end of the chapter? Like Esoteric said, dragon blood would likely have to do more than just close wounds but probably repair internal damage too, if Shard were to be healed.

Done and done. Well, sorta :hits_self That's absolutely going on my list of edits for the second draft. It's occurred to me several times that my dragons are more like...dragonixes. Or Phoegons.

Second: "Well, I'm a dragon." Yes, you are. Way to state obvious, Shynael! :lol: This is one of your big moments, Shynael, so you want to sound cooler than that. How about, "Then move away." ?
I think a response along those line would be far more effective--Telling (I'm assuming Vesper) to move clear of Shard because of the hot blood he's about to poor out over him.

Shynael: :red: Yes, ma'am. *moves meekly away*

But everything else was great. Seriously. Now you better get back to your computer and keep typing, missy, because that was a terrible cliff-hanger and I want more right now! :lol: No, it really wasn't too much of a cliffhanger. I know he survives. But it was really exciting, and I always want more when I get excited... :grin:

*wince* :sweat: Yeah, I like cliffhangers too much. I'll get on that soon! I'm eager to explore the next scene]Vesper is definitely one of my favourite characters. I very much liked the first scene.[/quote]
:grin: Me too. It occurred to me as I was glancing over this chapter again that Vesper and Advent make an almost violent contrast. Vesper is so quiet and almost timid at times, while Advent goes around screaming and stabbing amateurs. Anyway, Vesper's always been a favorite of mine too.

kryptech (post: 1247581) wrote:So I guess "the reverse of Saint George" is sort of like Shynael (a dragon) coming to defeat Advent (a human) and save Shard.

Yes, and also one thing that occurred to me: A human is slaying, not a dragon, but a fellow human. That's not exactly the reverse of Saint George, but I thought it was interesting *shrug*

When I was a little kid, we had this book of legends and folk tales and such that included Saint George and the Dragon; I think that might have been my first encounter with a dragon. It occurred to me at the beginning when I was developing the humans' perspective on the dragons that probably one of their most important saints would be George (if you look back at the very beginning of this story, you'll see a reference to him).
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Esoteric » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Heheh, nothing slips past you guys, does it? ^^' Yeah, that's one of my weak points, and I'm definitely going to have to change that in the second draft. It would be easier if I could show Advent's thoughts, of course, but that wouldn't really work. How about this? Instead of somewhere around a week elapsing between the hatchling battle and Advent's attack, it's more like a day. Advent would still be pretty heated about the whole 'stealing my glory' thing. Obviously, I want to keep in the scene with Vesper/Vannasai and Shard/Shynael, but then I could have that first lesson where Glaive looks questioningly at Shard be the one where Legacy calls Glaive away and Advent attacks. Would that work better?

Hmmm. No I'd say it's going to take more than changing the timing. That would only solve one problem, and at the cost of some valuable character development. The other is that until now, Advent's been pretty discreet about his harassment--That's smart. But this (attempted) murder isn't discreet--That's not smart.
It's going to need more justification to really be 'believable'. Either A: Advent has given up on the Ambassadors and no longer cares if he gets kicked out. Or B: Advent makes sure he has a solid alibi, (or at least what he believes is a solid alibi) so that he won't immediately be suspected.
I prefer the latter solution. It allows you to keep the valuable 'time', and doesn't drastically compromise Advent's sneaky behavior to date.
I sort of imagine Advent is naturally hot tempered, and the one who's been holding him back and persuading him to bide his time until the right moment is Andriel. Perhaps Andriel helps Advent pull off a false alibi? I don't know...it's something to think about.
Yes, it is hard when we can't get in Advent's head, but you can slip us clues through actions and dialogue as to what sort of person he really is.
Esoteric

Postby kryptech » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:27 pm

the_wolfs_howl wrote:Heehee, I'm so glad you guys liked this part! I guess I must just like writing scenes of intense pain or something, but I was so excited to get this written. And you know...it's interesting, but just last night I finished watching Braveheart, and in the climax William Wallace is being tortured]
I think I might be a little the same. In a recent short story I wrote the part I looked forward to writing most was were the character is badly injured. When I read your above post I considered why I felt similarly. I think for me it might be because of the intense and extraordinary emotions that one can write about in those situations. It is a challenge getting the reader to empathize with what the character is experiencing.

Esoteric wrote:Or B: Advent makes sure he has a solid alibi, (or at least what he believes is a solid alibi) so that he won't immediately be suspected.
I prefer the latter solution. It allows you to keep the valuable 'time', and doesn't drastically compromise Advent's sneaky behavior to date.
I sort of imagine Advent is naturally hot tempered...

This seems like the best plan to me as well. If he really cared about Legacy I wouldn't think he'd want to alienate himself from her and the rest of Ambassadors. But ya, I don't have any other ideas on solutions...

kryptech

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:48 pm

On Advent: Don't worry; I've got an alibi/excuse-type thing lined up to be revealed in the next section. Hold onto your dragons! But actually, it was because you pointed out the problem with him breaking the rules that I even came up with this way out. I had a weaker way out in mind, but when you guys started talking about it...I put myself in Advent's shoes and asked myself, "How am I going to get out of this one?" I think it's a good idea, but we'll see what you guys think. At any rate, I'll need your continued help once you read the next section, to decide whether I should shorten the time lapse to a day rather than a week.

kryptech (post: 1248675) wrote:I think I might be a little the same. In a recent short story I wrote the part I looked forward to writing most was were the character is badly injured. When I read your above post I considered why I felt similarly. I think for me it might be because of the intense and extraordinary emotions that one can write about in those situations. It is a challenge getting the reader to empathize with what the character is experiencing.

I guess. Either that or I'm a sadist :evil: But I've noticed that some of my favorite parts in movies are ones where a character's being tortured. Like Star Wars or Princess Bride? At the age of nine, my favorite parts of those movies were where Luke gets hit by the Dark Lightning, and where Wesley gets tortured so much he becomes 'mostly dead.' And while the climax of Braveheart made me cringe and wince and press my hands against my mouth, I think that might be my favorite part of the movie. :?:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Esoteric » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:52 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1250228) wrote:On Advent: Don't worry]
Oh? Well it better be a good one!! ;)
Kryptech wrote:I think I might be a little the same. In a recent short story I wrote the part I looked forward to writing most was were the character is badly injured. When I read your above post I considered why I felt similarly. I think for me it might be because of the intense and extraordinary emotions that one can write about in those situations. It is a challenge getting the reader to empathize with what the character is experiencing.

I guess. Either that or I'm a sadist :evil: But I've noticed that some of my favorite parts in movies are ones where a character's being tortured. Like Star Wars or Princess Bride? At the age of nine, my favorite parts of those movies were where Luke gets hit by the Dark Lightning, and where Wesley gets tortured so much he becomes 'mostly dead.' And while the climax of Braveheart made me cringe and wince and press my hands against my mouth, I think that might be my favorite part of the movie. :?:

I must confess a similar inclination. So, either we are all sadistic, or there's something visceral about characters enduring physical conflict and loss. And my uh... friend, Millie would point out that survival is the primary goal of all creatures. Naturally any injury threatens that survival. Physical pain and jeopardy are fundamental life experiences and universally understood. Therefore, they lend that extra level of intensity to any situation. They excite something in us.
And of course, when it's the protagonist who suffers and prevails, it makes him stronger and more worthy of our praise. I think it's a subconscious and very appealing means of ennobling our heroes. That's my psychoanalytic two cents anyway.
Esoteric

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:36 am

Author's Note: Yay, psychoanalysis! You do all us psychiatrist wannabes proud, Eso! Anyway, because you were so anxious to read the next part, I got it done early! At the expense of a couple other stories, though, so I'd probably better get cracking on them now :drool: I hope this section is satisfactory!

Shard opened his eyes and realized with a small shock that he had no idea where he was. It didn't bother him too much, though; the enormous bed he lay in was so comfortable and warm, the pillows so soft, like a puff of clouds.... Gradually Shard realized he must have dozed off, for he found himself opening his eyes again. He looked around himself and saw that he was in a room in the Ambassadors' residence. But this room was not his; the bedspread and hangings were black, not green, and this room was much larger too. He couldn't quite see the ceiling from the bed, but he imagined it would be higher than a cathedral roof. That meant this room belonged to a larger dragon than Shynael.

That means everyone, silly, Shard told himself with a small smile. He made to push himself up to a sitting position, but when he did his abdomen twinged with pain and he fell back against the pillows. He put his hand on his stomach and felt the stiffness of a bandage through his nightshirt. Then everything came rushing back to him: Advent's manic smile, the frenzied duel, the agony that had split him in two...the blood pouring into him and out of him....

"Shard?" The voice was small, timid, quavering. If Shard hadn't known any better, he would have been surprised to hear it coming from such a large, strong, black creature.

Shard's face broke into a smile. "Shynael!"

There was a moment of silence where neither of them could figure out what to say, and then Shynael pushed his head under the hangings of the bed to rub it against Shard, who stroked the smooth black scales, cherishing the oily feeling against his fingers. He realized that he had come very close to never feeling those scales again.

Shynael gently broke the embrace at last, drawing his head back far enough so he could examine Shard fully. "When I came..." he said slowly in a low voice, "and saw you...I was scared. I was so scared, Shard. I thought you were...going to...die."

For a moment, Shard thought Shynael looked human. He was a little black-haired boy, standing by the bed and gazing at Shard with large yellow eyes. Then Shard blinked, and Shynael was a dragon again. "I thought I was too," Shard murmured. "But you saved me."

Their eyes met, and Shard knew that Shynael had felt the same connection when he had shed his blood. Something had changed between them, and they were closer now than they had ever been before. "You've saved my life, too," Shynael whispered. "Ever since the day I hatched. You've been the only family I've ever known."

Shard gingerly pushed himself up again, more slowly this time, and slid down onto the floor. His knees shook, but after a moment he decided he wasn't going to fall. Taking a few cautious steps forward, he wrapped his arms around Shynael's neck. Warm blood pulsed steadily past Shard's cheek as he stood there, and after a few moments the dragon began to purr.

"You're my brother, Shynael. Even if you are a dragon."

A loud sniff from Shynael cut into the moment, and Shard chuckled softly as they broke apart. He patted Shynael's nose and glanced away for a moment – only to do a double-take at the swathe of white around Shynael's foreleg.

"The cut was too deep," Shynael explained, hardly having to look over. It was as though he could read his human companion's mind. "If too much blood goes out, the wound can't heal by itself."

Shard winced. "That hurt." He remembered the feeling of ripping his own flesh apart, and rubbed his arm as if expecting to feel the wound there. Instead, he felt something smooth and oily, and he froze. Pushing up his sleeve, he saw that fat, shiny black scales littered his forearm, stretching from his wrist to his elbow like a bizarre gauntlet. He rubbed the largest scale, hiding the veins in his wrist, and for the first time he didn't mind the appearance of new scales. These ones were a reminder of what Shynael had done for him.

"You shouldn't be up yet." The voice was soft and vaguely familiar, though Shard couldn't quite place it.

Then he turned around and saw Vesper standing several feet away, wearing her dull brown dress. Her hands were clasped in front of her, and she was staring at them, refusing to meet his eyes. Shard realized where he had heard her voice before: She had been the one speaking to Shynael during those minutes of hot agony.

Shard wanted to say a thousand things at once. Things like Thank you for helping me or I'm glad you've been praying for me or even You'd look prettier in brighter colors. What came out was, "You spoke to me!"

Vesper's cheeks flushed, and she glanced up at Shard for a moment, her eyes like furtive rabbits. "Really...you should lie down. You don't want to reopen your wounds."

Shard glanced up at Shynael, and obediently climbed back into bed after reflecting that he didn't want the dragon to have to cut himself open again. But the bed was high, and when he tried to heave one leg up onto it, he overbalanced and nearly fell backwards. Vesper was there in an instant, catching him and helping him climb up. Once Shard lay down, she pulled the blankets up to his chin, giving them a little pat and smoothing out a few wrinkles.

Shard tried not to stare up at her. Father Mark, kind and caring though he was, had never tucked him in; no one had tucked him into bed since.... Shard closed his eyes for a moment, faint memories soaring up from the very back of his mind. Just memories of sensations. A warm blanket pulled up and tucked under his chin, then smoothed out with a gentle hand. A kiss on his forehead, a soft voice, and then that smell. Shard realized then that when he had heard Vesper's voice while only half-conscious, he had thought it sounded familiar, but that wasn't it. Vesper smelled a little like his mother.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:42 am

When Shard opened his eyes again, he had the feeling that he had been asleep for a few hours. The candles in the room had been lit, which meant it was probably night. He turned his head to the side and saw Shynael lying there, but his head was up, looking towards the door. Shard pushed himself into a sitting position, then became aware of voices coming from the passage into the room.

Legacy strode into the room, still wearing her shiny red armor. Shard's cheeks turned the same shade of red as he realized he was wearing nothing but a nightshirt, and hastily pulled the sheets up to his chin. Advent was close on Legacy's heels, looking concerned. Vesper shuffled in behind them, not meeting anyone's eyes. Vannasai came in and sat down next to Shynael, as if to give him comfort.

"I came as soon as I heard," Legacy said, a little breathless. "Glaive and I only came back a minute ago. How are you feeling?"

"I-I'm fine," Shard stammered, swallowing painfully as she came right up to the bed and felt his forehead. His skin tingled when she took her hand away.

"A little warm," Legacy said with a frown. "Advent told me what happened, Shard."

Shard flicked his eyes over her shoulder at Advent. In that instant, Advent's look of concern melted into a triumphant smirk, then returned to concern so quickly Shard wasn't completely sure his expression had changed. But Advent's eyes glittered malevolently at Shard, letting him know that he was still in power.

"He said he saw a strange dragon attack you from behind," Legacy continued, oblivious. "He chased the dragon off, but not before it had plunged its talons into you."

"I was too slow," Advent cut in, covering his face with one hand as if in self-loathing. But Shard had been watching his face, and he knew that Advent was only trying to hide his self-satisfied smile.

"It's not your fault," Legacy soothed, putting a hand on Advent's shoulder and squeezing his hand. Shard's stomach lurched with envy. "You did the best you could, and Shard owes you his life."

Shard stared at Advent, his mind whirling. It was all a lie, a horrible, sick lie. Legacy stood there, trying to comfort the very man who had nearly killed him, and there was nothing Shard could say to convince her of the truth. She wouldn't believe him. Advent had drawn a perfect circle of safety around himself.

"Tomorrow, I'm going to see the King about this," Legacy said firmly, breaking into his horrified thoughts. "Never before has a dragon attacked an Ambassador; I can only hope it was someone overcome with dragonrage, maybe dealing with the loss of a loved one. If some of the dragons are turning on us.... Well, I don't know what might happen." Then she looked at Shard and her eyebrows drew together in concern. "You're very pale, Shard. You should lie down." She pushed him down against the pillows, and he was so stunned this time that he didn't even blush when she touched him. "Just rest for a few days, until you're healed. I'm putting you under Vesper's care; she'll take good care of you. Sleep well."

She turned and strode away; Advent paused long enough to send a last glittering smirk his way, then he quickly followed her. For a moment, silence reigned in the room. Then Vesper cautiously stepped forward till she was looking down at him. She gazed at him for a few moments, frowning slightly, and Shard looked back up at her soft grey eyes.

"I've seen wounds from dragon talons before," Vesper finally said, putting one hand gingerly on Shard's bandaged abdomen. "Those are sword wounds."

Shard sighed and looked away. "Advent was the one who attacked me," he said dully.

Vesper gasped and gripped his shoulders with greater intensity than she had ever shown before. "Then why didn't you say so?"

"Didn't you see them?" Shard snapped. "There were no witnesses; it's just my word against his. And who do you think Legacy would believe? When it comes to that, why do you even believe me?"

Vesper gritted her teeth and turned away from him, clenching her hands into fists. "Because Advent is cruel, and you are not," she said in a harsh whisper. She whirled back around, furiously wiping her eyes, and said shortly, "I need to change your bandages."

Shard watched her as she unwound the bloody bandages, her anger fading until she became the quiet, timid Vesper he knew. He wondered what Advent could have done to bring about such a reaction.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby kryptech » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Yeah! Vesper speaks!

It is interesting to see Shard's interaction with both Vesper and Legacy, each a different sort of relationship.

I like your description of the dragon scales - smooth and oily. They have a less harsh feel than the rough scratchy image that would normally come to my mind when hearing "scales".

Advent's excuse was pretty straightforward. I still don't know all that much about non-Ambassador human-dragon relationships. I guess this sort of attach could theoretically happen but was unheard of. So Advent's story would be that Shard was caught off-guard by a strange dragon, he chased the dragon off, then Shynael showed up and brought Shard back to the Ambassadors' HQ. I suppose Advent went more or less directly from the scene to Legacy to tell her his story and then she and Advent showed up at Shard's bedside.

kryptech

Postby Esoteric » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:22 pm

Hmmmm.

I read this update a few days ago, but have taken some time to mull over the situation. I will try to provide some (hopefully) helpful thoughts. :sweat:

While not an extremely clever alibi, I suppose it works on short order. I must ask, did Advent really intend to kill Shard, or had he just 'gone too far'? Because this type of alibi fits more with a 'gone too far' situation, rather than a planned out long before hand. The reason, is because of the physical evidence which Vesper points out; sword wounds are different from claw wounds. This would make it more than one person's word against the other.
Since Shard lived, the wounds have possibly healed enough now (with Shynael's help) that the difference is not discernible. If he had died, the 'evidence' would not have been destroyed, which is why I say this alibi doesn't jive with a planned murder. Advent has spent almost his entire life with the ambassadors--surely he knows they would recognize the difference in wounds.
"I've seen wounds from dragon talons before," Vesper finally said, putting one hand gingerly on Shard's bandaged abdomen. "Those are sword wounds."

Shard sighed and looked away. "Advent was the one who attacked me," he said dully.

Vesper gasped and gripped his shoulders with greater intensity than she had ever shown before. "Then why didn't you say so?"

I can almost hear Shard reply. "Why didn't you say anything about my wounds?"
Vesper gritted her teeth and turned away from him, clenching her hands into fists. "Because Advent is cruel, and you are not," she said in a harsh whisper. She whirled back around, furiously wiping her eyes, and said shortly, "I need to change your bandages."

Shard watched her as she unwound the bloody bandages, her anger fading until she became the quiet, timid Vesper he knew. He wondered what Advent could have done to bring about such a reaction.

For someone's who's always been so quiet and shy, she's proving hard for me to pin down at the moment. I feel like her anger is more a reaction to the current revelation of Advent's guilt, rather than at something in the past. It will be interesting to see what she meant.

One final thought in my mind. I think Shard and Shynael would probably have some serious issues to talk about regarding the Ambassadors at this point. Ever since he arrived, he's been learning how to fight. He doesn't like to fight. He doesn't like to kill. Ever since he got there, Advent has been bullying him. Advent just tried to kill him and has seemingly just gotten away with it. On top of that, everyone (except Vesper) has been giving him the cold shoulder since he lost control. At this point, I think Shard would seriously begin considering why he should stay. The situation has slowly progressed from unpleasant towards unbearable. Maybe he shouldn't stay. For his own (and everyone else's) safety, I can see him considering leaving. He doesn't like to kill. There will be more blood shed if he stays.

End of thoughts.
Esoteric

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:30 am

kryptech (post: 1250806) wrote:I like your description of the dragon scales - smooth and oily. They have a less harsh feel than the rough scratchy image that would normally come to my mind when hearing "scales".

Blame it on my eighth grade Earth Science class. I had to identify a bunch of different kinds of rocks by feeling them, scratching them, etc. When I got to obsidian...it almost didn't feel like a rock. It was so smooth, almost oily, and so lusciously black. I loved it, so I suppose it was only natural that when I decided to make a black dragon, I'd describe his scales like that. I prefer shiny dragons to the probably more realistic ones with rough, dull scales.

Advent's excuse was pretty straightforward. I still don't know all that much about non-Ambassador human-dragon relationships. I guess this sort of attach could theoretically happen but was unheard of. So Advent's story would be that Shard was caught off-guard by a strange dragon, he chased the dragon off, then Shynael showed up and brought Shard back to the Ambassadors' HQ. I suppose Advent went more or less directly from the scene to Legacy to tell her his story and then she and Advent showed up at Shard's bedside.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The dragons don't really like the presence of humans in their midst all that much, but because the Ambassadors are in favor with the King the dragons don't make any trouble. They've never attacked an Ambassador before (and, as you know, they still haven't), so Legacy is understandably concerned.

And now for the tough part: dealing with Eso's demanding critiques :bang: XP Just kidding]While not an extremely clever alibi, I suppose it works on short order. I must ask, did Advent really intend to kill Shard, or had he just 'gone too far'? Because this type of alibi fits more with a 'gone too far' situation, rather than a planned out long before hand. The reason, is because of the physical evidence which Vesper points out; sword wounds are different from claw wounds. This would make it more than one person's word against the other.
Since Shard lived, the wounds have possibly healed enough now (with Shynael's help) that the difference is not discernible. If he had died, the 'evidence' would not have been destroyed, which is why I say this alibi doesn't jive with a planned murder. Advent has spent almost his entire life with the ambassadors--surely he knows they would recognize the difference in wounds.[/quote]
I would say 'gone too far'. I think Advent was mainly intending to fight Shard just for a little, until Shard was at his mercy. Then when Advent had his sword at Shard's throat, he'd say, "Haha, eat that" and leave. But he gave into the dragonrage, so he couldn't stop himself when he knocked Shard's sword away, and he ended up plunging his sword right through him. Then once he left and calmed down a bit he realized that there was some pretty serious evidence against him, so he formulated his alibi. And he had a few hours to figure it out, too. I don't think he really had any of this planned out beforehand. He's impulsive, so he saw his chance and acted on his hatred.
*sweats profusely* Does that work?!

I can almost hear Shard reply. "Why didn't you say anything about my wounds?"

Yeah...erm...working on that :drool: I have an idea, and I'll try to incorporate that into conversation in the next section, but it'll probably be pretty sloppy in this draft.

For someone's who's always been so quiet and shy, she's proving hard for me to pin down at the moment. I feel like her anger is more a reaction to the current revelation of Advent's guilt, rather than at something in the past. It will be interesting to see what she meant.

*squirm squirm* I...I want to just tell you, so you can say if it's a dumb idea or what. Writing it this way always makes me feel so clumsy, especially if you convince me it is a dumb idea or at least one that needs to be discarded or changed drastically. I have to keep on reminding myself that it's okay, this is just the first draft, and everything can be changed in the future.

One final thought in my mind. I think Shard and Shynael would probably have some serious issues to talk about regarding the Ambassadors at this point. Ever since he arrived, he's been learning how to fight. He doesn't like to fight. He doesn't like to kill. Ever since he got there, Advent has been bullying him. Advent just tried to kill him and has seemingly just gotten away with it. On top of that, everyone (except Vesper) has been giving him the cold shoulder since he lost control. At this point, I think Shard would seriously begin considering why he should stay. The situation has slowly progressed from unpleasant towards unbearable. Maybe he shouldn't stay. For his own (and everyone else's) safety, I can see him considering leaving. He doesn't like to kill. There will be more blood shed if he stays.

Oh, good idea! I feel kinda bad, because I should be thinking of these kinds of things, as the author, but...I won't pretend that I'd thought of him thinking of leaving. I guess I'm just so focused on the things that I want to happen in the story, things I came up with ages ago, that I've forgotten about Shard's wishes. Does that make me a bad brain-mother? T_T

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Esoteric » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:41 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1251707) wrote:And now for the tough part: dealing with Eso's demanding critiques :bang: XP Just kidding]
Muhahahahahaha! Yes, I am evil and demanding! :evil:
hehe, no really. I hope you don't mind me too much. :sweat: I've just got a few years on you in the demanding logic department. I learned the habit it from my brother (who's logic prowess I still cower before, so you're not alone).
I would say 'gone too far'. I think Advent was mainly intending to fight Shard just for a little, until Shard was at his mercy. Then when Advent had his sword at Shard's throat, he'd say, "Haha, eat that" and leave. But he gave into the dragonrage, so he couldn't stop himself when he knocked Shard's sword away, and he ended up plunging his sword right through him. Then once he left and calmed down a bit he realized that there was some pretty serious evidence against him, so he formulated his alibi. And he had a few hours to figure it out, too. I don't think he really had any of this planned out beforehand. He's impulsive, so he saw his chance and acted on his hatred.
*sweats profusely* Does that work?!

:lol: Relax, that'll work fine, but I might suggest a two things to help portray that reality. First, when Advent is attacking Shard and Andriel is watching. When Advent begins to 'go too far', Andriel ought to say something in an attempt to intervene. This will clue the reader in that murder wasn't exactly the planned intent. Secondly, if it was an 'accidental slip' and the alibi was so hastily formulated, I don't think Advent would be nearly so smugly confident afterward. He could be relieved when his alibi appears to be working (especially when Shard says nothing) and slowly gain his confidence back from that. But initially I think he'd be fairly worried (inside) about what his unplanned mistake may cost him.
*squirm squirm* I...I want to just tell you, so you can say if it's a dumb idea or what. Writing it this way always makes me feel so clumsy, especially if you convince me it is a dumb idea or at least one that needs to be discarded or changed drastically. I have to keep on reminding myself that it's okay, this is just the first draft, and everything can be changed in the future.

No don't tell me, and don't let me bully you with my ideas, either. ;) For writing this the way you are...essentially rough drafting it...you're doing very well. It's not at all surprising that there are glitches in logic and such the first time through. I have the same problems and it takes me a revision or two before I can iron the 'logic wrinkles' out.
Oh, good idea! I feel kinda bad, because I should be thinking of these kinds of things, as the author, but...I won't pretend that I'd thought of him thinking of leaving. I guess I'm just so focused on the things that I want to happen in the story, things I came up with ages ago, that I've forgotten about Shard's wishes. Does that make me a bad brain-mother? T_T

:grin: No, you're not a bad brain-mother. I was more or less challenging you to consider how things are stacking up. Shard certainly doesn't have to leave if you don't want him to, but if he stays, he's going to need a good reason--one that outweighs the difficulties. Love, for example, is certainly one such potential reason. However, neither his relationship with Legacy or Vesper seem that deep yet. So at the moment I think he'd probably leave (even if he came back later). But, if you want him to end up staying, I might suggest on your 'second draft' to build up a few crucial relationships more, raising the stakes on what he'd be leaving behind in order to make his staying more understandable. But again these are just my thoughts, and it's your story. You can disagree you know! :dance:
Esoteric

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Author's Note: Thanks so much for everything, Eso! That definitely clears that up, I guess. And I know I shouldn't be stressing too much for just a first draft, but...well, it's a rather trying experience, to have people commenting and critiquing my story when I'm not really sure what I want to do with it myself. But your comments are making this story stronger all the time!

Okay, this section starts out kinda weird; I was in a rather weird mood and it took me a while to really get into the story again. But some questions are answered, hopefully to your satisfaction. One more thing - our very own Esoteric has drawn what would make an awesome cover for this book: http://www.wbepic.com/hero_pose.jpg Just extend the trees up a little bit for the title, and there you go! ;)

Shard had been staring up at the hangings of Vesper's bed for a long time. He discovered that the black cloth had thin lines of navy blue worked into it, creating intricate patterns that he couldn't quite make out. He tried to follow a line with his eyes, but then it seemed to fade into the black cloth, or his eyes dropped it and picked up a different line instead. It was hypnotizing, tracing those lines in and out of each other, and he lay in a motionless stupor. He didn't know how long he had been awake, nor what time of day it was. He didn't know where Vesper had gone. The room was empty. He was alone.

Every black dragon is destined to be alone. Where had he heard those words before? Did he really believe them now? Were he and Shynael truly alone?

A voice broke into his thoughts. "Are you okay, Shard?"

Shard blinked as though waking from a dream and looked across the room to where Shynael lay next to his bed. Maybe he wasn't quite as alone as he had thought. "Why do you ask?"

"Your face looks...strange," Shynael said slowly. "Like...you're trying to decide something, but at the same time you're trying not to think about it."

Shard felt a shiver run down his spine. The dragon's words were so accurate it was as though he had dipped directly into Shard's mind. Shynael's piercing yellow eyes made Shard feel more vulnerable than he had at the mercy of Advent's sword, but at the same time he felt protected.

Shard shook off the cobwebs in his mind and let out a sigh. "I've been thinking, Shynael. Is there really any reason for us to be here?"

Shynael sat up straighter, frowning. "What do you mean?"

Shard sighed again and ran a hand through his shaggy hair. "What have we accomplished while we've been here? All we've done is train to become warriors, and kill knights." Shard winced involuntarily as he saw again the bodies littering the hillside; he wrenched his mind away from that thought with difficulty. "I...I never wanted to fight. Our goal's supposed to be peace, isn't it? But how can I bring peace to anyone if there's a war raging inside of me? Shynael, I...I don't think this is the right path for me. The others have found some way to live this lifestyle, but I don't think I can. I don't want to kill anymore."

"I don't either," Shynael murmured softly. "But what can we do about it? Legacy said there was going to be a lot of death and pain on the way to peace."

"That's just it," Shard cut in. He clenched his hands into fists at his sides. "If we stay here, we're going to have to keep killing. So...I think we should leave."

"You can't!"

Shard looked up in surprise and saw Vannasai's great green head curling around the corner from the alcove where she slept. She stepped into the room, looking stricken. "Why not?" Shard asked with a frown. "It's not like we're doing anyone any good here! I can't even defend myself! It would be best for everyone if we just left. Then everything would return to the way it was."

"Yeah...." Shynael said reluctantly.

"Fools!" Vannasai burst out, to both of their surprise. "How can you think that? Nothing can ever go back to the way it was. You'll be changing everything if you leave! Everything's been different since you came here, and if you leave...what will happen then? And Vesper. What about Vesper?"

"What about Vesper?" Shard asked in bewilderment.

Vannasai came closer to the bed, and she lowered her voice a little. "For four years, I have been Vesper's only friend. The others never give her any real attention, and even though she says she doesn't want them to, I can tell that she's lonely for a human friend. Every time a new Ambassador joins us, her hopes are raised – and then dashed when that Ambassador leaves us. And she can't leave this place to go live with humans, either, because of me." Vannasai's face twisted into an ugly expression Shard had never seen there before. "It's because of me that she's in this state. If it wasn't for me, she could have all the friends she wants."

"Vannasai..." Shynael said tentatively, inching closer, "I'm sure she doesn't blame you for that."

"No," Vannasai snapped. "But I'll blame myself forever if I let you two go. She told me, 'I'm so glad that Shard's my friend.' If you leave...you'll hurt her, and...she might close her heart forever." A steaming tear rolled down from her eye and fell with a hiss on the floor.

"Don't cry, Vannasai!" Shynael said in dismay, shuffling his wings and bobbing his head uncertainly, seemingly at a loss for what to do. "We won't leave, will we, Shard?"

"No," Shard replied, sinking back into his pillows. He hadn't thought that Vesper considered him much of a friend; they had barely held one conversation. But it seemed that, whether he left or stayed, he would be hurting someone. "We'll stay."

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Vesper returned in time for the midday meal, bearing plates of food for herself and Shard. Vannasai had calmed down considerably, though she was very quiet, and she left the room with Shynael for their lunch. Vesper handed Shard the plate silently and crossed over to her little table to eat. Both were silent through the entire meal; Shard felt awkward after everything Vannasai had said. Vesper didn't know what her dragon had told him, so he couldn't talk about it, and he wasn't even sure what he would say anyway. What could he say? I feel strange for you to call me your friend when you've only just started talking to me? Their relationship was already strange enough.

When they were finished and their dragons returned, Vesper crossed the room again and pointed at Shard's plate. Shard frowned as he handed it over. "What, so now you're not talking to me anymore?"

Vesper ignored him and set his plate on the table.

"Is this about me not speaking up about Advent?" Shard asked, watching her impassive face. "If it's bothering you that much, why don't you go tell Legacy what happened?"

"Because it would do you greater harm than good," Vesper replied softly, keeping her back turned to him. "And besides, it's too late now."

"What do you mean?" Shynael asked worriedly, curling up in a great heap by the bed.

Vesper slowly turned around and contemplated the two of them for a moment, then shared a look with Vannasai. Taking a deep breath, Vesper crossed over and perched on the end of the bed, staring at her hands in her lap. "I want to trust you," she murmured almost too softly to be heard. "I want to believe that you'll understand."

Vannasai lay down at Vesper's feet, and Shard was reminded of the way children would gather around storytellers in his village, sitting at their feet and listening intently. Vesper reached out and briefly ran her hand across the scales of Vannasai's shoulder, as if to reassure herself. "My father was an Ambassador," she said in her soft voice. "He came across his dragon's egg when I was ten, and when he tried to persuade my mother to join him as he ran away to raise the dragon in secret, my mother took me to live in town. She said that he was abandoning us for a monster. I believed her.

"Five years ago, I found Vannasai's egg. She hatched almost as soon as I touched it, and when I brought her home my mother told me to destroy it. I...I wonder sometimes if I would have done it if Vannasai had still been in her egg, but she was hatched and alive and speaking to me...." Vesper gazed down at her dragon. "I couldn't do it. So I ran away with Vannasai in my arms. We lived in the wild for a while, but then we started to fly and we found our way here.

"I was astonished to see my father here, with his enormous dragon that I remembered as a little hatchling. But I was happy. I could be with my father again, with people who understood about dragons. Legacy, Advent, and Glaive were there too. Everything went wonderfully...until one day, about a year after I'd arrived, there was a battle. My father never liked me fighting; he let me practice, but nothing for real. He told me to stay behind, like always. He said he'd see me that evening. But he never came back."

Vesper's voice began to tremble, and she paused for a minute to gather herself before continuing. "Advent used to pick on me, the way he's done to you. When my father was alive, I could ignore him and what he said. But then Advent started saying things about my father, started mocking the way I mourned him. Finally it grew too much for me to bear, and I...attacked him."

Shard stared at Vesper. This timid, shy little thing had raised her blade against the man who had reduced him to a bloody, moaning heap?

Vesper glanced at him and smiled sadly. "Surprised? He was too. I'd like to blame it all on dragonrage, but...I'd been wanting to hurt him for a long time. I just couldn't stop myself this time. Legacy came running when she heard us. I told her Advent provoked me...he denied it.... And who do you think she believed?"

Shynael jumped up, eyes wide. "She believed you, right? She had to believe you!"

But Shard looked at the sad little smile on Vesper's face, and he realized the truth. "She believed Advent."

Vesper nodded. "The penalty for raising your blade against another Ambassador is expulsion, but Legacy couldn't spare anyone, so instead she isolated me in one of the abandoned trees of the Ambassadors for a few weeks. She separated me from Vannasai, and kept her under watch to make sure that I would be completely alone. I wasn't angry at Legacy for punishing me. I deserved it. But sitting there in that emptiness, that dense silence...I thought about things. I thought about telling Legacy the whole truth once I got back, but I could see that she wouldn't believe that. She'd think I'd made it up during my isolation. So you see? I'm just like you.

"And once my punishment was over, I discovered something else. The others kept me at a distance; I suppose they were afraid I'd start attacking them as well. They didn't trust half of what I said. And if ever I said or did anything in the slightest against Advent, Legacy would get this look in her eyes as if she was warning me. As if she would isolate me again if I took another step. So you see? If I'd said that your wounds were sword wounds, if I so much as suggested that Advent wasn't telling the truth, Legacy would think I was trying to attack him again. She might have thought I was the one who attacked you...and when you would back me up, she'd think we were working together to get rid of Advent. She knows you don't like him either. And that's why I didn't say anything. I was hoping that you would, because she might believe you, but she surely won't believe me." She paused for breath, looking at Shard with a frustrated frown.

Shard chuckled mirthlessly and lay back against the pillows. "You're right. We're just the same. And Advent's gone free both times."

"What are we going to do?" Vannasai whispered, as if afraid that Advent might be listening.

"If either of them tries anything," Shynael growled, "I'll tear them apart."

"Shynael!" Shard said reprovingly. "I don't think there's anything really that we can do, except look out for each other. He might think he's beaten us down, so now we're afraid of him. And if that's the case, then maybe he won't bother us again."

"Well, we can hope," Vesper said without much conviction. They all sat thoughtfully for a few minutes, and then Vesper stood up, announcing that she needed to change Shard's bandages. As she bent over him, she whispered so that only he could hear, "Thank you."

Shard smiled. He could smell her motherly scent.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Esoteric » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Good.
A convincing turn around. Shard is far too nice and self-punishing to walk out now after Vannasai's information.

Legacy on the other hand gets the 'gullible leader of the year' award....
"Advent used to pick on me, the way he's done to you."

I thought Advent's harassment was supposed to have gone unnoticed by the others. But then again, it really hasn't....
She might have thought I was the one who attacked you...and when you would back me up, she'd think we were working together to get rid of Advent. She knows you don't like him either.

That's right, she does. And she knows why....
Shynael snorted. "Dislike? They hate us! You could see it in their eyes!"
"Yes, but why? We never did anything to them!"

"Nothing except exist, you mean," said a voice behind them.

Shard's heart leapt in his chest, and he turned around to find Legacy and Linygae coming up behind them. Legacy smiled, and Shard couldn't help but think about what Advent had said.

"Don't let Advent get to you," Legacy said. "He's like this to all new Ambassadors."

"He must hate a lot of people, the way he was talking," Shynael muttered.

Legacy pursed her lips. "It's not hate, exactly. It's more like...initiation, or something; I don't know. He's been here since he was a child, since before any of us except Glaive, so it takes him a while to warm up to newcomers. But don't worry. He does eventually." She smiled again; Shard's stomach flip-flopped, but he still couldn't shake Advent's words off.

Advent's eyebrows rose as if this was an unreasonable question. "Done? To us? Why, nothing, of course." And with a snicker, he swung up onto Andrael's back and the two of them flew away.

"Shard!"

Seething, Shard whirled around and snapped, "What?" Then he saw Legacy standing behind him, and felt his face grow hot. "Oh...s-sorry. I-I didn't mean...."

Legacy waved away his stammered apologies and sighed. "It shames me to say it, but I think Advent might be a little jealous of you."

Shard's face was still hot. "Jealous? Why?" He couldn't think of anything he had that Advent didn't; if anyone had a right to be jealous, it was Shard.

Legacy's eyebrows rose marginally. "Well, you are a black, after all."

Advent has a history of provocation. So...
I told her Advent provoked me...he denied it.... And who do you think she believed?"

Advent? Yup, gullible leader of the year award. :shake: Two people don't like Advent. I'd very much like to know what Glaive thinks of him, and also why Legacy thinks so highly of him. Unless she really is pompously blind to what goes on around her, there has to be a reason. She hasn't seemed that dumb, until now...
Esoteric

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:20 am

*sweats profusely* ...That's all I can say >_>

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Esoteric » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:54 am

LOL, sorry, that was a bit heavy, huh? *slaps wrist* Bad Eso!

It was a good section, it just brought up a lot of thoughts and questions in my mind, which I'm sure will eventually be answered.
Esoteric

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:50 pm

Esoteric (post: 1255989) wrote:It was a good section, it just brought up a lot of thoughts and questions in my mind, which I'm sure will eventually be answered.

...and maybe not to your liking or satisfaction, you know. Legacy is kind of a weird character, and I know one main thing about her essence, but I'm not quite clear on the rest of her :\

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:15 am

Author's Note: Next section! My brother really helped me with this; I was complaining to him as per usual about how I didn't know how to fill the time I needed to elapse before starting the events that lead up to the climax. Then he started asking questions intended to get me thinking, like, "Pick your least favorite character. Okay, now develop him." It was really helpful. The only thing is, there's going to have to be another section that's kind of low-key before the fun begins.

It was hard to tell time in Vesper's room, but Shard guessed he had been there about three days when Glaive came to visit. Gyvael was so large she couldn't fit through the door, so she remained outside while Glaive entered, carrying a large bundle of something that clanked loudly. Foregoing a greeting or inquiry into Shard's health, Glaive marched across the room and dropped his bundle at the foot of the bed. Sitting up and looking at it curiously, Shard realized it was the pieces of his black armor, bundled together in an old cloth.

"Found it at the training grounds," Glaive said in his usual, somewhat gruff manner. "Might want to be more careful about where you discard this, boy."

Shard nodded hastily; Glaive was gazing at him with an odd expression, and Shard couldn't decide whether he looked disapproving or not.

But then Glaive looked away and held up the intricately worked sheath holding Shard's sword. "Had to clean your sword. Covered in blood. And I noticed this." He pointed at a nick in the middle, and Shard remembered using the sheath to deflect Advent’s sword.

"Don't remember seeing that before," Glaive continued in a light tone, but he shot Shard a meaningful look. "And if you ask me, it doesn't look like something a dragon could have done. More like a sword."

Shard realized he was holding his breath. Did Glaive suspect the truth? Was he going to do anything about it? Was there anything he could do about it?

Then Glaive shrugged wearily and gathered up his bundle again. "Of course, Advent has always had very strong thrusts. When you're fully healed, I'm going to start teaching you and Shynael how to fight together, so you can be ready if anything like this happens again. Lark's old sheath is very special to me. I'd rather you didn't damage it any further." With that, he hefted Shard's equipment over his shoulder and strode away, calling out, "I'll drop this off in your room!"

Shard could only stare at his retreating back.

The days Shard spent recovering in Vesper's room were the most peaceful and enjoyable he could remember for a long time. Most of the time was spent sleeping or talking with Shynael; it was like their old days of wandering...without the wandering. Vesper and Vannasai would sit with them sometimes, and in those times Shard felt a happy glow burning steadily inside him. It almost felt as though they were family.

Once, Vesper shyly asked how he and Shynael had met. Shard smiled fondly, stroking Shynael's head in his lap as he thought back to the first time he had seen Shynael, the first time they had talked, the first time he had held the little black dragon in his arms. Then he began to tell her their story. Shynael interrupted several times, and Shard glossed over the slaying of the knights, but the story remained largely intact. Vannasai trilled at some of Shynael's animated descriptions of their adventures, and when Shard spoke softly of the time he and Shynael briefly separated, he looked up to find Vesper wiping tears out of her eyes.

He discovered that there was no one else he would rather tell his story to.

After a few days Vesper deemed Shard strong enough to get out of bed, and at the end of the week she took the bandages off for the last time. He stood in front of her while she carefully unwound the strips of linen; he could feel her breath on the back of his bare shoulders. At first Shard didn't realize she was finished, because his abdomen still felt stiff. Then Vesper said in a soft, embarrassed voice, "You can put your shirt back on."

Shard glanced back at her blushing face in surprise, then looked down at himself. Black scales lay scattered across his stomach, shining slickly in patches where Advent's sword had pierced. Shard couldn't help marveling at how quickly the dragon blood had done its work, how swiftly it had turned the bloody gashes into patches of scales. He briefly ran his hand over his stomach, feeling the odd combination of sensations, then pulled his shirt over his head.

"Scales don't usually grow on the stomach," Vesper said softly, busying herself with the old bandages. "But they grow over deep wounds like that. They're like scars." She bent down to pick up one of the white linen strips that had fallen to the floor, and as she did Shard caught a glimpse of green scales poking up above the collar of her dress, a thin line stretching to the back of her neck. It seemed she spoke from experience.

Shard used Vesper's warm bath, feeling as though he was washing away the last vestiges of Advent's attack. Advent had tried to kill him, but it hadn't worked. And after all the pain he had endured, how could Advent's words ever hurt him again?

When Shard emerged, he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and stopped. His shaggy hair lay limp and dripping from his head, making him look like a wet dog. He tugged at his locks of hair ruefully, frowning at his reflection.

"We can tie your hair back," Vesper said softly behind him. He hadn't even noticed her approach. She smoothed his hair back with her gentle fingers, then tied it into a little ponytail with a bit of string. It made him look older, and somewhat dignified in his richly embroidered Ambassador clothing.

Shard turned around to face Vesper and smiled. "Thanks. For everything. It's good to know that I have a friend like you to depend on."

His carefully chosen words had the effect he had been hoping for. Vesper's face lit up in a smile more genuine and happy than any he had seen. Then she ducked her head and mumbled, "I'm just glad you're all right." Shard turned to leave, but then she said almost in a whisper, "Don't let Advent do that to you again."

"I won't," he assured her. "And I won't let him hurt you either."

----------

Shard strode leisurely across the courtyard to his room in the growing twilight. Shynael was off flying somewhere with Vannasai, and everyone else had dispersed after the evening meal. He passed by one of the many cave-like doors and heard the rumble of voices. He didn't mean to eavesdrop at first, but when he heard his own name he stopped short.

"-way he acts around Shard, I'd have thought it was obvious," said the gravelly voice of Glaive.

"What are you suggesting?" Legacy demanded sharply. "That Advent did that to Shard? Glaive, a dragon attacked him."

"How can you be sure of that?" Glaive growled. "Were you there? That's Advent's story, but we don't have any proof-"

"Proof?" Legacy cried indignantly. "Shard had ten gashes right through his body; how much more proof do you need?!"

Gyvael talked over the two of them, her rumbling voice cutting off their argument before it could really get started. "Regardless of whether Advent's story is true or not, our point is the same."

"And what point is that?" Linygae asked silkily.

"That you need to be careful around Advent!" Glaive paused, and when he spoke again his voice was somewhat softer. "Legacy...I know he was a comfort to you when Adamant died, but-"

"Don't!" Legacy snarled, her voice cracking like a whip. A thousand emotions swirled behind the anger in her voice. "Don't."

"We know what it is to lose a soul-bond," Gyvael said gently. "We feel that pain just as acutely as you do."

"No, you don't," Legacy snapped in a vicious whisper. "Your soul-bond died in childbirth, Glaive. Adamant...he was brutally murdered. By my own kinsmen. How could you ever understand how much that hurts me, even two years later?"

A weighted silence hung between them, and no one made a sound.

"Nevertheless," Gyvael finally spoke up, "you know that Advent has a dangerous temper. He is jealous of Shard, and it's not because he's a black, as you say."

"No?" Legacy asked bitterly. "Then why?"

"He's infatuated with you," Glaive growled out.

Shard had heard all he could stand. He tiptoed away from Legacy’s room, his mind spinning.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:30 am

Legacy seemed slightly more aloof than usual the next day, but other than that she gave no indication that her conversation with Glaive had affected her at all. Shard felt even more awkward than usual around her, awkward and confused. The words he had overheard kept on echoing around his head: I know he was a comfort to you when Adamant died.... We know what it is to lose a soul-bond.... He's infatuated with you.... He wasn't even sure what he thought of Legacy anymore. He still thought she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, but now it seemed that she was more unreachable than ever. Advent had comforted her in her grief. She had defended him, and as if that wasn't enough, she had had a soul-bond before. With all that, how could Shard hope to have any chance at all?

And at the same time, guilt racked him as he acknowledged that he shouldn't have eavesdropped in the first place.

Naturally, he couldn't talk about any of this confusion with Legacy, and he didn't think he could speak of it to Shynael either. Shynael wasn't even six months old yet; how could he make sense of something Shard couldn't? All the same, Shard thought he felt the dragon's eyes examining him in concern from time to time that morning.

"We'll be teaching you how to strengthen the bond between you two," Legacy said when Shard and Shynael joined her in the main courtyard. "Your bond is essential for survival in these hard times. If it becomes strong enough, you can even hold conversations when you're miles apart. I've seen Glaive do it countless times. Now come; we'll need to fly for this."

Shard swung up onto Shynael and the two dragons broke through the canopy of the trees, flying up so high Shard wasn't even sure which of the many green tufts below him was the Ambassador residence.

"Shard," Legacy called across to him, "I want you to jump off."

"What?!" Shard yelped, looking down at the sea of trees below him. "B-But I'll-"

"Exactly," Linygae interrupted coolly. "Shynael, if you don't want your human to fall to his death, you'll have to catch him."

"You guys are crazy," Shynael choked out, his eyes wide and fearful as he glanced back at Shard. "How is this going to help anything?"

"To make a muscle stronger, you must exercise it," Legacy replied. "It's the same way with your bond. Test its limits, and it will grow stronger. Each of you must be aware of where the other is at all times. So, Shard. Jump."

"Don't do it, Shard," Shynael hissed.

Shard's heart was pounding in his throat. Legacy's 'lesson' seemed rather ridiculous and dangerous, but Shard knew the strengthening of their bond was important. If what Legacy had said was true, Shard might even be able to call Shynael through their bond if they were separated as they had been when Advent attacked. And the old desire to impress Legacy rose up inside of him as well. "I trust you, Shynael," he murmured so only his dragon could hear. "I know you won't let me fall."

"But I don't trust myself."

Shard looked into the great golden eyes gazing back at him, and felt Shynael's presence pressing in on his mind, clinging to him frantically. But his mind was already made up, and Shynael could see that. Shard carefully stood up on Shynael's back and looked over the side, grasping one of the spikes on the dragon's neck to keep his balance. Shard couldn't even see the ground through the thick canopy, and suddenly all his resolve wavered. I trust him. He'll catch me. I trust him, he thought over and over, steeling himself to do what every instinct was screaming at him not to.

He jumped.

At first he felt as though he was floating, but slowly he began to turn over in the air, till his head was pointing down towards the trees. Suddenly, he lost his grip on Shynael's mind as he plunged into an ocean of fear. The air howled around him as he fell, rushing closer and closer to his death. He couldn't breathe. He felt as though his heart had stopped.

When he was barely three feet above the tops of the trees, he collided with a mass of wonderfully solid black scales just as Shynael's mind smashed into his. Somehow, he had managed to land right behind Shynael's neck, as though he had never moved from it. Shard sat there, trembling and dazed, for several moments before he realized that Shynael was sobbing.

Linygae began to circle down towards them, but Shynael streaked down to land on the solid floor of the Ambassador courtyard before she could say anything. Shynael's mind pressed forcefully against Shard's; he could feel the dragon's fear as potently as his own. Shard quickly slipped down to the ground and hugged Shynael’s neck.

I was so scared.... I thought I wasn't going to be able to catch you. Shard wasn't sure whether he heard the voice with his ears or his mind.

It's all right, Shynael, he whispered, but he couldn't feel his lips move. You caught me, just like I knew you would.

They finally broke apart, but Shard kept one hand on Shynael's neck, rubbing the scales soothingly as the dragon's sobs gradually subsided. He looked over at Legacy, and once more confusion filled him. He didn't think this was really the best way to go about teaching a lesson, but...she looked impressed.

"Keep going at this rate and soon I won't have anything more to teach you."

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Esoteric » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 pm

I must say, I'm quite impressed that you turned out more on this story at the same time you were working on others. You sure can crank out the work!

I am happy to see that you've begun to address some lingering issues in this section. We're learning more about Glaive and especially Legacy, which is important. I understand a little better now why she blinds herself to Advent's flaws. Good developments, keep it coming!
:thumb:
Esoteric

Postby kryptech » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:27 am

I liked the continuing development of the 3 ambassadors. Like Esoteric mentioned, the conversation between Glaive and Legacy helped to shed a little more light on Lagacy's point of view. I also find your description of the dragon bond interesting - "Shynael's mind smashed into his".

kryptech

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:52 am

Esoteric (post: 1260761) wrote:I must say, I'm quite impressed that you turned out more on this story at the same time you were working on others. You sure can crank out the work!

When I want to, anyway :lol: :eyeroll: I'm just getting really excited about the climax of this story, so I want to get there fast.

I am happy to see that you've begun to address some lingering issues in this section. We're learning more about Glaive and especially Legacy, which is important. I understand a little better now why she blinds herself to Advent's flaws. Good developments, keep it coming!
:thumb:

kryptech (post: 1260865) wrote:I liked the continuing development of the 3 ambassadors. Like Esoteric mentioned, the conversation between Glaive and Legacy helped to shed a little more light on Lagacy's point of view.

Oh good, you bought it! :sweat: That conversation was a result of me panicking and sweating over your musings about Legacy in the past section or two. I really ought to come up with these things beforehand.... >_>

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Author's Note: Sorry this one is a bit shorter than usual, but I wanted to get through with the stuff about lessons and whatnot because after this section things get kind of crazy kind of fast. I promise you, things will become very exciting after this!

Before they emerged from their room on the second day of Legacy's new lessons, Shard and Shynael shared a steadying look that said, clearer than any words, Hold tight. Don't let go. Shard swung up onto his usual perch, and as he placed his hand against the dragon's neck, he reached out to touch Shynael's mind. He visualized their interlocked minds as hands grasping each other tightly, and held onto this image as Shynael made his way reluctantly out into the courtyard.

Legacy merely nodded to them before they rose into the air high above the treetops, Linygae hovering several feet above Shynael. Shard knew what was expected of him, and slowly got to his feet on Shynael's shoulders. He clenched his mind around the image of the two hands and stood steeling himself for the sheer terror he knew he would feel.

Before he was even half ready, he saw a sudden red blur out of the corner of his eye, and Shynael suddenly lurched, throwing Shard through the air. Shard let out a surprised yell as he found himself sailing downward much sooner than he would have liked. The bottom of his stomach fell away as he saw the branches zooming ever closer, and the hands he had visualized fumbled, then broke apart.

For two excruciating seconds that seemed to last decades, his hand groped desperately in the dark as he plummeted downward. Then he felt a pulse of life, a faint brushing of fingertips against his outstretched palm. With all his might, Shard reached for the hand that lay just out of sight...and then he felt that hand wrap around his own, jerking him to a halt and stopping his fall. Shard realized he was sitting behind Shynael's neck again, his hand closed in a fist. His palm tingled as though he had actually touched another hand. Shard shook his head; that was absurd. Shynael doesn't have hands.

"Why did you do that?" Shynael demanded, shaking all over.

Linygae hovered a short distance away. "You need to be prepared for something unexpected like that to happen," Legacy called to them. "When someone knocks you off your dragon, they aren't going to tell you and wait politely while you prepare yourself. Now, let's try that again."

"Again?!" Shynael moaned.

Legacy's lessons continued, and while Shard would never get used to the way his heart stopped when he began to fall, he and Shynael became more confident about their bond as the days drew on. They could never really relax during these lessons, for they knew that one moment of inattention could put an end to everything, but as long their minds were connected like clasped hands, they knew Shynael would catch Shard.

And slowly Shard began to notice how increasingly aware he was of Shynael's mind throughout the day, even when they weren't focusing all their attention on the bond. Their minds were always distinct, but Shard discovered that if he concentrated, he could usually tell what his dragon was thinking.

Legacy's lessons fit in very well with Glaive's lessons. True to his word, the four Ambassadors now fought all together, the two dragons soaring at each other over the red leaves that hid the practice grounds from view. It was rather intimidating to face up against the hulking, brilliantly purple Gyvael, but at the same time these lessons gave Shard a feeling of power he had never experienced. Shynael's strong muscles moved under him as the dragons twisted about each other, dancing a deadly ballet in the air.

Glaive called out instructions as usual, teaching Shard how to take the techniques he had learned and apply them to aerial combat, which posed its own unique problems. Shard discovered that while their swords didn't meet half as often as when they had been on their feet, balance was even more important. And Shard also found that his bond with Shynael was the most important part; their every movement had to be coordinated, or Gyvael's talons would scrape across Shynael's scales and Glaive's sword would come whistling dangerously close to Shard.

Shard tried to believe that he didn't enjoy the deadly power he felt when he soared through the air, whipping his sword about. He tried to convince himself the only reason he continued with these lessons was so he could be prepared if another attack came. But a small part of him couldn't help acknowledging that he liked sparring with Glaive, that the weariness at the end of the day brought a sense of fulfillment, that the muscles that had grown firm and strong around his body were very satisfying indeed. He tried not to think about it too much, afraid of where such thoughts might lead him. No, it was better to go about everyday life and proceed through his lessons without thinking too hard.

One day, Shard emerged from the steamy bath room with only a towel wrapped around his waist, as was usual after a sweaty sparring session with Glaive. But when the door swung shut behind him and he looked up, he saw that Shynael was accompanied by Vesper and Vannasai.

There was an awkward moment where Shard and Vesper stared at each other, their cheeks growing redder and redder, and then they burst into apologies.

"I'm so sorry; I should have waited-"

"No, it's my fault; I didn't-"

They continued spluttering at each other in embarrassment for a few moments, then Vesper quickly turned away as Shard scrambled around for some clothes. It seemed to take an unbearably long amount of time for him to find any and jam them on. When Shard was finally clad in a mismatched but much more modest outfit, they all stood around somewhat awkwardly.

"I brought you a drink," Vesper said in what was almost a whisper, her cheeks still flaming as brightly as Linygae's scales.

"Thanks," Shard said, crossing the room to pick up a steaming cup of some warm, dark liquid. He took a swallow, and it slithered comfortably down his throat, warming him from the inside out. He looked at Vesper surreptitiously over the rim of his cup; he didn't think her visit was really about the drink. That had just been an excuse, a reason to visit him so she could talk about something else.

But now Vesper didn't look like she wanted to speak ever again; she sat twisting her fingers in her lap, staring fixedly at her feet. Shard stood dumbly next to her, sipping his warm drink and wishing he could think of a way to ask what she wanted without sounding rude or tactless.

Finally Shard noticed the matching cup sitting on a tray that Vesper must have brought. He picked it up and handed it to her. "Your drink's getting cold."

Vesper jumped and hastily grabbed the cup. She froze when their fingers touched, then blushed again and quickly took a gulp, coughing and spluttering and making her cheeks even redder.

Shard smiled bemusedly. What was wrong with Vesper today? "Relax," he said, thumping her on the back. "You don't want to choke."

Then Shard glanced up at the dragons, who were sharing a look that said plainly, Humans! Rolling his eyes, Shynael lay down where he was, exhausted from the stresses of the day.

After a few minutes of silence, Vesper tentatively reached out and touched Shynael's neck. One huge yellow eye cracked open, but he didn't seem to mind, so Vesper began to stroke his smooth scales. Shard was under the impression that she was trying to calm her nerves, to bolster her courage before saying whatever it was she had come to say. Slowly her gentle fingers found the small, slick scales on Shynael's nose, his favorite place to be rubbed. The black dragon purred contentedly, and as he did Shard felt a small, pleasurable tingle in his own nose.

For a while there was no sound other than Shynael's steady purring. Finally Vesper's voice curled up through the purrs, soft and warm. "Shard...there's something I need to tell you. I-"

"What are you doing?" Linygae's voice called through the doorway, sounding loud and jarring in the silence. "It's past time to hunt!"

"We're coming!" Shynael called, getting to his feet with many a grumble. "Right when I was getting comfortable, too."

"What were you saying?" Shard asked as they made their way to the door.

Vesper kept her face turned away from him. "Never mind," she murmured.

He could hear the disappointment in her voice.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Esoteric » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:27 am

Vesper sure is twitter-pated...or nervous. I wonder what she was going to say. The training is a good continuation from before. Like you say, it's short section, so there's not much else to comment on. A nice transition section.

Small point...if Vesper had been the one taking (complete) care of Shard while he was injured, she would be used to seeing him without clothes. Shard, on the other hand, would probably be the more embarrassed of the two.
Esoteric

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:58 am

Hee, twitter-pated. I love that word. Hooray to Bambi for introducing me to that concept :lol:

Anyway, you have a good point there, about Vesper being kind of used to seeing him without clothes :red: I'll take that into consideration.

And don't worry; you'll find out what she was going to say...in two sections ;) No, wait, three :eh:

Man, the last few days I haven't been able to stop working through the remaining scenes in my head over and over again! Though I've noticed that the scenes with the most action are the ones that seem to get the least of my attention. Blah, I've always been a sucker for the more emotional scenes :dizzy:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to Writing